Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Update: iOS 14.5 is now available. Our full coverage:

Apple plans to release iOS 14.5 later today, according to media outlets like The New York Times and the UK's Financial Times. The software update has been in beta testing since February 1 and has a long list of new features, including the ability to unlock an iPhone with Face ID while wearing a mask with the assistance of an Apple Watch.

iOS 14.5 also introduces support for 5G in Dual-SIM mode on iPhone 12 models, new Waze-like features in Apple Maps, AirPlay 2 streaming for Apple Fitness+ workouts, new emoji, new Siri voices, support for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X game controllers, a redesigned Apple Podcasts app, a Battery Health bug fix for iPhone 11 models, and more.

Starting with iOS 14.5, Apple will also be enforcing App Tracking Transparency, which will require apps to receive a user's permission to track their activity across other apps and websites for targeted advertising purposes.

Apple previously confirmed that iOS 14.5, iPadOS 14.5, and tvOS 14.5 will be released this week. The software updates will likely be released around 10 a.m. Pacific Time as usual (see our list of other time zones). We can likely expect the release of macOS 11.3 this week too given the Release Candidate version was seeded last week.

Article Link: iOS 14.5 Will Reportedly Be Released Later Today [Update: It's Out Now]

Last edited:

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
My iphone is unlocking with mask since last week (I’m on 14.4 and no watch).

I am the only one?

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Sadly, in my case, it's not consistently working, only 50%.
Found out I wasn't the only one in another MR thread.
It's hit and miss here too. Once I put my watch away and looked at my phone a couple seconds later and the watch buzzed on the desk telling me that it unlocked my phone. That was 2 or 3 weeks ago and had me worried a little bit.

I believe unlocking with the watch still requires FaceId to identify a partial face. With many of us wearing glasses, getting longer hair and the mask covering mouth and nose, there's literally no face left for faceId to see.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
My iphone is unlocking with mask since last week (I’m on 14.4 and no watch).

I am the only one?
Nope, not the only one. The phone has NO problems at all unlocking with the black gaiter and mask I usually wear (neck, chin, cheeks covered...even eyes with my sunglasses on) - been doing this for a few months.

But I did notice a few days ago it won't unlock no matter what if I have the cheaper surgical mask on. Odd.

Reactions: ignatius345

Toratek

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2019
I’ve been running the RC on primary phone and watch since it was released, no drama at all. Battery took a hit, as expected, the first couple of days but has settled down nicely. Watch unlock is a very good thing, but note that if your phone and watch aren’t on the exact same network, as can happen with some home Wi-Fi configurations, it won’t work. Away from home, where it’s really needed, it has been 100%.

steevn

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2016
I was most excited about the Airplay Fitness+ feature but now I’m going to cave and buy the new Apple TV everyone said wasn’t coming out yet lol. The unlock with watch feature will be a great and needed feature still.

IIGS User

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2019
I hope 14.5 is stable enough. The feedback from the beta testers here in the forum doesn't sound so good.
I've had no issues with the beta or the watch unlocking/face mask feature.

As far as the Zuck goes, I stopped using FB about 3 months ago. With the exception of my old lady asking why I stopped using FB (I just got sick of the toxic politics and arguments) I haven't given it much thought. I for sure don't miss it ONE BIT.

My favorite thing about the watch/mask unlock feature is I use an in store app when I shop at one of the major price clubs in the US. The app lets you scan items as you shop to digitally clip or check for coupons. It then automatically links them to your club card and takes them off at the register. I've saved probably close to $300 this year alone using it.

Dropping my face mask in the store wasn't really an option, and I use a complex passcode on my phone which is a PITA to unlock every time you use the app after your phone auto locks.

It's a good feature I imagine a lot of people will appreciate. I was once again surprised this weekend when I realized how few people are still unfamiliar with Apple Pay on the watch. We were down the beach this weekend, and while a lot (if not all) merchants take Apple Pay, a lot of them were unfamiliar with how it works. This ran the table from teenagers working part time jobs, to merchants in their 50's running their own boutique shops. Their new POS systems accept it, they just don't know.

IMHO the combination of Pay and the watch is one of my favorite Apple "things". I use it almost daily and recently when I had to go to a training where I had to remove my watch and jewelry. When I walked into a store on my break to buy lunch I realized I didn't have my watch to pay with and had to go back out to the car to get my wallet.

I realized I tap my watch more than I open my wallet anymore....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.