Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I miss the time when Apple competed on simplicity, not feature richness. Sadly, Apple has decided to sacrifice one for the other.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
looking forward to trying it. the photo shuffle without a doubt and iPhone % as a lock screen widget is what I will use for sure

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
is about time they bring guess user screen for those moment that someone asked you to use your phone to make a call and end it up checking your texts, guess user should be essential by now, that would better innovation that lock screen customization
While I think I know what you're hinting at, grammar and punctuation go a long way. FFS.

Reactions: srbNYC

theOmega

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2018
That was a great comprehensive article, haven‘t used it but as usual always impressive how Apple takes a feature from one device and takes it to another. Personally I find the wallpaper costumization way more interesting and definitely more polished than widgets.

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
Why’s everyone so upset about being able to customize the Lock Screen?
Easy. Because life isn't complete for many here without finding a way to criticize and denigrate everything. It's a way of life for some. I mean God forbid that they simply don't use a new feature if they don't want to. But no, they have to criticize anyone that doesn't agree with them. Very sad.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I miss the time when Apple competed on simplicity, not feature richness. Sadly, Apple has decided to sacrifice one for the other.
I don’t see how this changes that in any way.
iOS is still extremely simple and easy to use, and for those who want to customize it a bit they now have more flexibility.
Just like how you’ve been able to customize the finder on the Mac for decades, most people won’t but for those who do it’s a nice thing to have

bb9

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2017
Can I add control panel elements widgets to adjust brightness and volume levels, and a notification widget?

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Yeah, pathetic really.

But the my reality is I'm just over fiddling with interface customization any more.

I'm working hard to dump all this silliness and spend all my time in the real world. I'm not really on the net or devices or any other lipstick coated fake overpriced tech stupidness except a few minutes before bed... mostly to see if there's anything interesting happening in tech. There never is now, not for many years, just huge oligopolies sucking in ever larger amounts of cash from the stupid.
This right here!

It's all a distraction from how little we have advanced. IMHO, who gives a ****!?

Reactions: Aston441

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Now that Apple decided to introduce even more extensive customization possibilities (unseen before), people start complaining.

Like, really?
Never asked for it, never wanted it... wouldn't mind some bugs being fixed first. Same with iTunes, never wanted that to be split up. And now look what we've got. Change for change's sake isn't necessary and yet, most companies think it is. All in an attempt to try and keep the depleted attentions of a younger market.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Hello Apple? how about customization of the top LTE/time area?
I couldn’t care less about how many bars I have or if it’s 5G or LTE, Let me customize that area with more important things.
Interesting. It would have to be a fairly limited number of options, but I don't see why not. Or does the telco have control of that status bar?

Reactions: JosephAW

BlairMALL

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
Why’s everyone so upset about being able to customize the Lock Screen?
I don’t want to speak for every upset person, but I think it boils down to two reason:

1. Overly elaborate effort to move regular functionality of the phone to the Lock Screen. Sure, it saves a step, but it is really dressing up bloat as innovation. Note: Lock Screen isn’t bloat. Bloat in other areas is moved to the Lock Screen.

2. Wild Lock Screen functionality and customization seems more important in upgrade than long requested true functionality.

I don’t think the anger is directed at Lock Screen customization as much as the scope of it reveals Apple's emphasis on things other than better functionality.

Honestly, I thought why not just run ios4 on your lock screen. I might not bother unlocking my phone. FWIW, I know this is ludicrous, un-secure, etc., and I arbitrarily said ios4. It was a fleeting reactionary thought while scrolling down the very long article to get to the comment section.

Last edited:

Johnny London

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Do differents lock-screens that trigger different focus modes also result in different home screens? And if so, different sets of apps? For example: Study mode hides social media apps, whilst these apps would be highlighted in another mode.

snek

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2019
This is just ugly. The widgets are super limited. And the whole UI, feels not very Apple-like, or I guess with the UI/UX decisions the over the last years, very Apple-like. A welcome change nevertheless, I guess…

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Then don't use it.

Some people are unhappy about everything and don't want others to be happy either.
The reason people are unhappy is because this appears to add features for the sake of features. A differentiating factor of iOS (compared to Android) and macOS (compared to Windows) was that Apple - especially under Steve Jobs - was ruthless in requiring engineering / UI to present a use-case for each newly added feature.

Every additional feature adds bloat, test requirements (including interaction) and complexity.

For example the new "Focus" - which Apple annoyingly keeps asking me if I want to set up. - like %$"# clippy.
This highly customisable Home Screen is indicative of a direction that I don't think is beneficial for users in the long run (see the Windows UI/UX).

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
The reason people are unhappy is because this appears to add features for the sake of features. A differentiating factor of iOS (compared to Android) and macOS (compared to Windows) was that Apple - especially under Steve Jobs - was ruthless in requiring engineering / UI to present a use-case for each newly added feature.

Every additional feature adds bloat, test requirements (including interaction) and complexity.

For example the new "Focus" - which Apple annoyingly keeps asking me if I want to set up. - like %$"# clippy.
This highly customisable Home Screen is indicative of a direction that I don't think is beneficial for users in the long run (see the Windows UI/UX).
Who cares? Let people enjoy things. Many are excited about this. You also have the option of doing nothing with your Lock Screen except changing the wallpaper.

And please humor me in explaining how being able to more personalize your phone is not beneficial for people in the long run?

Reactions: fatTribble

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
If you're not cognizant of the historical significance, look it up.
Apparently the term is “bread and circuses”, a term I’ve never heard in my life because I’m not 90, and I don’t see the point of your comment in relation to this thread. Other than your initial failed response to sound condescending, you’re saying people shouldn’t enjoy things because the economy is not doing well? You think Home Screen customization is Apple pushing some deeply hidden political agenda to distract and placate the masses from the true atrocities of the new world order? You think people are just sitting fat and happy and distracted from the sky falling? Or could this just simply be Apple making new customization features and you have an alarmist tendency to make situations seem infinitely worse than they actually are?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.