Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iOS 17.2 beta that Apple seeded to developers today includes the first iteration of the Journal app that Apple announced way back in June when iOS 17 was initially previewed.

Journal-App-iOS-17.jpeg

Apple's Journal app will let iPhone and iPad users record their daily thoughts and activities. It incorporates data like photos, music listened to, workouts, and more, plus it suggests topics to write about.

Entries can have integrated photos, music, and audio recordings, and important moments can be highlighted.

The Journal app is passcode and Face ID protected for privacy purposes, and all of the suggestions are done on-device. Entries are end-to-end encrypted.

Article Link: iOS 17.2 Beta Introduces Journal App

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The big question I and probably most journalers have been wondering is does it offer a native import from DayOne since that's by far where most everyone would be coming from other than new users who don't currently journal. Can someone comment if the iOS version, or more likely the macOS version if it exists has this support?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
The big question I and probably most journalers have been wondering is does it offer a native import from DayOne since that's by far where most everyone would be coming from other than new users who don't currently journal. Can someone comment if the iOS version, or more likely the macOS version if it exists has this support?
Not gonna happen.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Not a big question at all: never going to happen. Integrating a paid third party app in iOS (basically putting them out of business) and then also adding import functions would be warfare. Apple has no benefit killing a third party market as they are already under enough scrutiny.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Honestly glad DayOne is going away. It became way too expensive to use and I was someone who used that app since its launch. Not every product idea needs to infinitely print money at the expense of the users.
One, who said its going away? Do you think the Day One developers sat around all summer and said "woe is us?" Secondly, what's wrong with charging for apps? Do you work for free? If an app is overpriced, people will simply not purchase it.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Can someone tell me if it's on macOS? I am only updating if the Journal app is on macOS.
I had assumed that it would be on the Mac, but there is no mention of it on Apple.com when it comes to the Mac.

So looks like no for now.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
This Journal app is intriguing, but I also ask, "Why"? Why is Apple making this app? What's their interest?

I'm a little wary of Apple going into apps like this for a number of reason. Many years ago (I think more than 15 years ago), the two major post-photo editing tools for Macs were either Adobe Lightroom or Apple Aperture. I spend several hundred dollars and went with Aperture because I thought having a tool that is well-integrated into Apple's ecosystem would be a plus. Well, it was a plus for a while until some years later Apple stopped developing Aperture then eventually gave it up. That was several hundred dollars down the drain, but worse is migrating things over to Apple iPhotos which then became Apple Photos.

After that experience, I didn't fully trust Apple to make apps in which usually you would think third-parties would be the one to do them instead.

So why is Apple venturing into journaling apps?

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
If you care about reading your journals far in the future, you’re going to have to buy a new iPhone every few years for the rest of your life.
Agreed. I don't understand why this app would be tied to iOS development in that way. Very odd. It's like tying Pages and Numbers to iOS development/revisions when at this point Pages and Numbers are separate apps with their own development timeline independent of iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.