Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FindingAvalon

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2021
When you can factually state my knowledge level, go for it. You do not know me nor my skill set.
Till then you're posting your opinion.
Ummm, your “knowledge level” is evident for everyone to see, written in black and white. So no, it’s not merely an opinion.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Can someone explain why people are getting so angry about a feature that detects CP? Why is that a bad thing? ?
They *think* they’re being spied on because they don’t understand how the technology works.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
You are missing the point.
1. I and many others are not in favor of this functionality. That has been apparent to Apple as they are playing with changing the functionality.
2. Personally I would rather have something like this as an app instead of baked into the OS.
Messages *is* an app.
Just because it’s included in the operating system doesn’t stop it from being an app, all they did was add a new toggle in its settings.
Once again going back to my example, the ringtones are built into the operating system. They don’t need to be an optional download, that’s just stupid.
While you’re at it, make the flash in the camera app an optional Application as well, and make the voicemail tab in the phone app it’s own app as well since I never use it

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Messages *is* an app.
Just because it’s included in the operating system doesn’t stop it from being an app, all they did was add a new toggle in its settings.
Once again going back to my example, the ringtones are built into the operating system. They don’t need to be an optional download, that’s just stupid.
While you’re at it, make the flash in the camera app an optional Application as well, and make the voicemail tab in the phone app it’s own app as well since I never use it

There is a difference between being baked into the OS vs an installable app.
Not seeing what the point is trying to use ringtones as an equivalent example. Ringtones are more like stickers. It is not an embedded function.

That would be cool.
I personally would rather have a bare bones OS and you can install the features. But that isn't iOS.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
No, it’s nothing like that at all. Not even a little bit.

It means you have no idea what this tech is or how it works.

I think you have no idea what tech is or how it works because the car example the original poster provided is perfectly apt for describing how the Apple ecosystem works (and how many other technology ecosystems work alongside it, not just Apple's).

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I personally would rather have a bare bones OS and you can install the features. But that isn't iOS.
Yeah, you’re right. That isn’t iOS.
That’s not Apple.
One of their biggest selling points is that iOS and macOS comes with everything you need.
Applications, safety features, accessibility options, it’s got everything the second you open the box.
That’s not changing any Time soon

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
Please explain what you mean? The photo isn't analyzed until it's downloaded to your personal device. It's still E2EE.
It is essentially a way to analyse things which are being sent via E2E messaging services, today it will be nudity to "protect" children, tomorrow it will be terrorism, and the day after that it will be any "illegal" activity. Today it won't sent this to anyone, tomorrow it will notify someone, and the day after the police might be in front of your house after you hit send or receive a message.

Security and law enforcement are already fighting to weaken E2E (like they did in the 1990s), this will be their way in. And if everything goes really bad the Republicans will take the congress in 2022 and the white house in 2024 and after that, there won't be any check and balances left.

God, I'm pessimistic tonight but I still think I'm too optimistic about these developments. And Apple won't be able to fight back those demands, because they will be the law and if they do, they will suffer consequences which will hurt their business.

(edited for mistakes)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.