Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I have not been able to send a text message or reply to a text message using Siri in Car Play since getting iPhone 15 pro with iOS 17.0.1. It was not fixed in 17.0.2 or 17.0.3 and now it is still not fixed in 17.1

I spoke to senior Apple tech support. They said it was a known issue but didn’t know it still isn’t working. Sent logs and screenshots etc.

Anyone else?

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Let me try this on my 14 pro max.

Worked fine. Sent to my friend via wireless CarPlay and she responded and Siri read it back. I’m on 17.1 with a Honda Accord.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Let me try this on my 14 pro max.

Worked fine. Sent to my friend via wireless CarPlay and she responded and Siri read it back. I’m on 17.1 with a Honda Accord.
I think this is an issue with iPhone 15 pro- that’s what Apple support said.

I will use a work around until they fix this.

JSBRGX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2023
I experienced for the first time yesterday that I could not connect to CarPlay (Wireless) I did a clean install when 17.1 came out, and therefore had to connect to my car's infortainment system again.

But no matter what I did, it wouldn't connect to CarPlay, just make a normal bluetooth connection (calls, contacts, audio) I tried restarting my iPhone. Switch the car on and off, remove the connection between phone and car, pair again. Nothing helped.

But in the end it worked out. What I did was - first delete the connection from Infortainment, and switch off the car. After that I removed the connection in the bluetooth menu on my iPhone. After that I did a Forced Restart (Volume Up, Down, Power Button) - after the restart I tried to connect again, and now the message popped up asking if I wanted to use CarPlay on my iPhone. Whether it was the many attempts, or Forced Restart that did the trick, I don't know.

You may have already tried it. But still wanted to give the advice.

Reactions: murdoc2k

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I experienced for the first time yesterday that I could not connect to CarPlay (Wireless) I did a clean install when 17.1 came out, and therefore had to connect to my car's infortainment system again.

But no matter what I did, it wouldn't connect to CarPlay, just make a normal bluetooth connection (calls, contacts, audio) I tried restarting my iPhone. Switch the car on and off, remove the connection between phone and car, pair again. Nothing helped.

But in the end it worked out. What I did was - first delete the connection from Infortainment, and switch off the car. After that I removed the connection in the bluetooth menu on my iPhone. After that I did a Forced Restart (Volume Up, Down, Power Button) - after the restart I tried to connect again, and now the message popped up asking if I wanted to use CarPlay on my iPhone. Whether it was the many attempts, or Forced Restart that did the trick, I don't know.

You may have already tried it. But still wanted to give the advice.
Thank you for sharing. Yes. I have tried all the steps above. I tried them all again today. I can connect to car play. It works well. Siri works for everything but messages. Siri can read me a message but I cannot get Siri to send a reply or send a new message. I think this is a bug and I hope Apple will fix it

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I've not had any troubles with my iPhone 15 Pro using CarPlay. I've replied to messages & sent new ones.

What exactly is happening when you try to send a message? Does it matter if it's SMS or iMessage?

debrfox

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2023
I have not been able to send a text message or reply to a text message using Siri in Car Play since getting iPhone 15 pro with iOS 17.0.1. It was not fixed in 17.0.2 or 17.0.3 and now it is still not fixed in 17.1

I spoke to senior Apple tech support. They said it was a known issue but didn’t know it still isn’t working. Sent logs and screenshots etc.

Anyone else?
I am having the same problem. My car dealer and I have spent hours on this and done everything they can and it still doesn't work. Been on hold with Apple for an hour and keep getting disconnected. Not happy.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I am having the same problem. My car dealer and I have spent hours on this and done everything they can and it still doesn't work. Been on hold with Apple for an hour and keep getting disconnected. Not happy.

This link shows a video of the issue I have with messages in car play and Siri not responding to send a reply or send a new message.

Is this the same as yours?

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I've not had any troubles with my iPhone 15 Pro using CarPlay. I've replied to messages & sent new ones.

What exactly is happening when you try to send a message? Does it matter if it's SMS or iMessage?

This link shows a video of the issue I have with messages in car play and Siri not responding to send a reply or send a new message

debrfox

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2023

This link shows a video of the issue I have with messages in car play and Siri not responding to send a reply or send a new message.

Is this the same as yours?
My problem is the same except my Siri says What do you want and that is the message it sends. It is mortifying because it seems quite rude.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Yes, but my Siri says "What do you want" and sends that out.
Mine did that too until I turned off automatically send messages. Go to general, Siri and search and then down at the bottom automatically send messages and toggle it off. That stopped Siri sending “what do you want”. Now she doesn’t send anything!

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Mine did that too until I turned off automatically send messages. Go to general, Siri and search and then down at the bottom automatically send messages and toggle it off. That stopped Siri sending “what do you want”. Now she doesn’t send anything!
Oops: go to settings, then down to Siri and search and then automatically send messages and toggle that off. If it’s not on, then toggle it on, power phone off and back on again and then go back and turn automatically send messages off. That should stop her sending “what do you want “

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.