Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I would like Apple Music to actually work, and playback the tracks I select. Not some other version of the same song.
Example? Apple Music always works for me...one of my favorite adds over the past few years (I was an old school music "buyer"). Has almost all of my existing music I uploaded and introduces me to new music I love nearly every day!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That doesn't already exist?
Physical and digital SIM, but same ringtones for both lines.

Doesn't bother me much, but I would also like more options for my phone as I specifically got it so I could have my personal and work numbers on the same phone.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I have to say...one thing that has always bothered me and never seems to be fast enough for my liking is the transition from wifi to cellular.

I typically start calls/meetings from my house and continue them on CarPlay as I have to leave to run errands and know that the 2 or so seconds I get to the corner on my street, I will lose the connection as I get far enough away from the wifi connection at my house (Teams calls), but waiting for the transition to cellular.

I also noticed this morning as I was coming home and driving past my local grocery store, my phone was close enough to the store wifi to connect overriding my cell connection, but not a strong enough connection to continue playing the next song on Apple Music. Went through the stop light and got far enough away to re-connect to cellular so the next song could play.

Is this something we just live with or am I missing out on some setting that will make this transition better? I'm not willing to wait until cellular speeds reach 1.4GB levels everywhere so I don't have to use wifi anymore... :p

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
Physical and digital SIM, but same ringtones for both lines.

Doesn't bother me much, but I would also like more options for my phone as I specifically got it so I could have my personal and work numbers on the same phone.
That seems like it should have been a day 1 consideration for dual sim. My wife has been looking into moving to dual sim to eliminate her work phone, but this sounds like it would be a deal breaker. Presumably you can fix this by setting most of your work contacts to the "work" ringtone, but thats not a complete solution.

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
Example? Apple Music always works for me...one of my favorite adds over the past few years (I was an old school music "buyer"). Has almost all of my existing music I uploaded and introduces me to new music I love nearly every day!
Just as I said. I try to play an album where many different versions of the same song by the same artist exist on Apple Music, and it plays one of them instead. I think this is partially caused by similar issues with iTunes Match/iCloud Music Library...but it does it even when playing "from" Apple Music. Apple Music should at least allow me to escape it.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I think at a certain point they'll be nearly forced to, as SMS has stopped evolving and the world wants something better over that protocol.

But I also think they're working on their own privacy-preserving angle, and would never buy-into using Google's Jibe Cloud RCS.

Although maybe they figure "you either use iMessage, or WhatsApp?, or Telegram?, so people have already found solutions to SMS being crap, and we don't have to do RCS"
They don‘t have to use Jibe, they just have to abide to the Universal Profile bare minimum and interconnect with Jibe and co.

I think they‘ll sooner or later introduce RCS, potentially as part of iMessage to ensure users don‘t just turn off iMessage and only use RCS (like having RCS activation tied to iMessage activation and then also tie it into iMessage presence detection, so Apple ecosystem stays iMessage and only offers RCS as a fallback if you text an Android user).

That way they can ensure the iMessage ecosystem stays healthy. I‘d wager they also only ever offer the bare minimum Universal Profile feature set to set iMessage apart from RCS.

But yes, I hope they finally introduce RCS with iOS 16. That‘s really all I care about nowadays, can‘t think of another feature I am desperate for… maybe multi-user-support on iPadOS… but that‘s about it.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Make notifications come in silently, or very quietly, when on a call.

I'm chatting away on FaceTime, a notification comes in, call audio volume drops, BINGGGGGG!!!! and I have to wait 2-3 seconds for the call volume to ramp back up.

Oh, and the GUI when a second call comes in with the options to hang up and answer, or answer and hang up, or hang up and hang up, or answer and hold, or hold and answer ... etc. You know the one - with all the red and green icons randomly dropped on the screen like confetti.

Apple fan from Korea

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2021
iOS 16 will probably be yet another useless update where they do something minor and make a big deal about it, a whole new is number, but these are the things I would like to see:

1. redesign the notification center. It's ridiculous. At the very least add "Clear All" button immediately, even if there's only one notification.

2. after Face-ID recognizes you, go directly into the phone home screen. You shouldn't have to swipe up after the phone recognizes you. Or at least make it possible to turn this off and on.

3. make it possible to dismiss Calendar and any notification banner from any app if you're in another app. You shouldn't have to go back to the lock screen or be forced to tap it to get into the app sending it in order to dismiss it.

4. when you're running a count down timer in the clock app you can see on the Locked screen how much time is left, by all means make it possible to go directly to the the timer when you tap the time left on the Locked screen.

5. give us an LED visual for notifications in addition to sound and vibration. Allow us to change the colors of the LED light based on what the notification app is.
The fine folks who like things the way they are can just leave things as is.

6. give us an always-on screen for the clock. On the always-on screen we should also be able to choose if we want to see if we have any notifications (the amount and the app) or if we to just want to see the clock.
Once again, the people who don't like it should be able to turn it off. No more Apple forcing us to do stuff.

7. add haptic feedback to the keyboard and make it possible to customize different intensities to your heart's content.
It's beyond crazy that you have no feedback whatsoever if you're typing and the phone is on mute. Those who are concerned with battery or simply don't like this should be able to turn it off.

8. make it possible to adjust volume for independent apps and settings and not this general thing they're doing. Separate volume control for keyboard volume, music volume, ring volume, system volume.
I, for example, would like the keyboard clicks to be much louder than they are but without it affecting the volume on the entire phone or the ring and notifications volume. It's silly of Apple to force it to be like this.

9. add suggestions from the address book as you start a phone number.
Common now Apple, this has been available for the last 15 years on Android.

10. make it possible to customize the texting app in every conceivable way. Font size, bubble size shape color etc.

11. make it possible to schedule a text message to be sent at a certain time/date. This is a basic feature. Compose your message now and schedule it to be sent when the time is right. I used to use this feature all the time when I had to text people who are in different time zones when they have to get the text at a certain time in their time zone but it's way too late for me to stay up to send the text.

12. use an OS-wide clipboard and make cut and/or copy not expire until you, the user, cleans it.
You should be able to copy text now and paste it tomorrow if you want to.
And 12b make it possible to copy multiple copy entries ready to paste any one of them by long pressing, at least the last 10 cut/copies should be possible.

13. in Mail give us the option to NOT go to the next email when you are deleting an email but to go back to the inbox. Those who want to keep things the way they are should be able to turn this feature off.

14. make it possible to move the icons on the desktop anywhere you want to.
For 3 you can swipe the notification away in the Notification Center, you don’t have to go to the app. For 5, I think the iPhone LED cannot produce multiple colors

Reactions: kevcube

lukematch

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
Lockscreen options to select different fast buttons.

Camera button is redundant when you can swipe.

Would love them to be Phone and Email.
Maybe add the option to remove them all together? Also make them available on home button phones

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Just as I said. I try to play an album where many different versions of the same song by the same artist exist on Apple Music, and it plays one of them instead. I think this is partially caused by similar issues with iTunes Match/iCloud Music Library...but it does it even when playing "from" Apple Music. Apple Music should at least allow me to escape it.
You can try and define it better by listing the album as well when you ask, but I'm not sure there is any logical way this can be done as Apple Music is just using some preset priority (most popular? Latest version?) when it has to choose between the same songs from the same artist.

lukematch

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2022
We desperately need new wallpapers. Especially dynamic ones on an iPhone.
Interesting… I’ve never liked the dynamic wallpapers. They suck battery and don’t look all that cool. Same thing with live wallpapers and perspective zoom. They feel gimmicky. Not trying to rain on your parade. It doesn’t affect me if there are more added. I’ll keep my wallpaper as my dog though.

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Maybe add the option to remove them all together? Also make them available on home button phones

Yeah could do. Still would like something fast to access though for me. So I don’t need the faff of unlocking and swiping up to then select the app… to many moves. A quick tap is lovely.

Saying that someone mentioned earlier the idea of unlocking the phone with Face ID to go straight into the Home Screen. Makes A LOT of sense.

Reactions: LFC2020

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
I have to say...one thing that has always bothered me and never seems to be fast enough for my liking is the transition from wifi to cellular.

I typically start calls/meetings from my house and continue them on CarPlay as I have to leave to run errands and know that the 2 or so seconds I get to the corner on my street, I will lose the connection as I get far enough away from the wifi connection at my house (Teams calls), but waiting for the transition to cellular.

I also noticed this morning as I was coming home and driving past my local grocery store, my phone was close enough to the store wifi to connect overriding my cell connection, but not a strong enough connection to continue playing the next song on Apple Music. Went through the stop light and got far enough away to re-connect to cellular so the next song could play.

Is this something we just live with or am I missing out on some setting that will make this transition better? I'm not willing to wait until cellular speeds reach 1.4GB levels everywhere so I don't have to use wifi anymore... :p

I say old boy, what if you turns this chap on… will this not make the transition smoother as you lose Wi-Fi, it will automatically switch to data? I think it means your phone will jump to cellular quicker than waiting for that one bar wifi and you get that 2 second period.

Attachments

• 3F32095C-AB48-4766-8BE6-7D490453886D.jpeg
    3F32095C-AB48-4766-8BE6-7D490453886D.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 87

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
5. Auto dark mode (going inside turns it on, going outside turns it off)
Great idea!

Now I’m thinking about it, it would be great if if it detects that it’s very overcast around you and/or in winter, so that the transition to dark mode happens way before sundown.

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Exciting to see so much activity here!

Count me in for live widgets (you know that has to be coming) and an always on screen (clock/temp/battery life).

I would very much like a general improvement in file management, esp for the iPad.

Finally, and probably most important to my day-to-day use of the phone: Please, please, please, Apple: FIX THE QUICKPATH SLIDING TYPING ALGORITHM. I am tired of having improper nouns replaced by people's names. If I am typing "tire", I don't want "Tyree". If I am typing "burn", I don't want "Bernard". I could go on and on.

The keyboard predictive algorithm has markedly deteriorated in recent years and I think its because they've gotten too cute trying to predict proper names. Note to Apple: I'd rather you got regular words correct and leave people's names to me. You're never going to guess who I am referring to, so stop trying.

Interesting… I’ve never liked the dynamic wallpapers. They suck battery and don’t look all that cool. Same thing with live wallpapers and perspective zoom. They feel gimmicky. Not trying to rain on your parade. It doesn’t affect me if there are more added. I’ll keep my wallpaper as my dog though.
That’s a valid point you are making. Maybe that’s why Apple decided to not offer the live/dynamic wallpaper for macOS? Because of the battery life?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/qcb2as

w4rm

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2014
Not allowing apps to grab the audio focus without my wish for it to. So irritating
Yeah, it needs better audio source management like Mac, something that allows multiple streams of audio too

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
It stands out like a pair of sore plums in the pic above this post. ☝️
lol, I forgot it was even a part of the phone. this whole time I thought you were talking about the doc on the home screen.

the home bar isn't going anywhere, it makes it way easier for me to tell my grandparents what to do on their phone/ipad

Reactions: LFC2020

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
Universal Sidecar - HiRes, Hi framerate, wireless video output between multiple apple device.
this one is mostly hardware limited instead of software.

a 4k display at a regular 60 frames per second takes 15gbps of bandwidth. there's no wireless protocols that can accommodate this. upcoming wifi 6E is only 3.6gbps.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I say old boy, what if you turns this chap on… will this not make the transition smoother as you lose Wi-Fi, it will automatically switch to data? I think it means your phone will jump to cellular quicker than waiting for that one bar wifi and you get that 2 second period.

It’s on…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.