Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
Now if only Apple did this with the Photonic Engine and 4K Cinematic Mode on the 13 (Pros). Since, you know, the 14 with the same hardware makes use of it.
Probably as a late gift with iOS 16.2 or 16.3 after the iPhone 14 hype has settled and the 13 models aren’t widely available anymore. But I have little hope as improvements of the camera are the main selling point for smartphones these days.

HylianKnight

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2017
your not understanding a loud drilling and road works should cut the sound to normal level but its the same like wearing then and with them on with it on, it doesn't work
He’s trying to tell you that pass through previously caused an amplification effect on loud noises.

Reactions: dannys1

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It's the only feature on them I wasn't interested in, so I very much doubt it.
Interesting, it's the feature I was looking forward to most. There's lots of times I take walks outside and loud vehicles overpower the music I'm listening to. I can't do noise cancellation for obvious safety reasons, so adaptive transparency is the solution.

Reactions: xpxp2002

legomite

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2016
Now if only Apple did this with the Photonic Engine and 4K Cinematic Mode on the 13 (Pros). Since, you know, the 14 with the same hardware makes use of it.
I’m not thoroughly convinced, but I did see a theory that the 14 could handle the new stuff because of the new cooling system that would allow for sustained high-performance. Even with the cooling system, my 14 Pro gets extremely hot when recording and taking photos, even at night

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Not being sarcastic: I really like how well Apple supports their devices.

My 1st gen AirPod Pro have been wonderful and I am using them every day since they were launched. I have needed to replaced each earpiece twice - due to design issues for "crackling". Apple has made those replacements extremely easy for me. Instead of being frustrated about problems, I have been left delighted by their service exceeding my expectations.

Outcome is that I have a pair of practically new AirPod Pros (last replaced just a couple of months ago) and now Apple even adds new features to them.

I really cannot think another manufacturer who would have comparable support.

Last edited:

Krypton Deer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2019
It's the only feature on them I wasn't interested in, so I very much doubt it.
Same, I wear APP commuting daily. As long as they don’t nerf noise cancellation this time I’m good. I seldom use transparency mode tbh.

Love the APP2 so far.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
My business background brain is yelling at me that they're doing this so that users can compare how bad their original Airpod Pro is compared to Airpod Pro 2.

Apple is a for-profit company and a very efficient one. I hope they dont intentionally lower battery life or audio quality further through this for accelerated planned obscolences...

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
so it is not yet clear how Adaptive Transparency with the H1 chip in the original AirPods Pro works in comparison.
It works because all these “features” of the new hardware are artificially locked out.

There’s no reason more older iPads couldn’t have Stage Manager (Apple later backtracked), iPhone minis couldn’t have the battery percentage (Apple later backtracked too), and the first gen AirPods Pro couldn’t have better ANC (Apple artificially nuked it with the 2C54 firmware).

All of those capabilities were artificially held back to give Apple a reason to sell us new hardware, and now we’re discovering that the same is apparently true of Adaptive Transparency.

Reactions: MaaK and pinkkie

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
"When you want to be connected to the world around you there's Transparency Mode. With the power of H2 we're taking this experience to the next level with Adaptive Transparency." - Apple Event. 9/7/22

This was not a reason, or even consideration, for me to buy the new AirPod Pros. I needed new AirPods and this made the most sense. But if anyone did want this feature, Apple sure made it sound like it was unique to the H2. Should they feel duped?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It works because all these “features” of the new hardware are artificially locked out.

There’s no reason more older iPads couldn’t have Stage Manager (Apple later backtracked), iPhone minis couldn’t have the battery percentage (Apple later backtracked too), and the first gen AirPods Pro couldn’t have better ANC (Apple artificially nuked it with the 2C54 firmware).

All of those capabilities were artificially held back to give Apple a reason to sell us new hardware, and now we’re discovering that the same is apparently true of Adaptive Transparency.
Capabilities were withheld because they didn’t provide the experience apple wanted. Does stage manager on older iPad pros have exactly the same experience as newer iPads? Apple is a very secretive company they don’t always announce their plans. This obviously has been in the works for a while.

Reactions: gwhizkids

mxrider88

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2019
Sydney, AU
I’d just be happy if they connected automatically to my iPhone after having it connected to the Mac.
Why are they working on this BS instead of fixing the basics? It infuriates me

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
My AP1 (no beta firmware) do shift from transparency mode to noise cancelling for a short period when there's a high pitched sound like bells nearby, door alarms or when alarm goes off due to tags on clothes. (my work place is in a mall). Is it adaptive transparency?

Last edited:

ridgero

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2017
So h2 isnt needed? Also I have the AirPods Pro 2 and it doesn’t work or do anything I was in london with Road works and didn’t cut any noise

It's meant to bring the volume to an acceptable level.

MKBHD did a very good video about it.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Why not just let us control the amount of ambient sound that comes in?
Apple doesn’t like to let the user control things too much. Except when it‘s for Focus modes and Lock Screens. Then they go crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.