Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The third beta of iOS 16.1 that was released earlier this week expands the Adaptive Transparency feature introduced with the second-generation AirPods Pro to the original AirPods Pro.

adaptive-transparency-airpods-pro.jpg

As noted on Reddit, first-generation AirPods Pro owners who also have the AirPods beta software will now see an "Adaptive Transparency" toggle in the AirPods section of the Settings app. The 5A304A beta firmware is required to see the setting.

Apple debuted Adaptive Transparency with the AirPods Pro 2. It is designed to allow the AirPods to block out loud sounds, such as sirens, construction work, or loud speakers at a concert without blocking out all noise.

The AirPods Pro 2 have an upgraded H2 chip that allows for Adaptive Transparency to work, so it is not yet clear how Adaptive Transparency with the H1 chip in the original AirPods Pro works in comparison.

(Thanks, Aaron!)

Article Link: iOS 16.1 Beta Brings Adaptive Transparency to Original AirPods Pro

Last edited:

Morichan

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2019
Is anyone tried out this feature with AirPods Pro 1st gen? If so, how is the performance?

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
To be honest, these original C$300+ AirPod Pro better get some upgrades from software level, since this is not a hardware limitation.

Reactions: salutcemoi

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
I'm not sure what's up here, but my 1st Gen Air Pods Pro do not show this option. (And both were just replaced yesterday as part of the service program, so they're pretty new.)

EDIT: Oof, reading is hard. Missed the part about the beta firmware. Carry on.

Last edited:

LoveTo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2021
I should be happy with the news as I wasn’t planning to upgrade anyway but instead I feel weirded out to see Apple without the typical arrogance and stubbornness. I’m not quite sure if this is a good thing.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Wait I thought they were promoting this as a feature of the new model? Haha
The first gen already do a little bit of this already even without the toggle. For example the wind noise when I’m on a bike used to be very loud when I first got it but a while ago it became very subtle after an update. From the sound samples I’ve heard though the new ones definitely does it better.

Reactions: Skyuser

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
I'm not sure what's up here, but my 1st Gen Air Pods Pro do not show this option. (And both were just replaced yesterday as part of the service program, so they're pretty new.)

They would have old firmware. And they definitely wouldn't have beta firmware.

Reactions: TwistedGleam

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
So h2 isnt needed? Also I have the AirPods Pro 2 and it doesn’t work or do anything I was in london with Road works and didn’t cut any noise

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
So h2 isnt needed? Also I have the AirPods Pro 2 and it doesn’t work or do anything I was in london with Road works and didn’t cut any noise

It's not suppose to "cut noise" - you're supposed to hear the noise but at a more level volume instead of ear piecing louder than everything else which is what transparency mode was prone to previously.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
It's not suppose to "cut noise" - you're supposed to hear the noise but at a more level volume instead of ear piecing louder than everything else which is what transparency mode was prone to previously.
it was exactly the same and I tried turning the feature off and on to see and also removing AirPods and it didn't cut it at all and trust me it was loud drilling

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.