Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Android fanboys? Try Windows Phone fanboys. This is like 2010 era Windows Phone 7.
Android used widgets far before Windows Phone ever did. With that being said, I agree that it looks like Windows Phone and I also have to say that I was a fan of Windows phone so I’m excited to have these features again.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
So with MacOS getting new icons one would then assume before the betas come to a close iOS/iPadOS should get the same as well? The new ones look so nice, while the originals are now look dated in comparison.

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
App Library = Nope. I already have my apps organized in folders the way I want. I don’t need Apple’s curated mess thanks.

OK but, for other like me this is awesome:

I've always find nonsense to swipe trough pages, or increasing tap cont when opening a folder to get an app inside a folder and then at te 3rd-4rth page inside that folder.

I'm always about speed/efficiency, so I only tap apps in my first homescreen page and every other app is inside one folder and I scroll down > spotlight < to open any app that is not in my homescreen

So yeah, app library is awersome. I've always used only one app page. swipe right for widgets, and that's it. Now swipe left for "rest of apps". Awesome.

Reactions: AnthroMatt

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
Gestures. No better way to confound and frustrate anyone over 40 with declining eye-hand and motor skill acuity. And of course they are going to force your hand (no pun intended...) to update in week one.
How old are you? I am 75 don't have any problems eye-hand motor skills, just some mild arthritis. You can see my current motorcycle in my avatar which takes considerable motor skills through the canyons and back roads (no freeways thanks).

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Oh sweet lord THANK YOU, this is what Android used to be like, how ironic. Now widgets on Android suck and Apple gets real widgets. Along with last year's dark mode support I'm in heaven.

My only other wishlist item would be to be able to have blank spaces between icons. I currently use the shortcut trick to get blank icons, but they still trigger a shortcut if accidentally pressed.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have called the iOS home screen aka Springboard stale and outdated and inadequately designed for dealing with current phone usage and multitudes of apps for several years now and while it may not be perfect, Apple has finally taken a step in the right direction.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Number row on the keyboard, Please.

Damn you, I thought all of my wishlist was satisfied!! Can't count the number of times I've almost dropped my phone using it one handed and trying to reach all the way over to hit the numbers key!!

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Widgets and customization was the only thing I was missing from my Samsung days. While it's still within a framework, it's giving me what I was looking for while remaining clean.

Apps Library is click, but I just hope the Apps Library doesn't start trying to move things around for me like Photos does sometimes. Hopefully that can be toggled off in Settings somewhere.

Hopefully many bugs in 13 will be taken care of. I need the Music app to be fixed in iOS 14. I've been looking at mixed icons for months.

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
App Library = Nope. I already have my apps organized in folders the way I want. I don’t need Apple’s curated mess thanks.

Amazing that they haven't based this just on how you have things set up. I think a lot of people end up with a lot of apps they rarely use stuck away over several pages. A way if quickly and easily decluttering them seems a reasonable thing to have, even if not everyone makes use of it.

jml1982

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2015
I wish you could have some apps right on the home screen, like weather... I can't believe this still isn't an option...
[automerge]1592855099[/automerge]
I noticed in the stream that it would snap a 2x2 widget to rows 1&2 or rows 3&4 of the home screen, but not rows 2&3. Did I imagine that or is it a limitation of the widget placement? The latter would imply this is not such a remarkable evolution such as allowing us to arbitrarily place apps around the edge of the screen, for example.

Yeah, I would like some pages to start from the bottom instead of the top for better one handed use. Especially on bigger phonen.

Superman730

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
One thing I thought would be a gimme... Keep "Today View" on every page in iPadOS... Maybe come fall...

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Gestures. No better way to confound and frustrate anyone over 40 with declining eye-hand and motor skill acuity. And of course they are going to force your hand (no pun intended...) to update in week one.
My mother's hand shakes and she really struggles pressing once, always interpreted as scrolling.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
But do my shortcuts still need to be touching the top of the screen? Or can I start my icons from the bottom yet? Or put some in the top and some at the bottom and have a gap in between so I can see my background?
This is a hack (not a jailbreak, just a hack-y way to use the existing tools), but if you go to http://makeovr.io they’ve got a way to put icons where you want them, using fake app icons set to look just like that part of your home screen. There are some downsides, but if you like to have it all on just one screen it’s ok.

1592857229648.png

PhoenixFireless

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2016
Damn you, I thought all of my wishlist was satisfied!! Can't count the number of times I've almost dropped my phone using it one handed and trying to reach all the way over to hit the numbers key!!

uhm...there's a one handed keyboard.
also iOS has been supporting 3rd party and custom keyboards for a while.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
As someone who ALWAYS uses search to open apps, this is great. Maybe I’ll just put widgets on page 1, and use the new feature for everything else.
Exactly what I was thinking. I will use a couple of smart stack widgets and only the dock for my must have 4 apps I might need anytime. Anything else will be in the App Library.
[automerge]1592859107[/automerge]
How about Left swipe is your widget panel and Right swipe is this new auto catorgized app squares.

The middle panel is the default, most used apps. That you choose.
You can do that. You can leave your widget where they are now, in the first page, then your apps in the middle one, then right swipe to your app library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.