Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok apple was wrong what ever it is but there was zero changes on iPhone 6-11 in terms of bug fixes or changes.... you had to remove RC profile to get public update. Before when you had dev profile before when they called it GM we would go from dev to GM and GM would be the same as public. Now RC is frozen last build with no further changes to dev/beta users.

if you install RC or public release you don’t get any fixes or changes under the hood ZERO
If everything was exactly the same there wouldn't be a difference in the builds. Whether or not the changes are noticeable or meaningful is a somewhat different and separate question.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
Sorry but you are simply wrong. On several levels. The letter at the end is a particular build of that version so 18B5091b would indicate a beta build ( the “5”) and the second compile/version of that build (“b”). A=1st B=2nd and so on. IF that beta goes in to be a release build then it becomes 18B91 dropping the 5 and the build revision letter at the end. There is no different build number for dev channel vs public channel. There is ALWAYS a possibility that the RC and final may be slightly different builds. Nothing to do with feature code freeze in this regard.

I know what letters mean it’s how far it’s is internally how long it went internally before release.

Ok let continue and see.... you’ll see you will go from RC to next beta with dev profile. Not from RC to public release to next beta.

we used to go from dev-GM and GM was same build as public.... now RC is final fixes and bus fixes for dev/beta we no longer go from RC to public to next beta! We skip public release cause it’s the same internally with no changes! RC is frozen with changes and fixes

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
The build numbers now separate testers from public that’s is all...... just because you installed public release doesn’t mean you got anything new or special from RC... so RC is final build for this and that’s is it what I am trying to explain.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The build numbers now separate testers from public that’s is all...... just because you installed public release doesn’t mean you got anything new or special from RC... so RC is final build for this and that’s is it what I am trying to explain.
There have been plenty of RC/GM builds that came out as the same exact builds when released to the public. There have been some where the build that came out to the public was different than the RC/GM one (iOS 14.2 being the most recent example of that).

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
There have been plenty of RC/GM builds that came out as the same exact builds when released to the public. There have been some where the build that came out to the public was different than the RC/GM one (iOS 14.2 being the most recent example of that).
Missing the point as of when they changed the name from GM to RC, that’s when RC became GM.

listen let’s move on, I really don’t care so ok I’m wrong you right , apple internal tram is wrong.

What ever makes you happy at the end of the day is all that matters. Go ahead and try to install a public release with a developers profile next week you won’t get it. You have to remove dev profile install public release I order to get the update.

the reason why you have to do that is because RC won’t let go to public release because internally it’s the same thing with no bugs or changes

do you not understand what I am saying? Before they ch aged the naming convention from RC to GM, we went from beta to GM (same build as public release) and then we went to another beta with our removing the profile. Now once again it’s RC straight to another beta not from RC to public release to beta

• Haha
Reactions: Jada34

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
the reason why you have to do that is because RC won’t let go to public release because internally it’s the same thing with no bugs or changes
Or because the developer/beta profile is there for developer/beta releases and not public releases.
do you not understand what I am saying? Before they ch aged the naming convention from RC to GM, we went from beta to GM (same build as public release) and then we went to another beta with our removing the profile. Now once again it’s RC straight to another beta not from RC to public release to beta
You are overlooking that there have been releases where the GM/RC build was the same one as the one that was released to the public, and there have been some releases where the public release was a different build than the GM/RC.

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
Or because the developer/beta profile is there for developer/beta releases and not public releases.
For the past for years since iPhone 7 Plus that was never an issue you went from beta to GM(same build as public release)to another beta

now RC to another beta GM became RC for us and public release of for general!!!

End of story.

4 years I have been going from beta to GM(pub) to another beta. I never had to remove my profile to receive public release now you need to remove to receive general public release but that’s just to get off the dev/beta cycle.

I don’t know how much clearer I could be!
Before you could go from beta to public GM release there is no more GM it’s called RC exactly what we got today!

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
Wi-fi calling working on RC 14.3 on my iPhone 12 Pro (another poster had identified Wi-fi calling issues that I was unaware of) No issues here thankfully.
It’s Brocken for Dual sim people I think.

I never once in 4 years of beta testing ever had WiFi calling disappear on me

SpecMode

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
NorCal
FWIW, the reason Apple has gone back to calling these builds "Release Candidate" is likely in line with much of the rest of the tech industry moving away from using terms like "master" (as in "Golden Master") due to longstanding racial connotations (the company I work for being one of them).

It's mostly semantics, in any case — the last builds before a public release are quite often called "release candidates", whether it's an iOS release, a switch software build, or any other large software product — it's standard software development terminology that has been in use by many companies for many years. There's a reason they're referred to as "candidates" — there's always the chance that a bug may be found in an RC build that necessitates a new build, and there won't always be another posted RC build before the final release (see: build increment from 14.2 RC to 14.2 release).

Reactions: dcp10 and sbailey4

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Tell me why final 14.2 would have two different build numbers for final release than?
You do realize that two weeks after 14.2 came out they seeded a revised build for iPhone 12 users, right? That is why there are two 14.2 build numbers. Dev and PB have never had separate build numbers - ever. MacOS 10 betas had different build numbers depending on Dev vs PB.

Reactions: sbailey4

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
14.3 RC right now is the final build and yes Monday general public will get 14.3... also the new head phones will be out Monday or Tuesday and they can only work with 14.3 it’s a must they push out before they sell their products to consumers other wise it won’t work... people can’t buy fitness plus and head phones and not have software to support it!
I think you entirely missed the point of my post. I’m aware it has to be out Monday. I’m saying it is likely to be released before Monday.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
For the past for years since iPhone 7 Plus that was never an issue you went from beta to GM(same build as public release)to another beta

now RC to another beta GM became RC for us and public release of for general!!!

End of story.

4 years I have been going from beta to GM(pub) to another beta. I never had to remove my profile to receive public release now you need to remove to receive general public release but that’s just to get off the dev/beta cycle.

I don’t know how much clearer I could be!
Before you could go from beta to public GM release there is no more GM it’s called RC exactly what we got today!
You are confusing final beta with GM. Before the new terminology with RC, GM was reserved only for x.0 releases. Point builds got final beta, but not GMs.

—————-
Does Macrumors no longer merge posts anymore. Sorry all for the multiple posts.

Reactions: sbailey4

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Has to be out by the 14th for Fitness+. My guess is a Thursday or Friday release.

This seems most likely since the earliest date is 14th for Fitness+. On another note, I am waiting for Fitness+ Max to launch while we are running this funny nomenclature.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Perhaps a "reset all settings" is in order. Not just network. That should be a visible setting option whether you use it or not.
Reset all settings and even a DFU restore with set as new did not bring back Wifi calling on iPhone X iOS 14.3 RC and Jio carrier ?

Reactions: uandme72

Christyap

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2020
Athens, Greece
I didn't read all comments. How's the battery after the upgrade? I bought my 11 Pro max in August. I charged it every other night and now I charge it every day.

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Just leaving a post to raise more awareness about iCloud tabs not working properly.

We have been discussing a lot about this in one of the threads in iOS 14 forum, but I thought the more people know, the more people take action (report to Apple)

Hopefully Apple acknowledge the issue to the public and get it fixed asap

Maloney~888

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2018
For those with Wi-fi calling issues, have you tried removing and reinserting your sim card?

Boomer5100

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2016
Message notifications are still screwed up. Some come through and others do not. No pattern at all. This RC did nothing to resolve the issue and appears Apple doesn't know how to fix it based on their engineer's comments to some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.