Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to introduce a new screen that allows users to view all of their installed apps in a list in iOS 14, with several sorting options available, according to code seen by 9to5Mac. A basic version of this feature already exists on the Apple Watch, as shown below.

list-view-apple-watch.png

The list will presumably be in alphabetical order by default, with the report claiming that users will be able to set filters such as recently used apps or apps with unread notifications. This will provide users with a third way to view their installed apps beyond swiping through home screen pages or dragging down on the home screen and using the search function.

In a separate report, 9to5Mac claims that there is a possibility that third-party wallpaper packs will be supported in the Settings app on iOS 14, with Apple planning to introduce several new wallpaper categories to help sort through them. It is already possible to set any image as a wallpaper on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, but this feature would provide users with countless wallpapers to choose from right in the Settings app.

iOS 14 is also expected to include new HomeKit features like face classification in HomeKit camera video streams, a new accessibility feature that can possibly provide haptic feedback for important sounds like fire alarms and doorbells, Alipay support for Apple Pay, and integration of Apple's "Shot on iPhone" challenges in the Photos app.

Last, 9to5Mac has uncovered evidence of a new version of the Apple TV remote in iOS 14, but no further details are known at this time.

Article Link: iOS 14 Leaks: List View for Apps, Settings App May Support Custom Wallpaper Packs, New Apple TV Remote, and More

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hopefully it allows for customizable animated wallpapers. We've been limited to some passing 3D Touch wallpapers over the years, along with some colored orbs. It's pretty weird that this isn't a thing already.

Reactions: Feyl and H3LL5P4WN

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
Apple knew damn well what we wanted when we asked for a home screen redesign. And did they give it to us? No. Just this sad excuse for a "redesign"

Reactions: Feyl

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Apple knew damn well what we wanted when we asked for a home screen redesign. And did they give it to us? No. Just this sad excuse for a "redesign"

Apple is taking it slow, measured steps and I appreciate that. iOS 14 sounds quite appealing to this point. Clean up the lingering 13.x issues and add in a few features, that would work for me

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Certainly not what you would think for home screen design.

Overall though iOS 14 sounds very promising

Agreed!

New home screen design, default app selection. Makes me wonder what else people will "demand". I could certainly think of some niche features. A little more granularity on the DND settings would be nice, for both individuals and apps

Reactions: QuarterSwede

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Certainly not what you would think for home screen design.

Overall though iOS 14 sounds very promising
Agreed, although, this states a new screen but not necessarily the home screen. I’m guessing that if it is in fact the home screen maybe there will be a choice to set home screen as the current grid (getting tired) to the list view.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Seems like Apple changes the remote app every year. Wish they would change the actual remote.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This is as bad as that firmware that leaked. Seems like everything for iOS 14 will be known before it’s announced by Apple. I thought the company was cracking down on leaks.

Reactions: biracialfamily91

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Here’s one thing I wish Apple would do: if you use folders, when you long press on an app (either inside or outside of a folder) it would give you an option to move to folder and then a list of folders. The current method of having to drag an app with your fingers into a folder is not a great experience. I also wish there was a place in settings where you could easily re-arrange apps in folders. Again, having to drag an app with your finger between pages within a folder is cumbersome. Half the time I end up dragging an app out of a folder because of my fat fingers. They could make this much better.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Apple is taking it slow, measured steps and I appreciate that. iOS 14 sounds quite appealing to this point. Clean up the lingering 13.x issues and add in a few features, that would work for me

14 looks like more of the same mediocre garbage to me. I want a fully customizable homescreen.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Excuse me but how can I see the list view like that on the Apple Watch? ?

asking for a friend ... on his 2nd Apple Watch

Click the crown once. Scroll out so you can see all the apps, then press and hold on the main screen with your finger and you'll get a request for Grid View vs List View.

Sometimes you have to press and hold in the upper right area of the screen to get it to toggle (as center doesn't always trigger it for me).

3FC9E6F1-7D26-4C7A-BB2D-19CBAFC3798E.jpeg

Reactions: itsmilo and rp2011

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
A little more granularity on the DND settings would be nice, for both individuals and apps

I've been sending feedback in to Apple for years on customizable DND settings (different schedules for weekdays vs weekend for example). That is one feature request that would make an immediate difference for me.

Nothing so far. :(

PostApple2016BrainWash

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2019

Apple is taking it slow, one of the reasons why it almost bankrupt in 1997.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
List View! Thank You!
Wow, why so long for something so useful and basic. The first thing I do on the Apple Watch is change that stupid mess of icons that is the default and get list view. The iphone and iPad have needed this from day one.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Can we make it so the Watch displays the time all night in nightstand mode? I leave my watch in one of those cheap cradles that uses the charging puck that shipped with the watch, and would like to be able to use it as a clock.

I can't be the only person who would want a feature like this...

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Click the crown once. Scroll out so you can see all the apps, then press and hold on the main screen with your finger and you'll get a request for Grid View vs List View.

Sometimes you have to press and hold in the upper right area of the screen to get it to toggle (as center doesn't always trigger it for me).

View attachment 898491
This is the first thing i change on the Apple Watch. Grid view is nuts! Glad the option is there for whomever wants it, but wow, so glad this is hopefully coming to the iphone and iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.