Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 17.3, iPadOS 17.3, tvOS 17.3, and macOS Sonoma 14.3, and it's a good idea to update as soon as possible to the new operating systems because the software patches an actively exploited vulnerability.

iOS-17.3-Buggy-Feature.jpg

The updates fix a bug in WebKit that could allow maliciously crafted content to lead to arbitrary code execution. Apple says on its security support page that it is aware of a report that the issue may have been exploited.

Apple's software releases also address several other security vulnerabilities that were not known to have been used in the wild. iOS 17.3, for example, fixes bugs with the Neural Engine, kernel, Mail, Safari, Shortcuts, and more.

Details on all of the security fixes for each update can be found on Apple's security support site.

Article Link: iOS 17.3 and macOS Sonoma 14.3 Patch WebKit Vulnerability That May Have Been Exploited

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
Yet no rapid security patch was issued!
I am beyond frustrated with the software division at Apple.
So you know nothing about the issue, how complex or how deep into the system it is, or what is required to patch it, and yet you feel the need to crap on the developers. I'm gonna go ahead and bet there's a reason for doing it this way, I promise you they didn't just forget they had the capability you're talking about.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
And let me guess – in the 17.4 release there will be a patch that fixes a vulnerability that was discovered in 17.3. 😜

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
There is no such thing as a piece of software without bugs or attack surface, Apple's pretty good at this overall, but literally no one is perfect at it
And further, the complexity and sophistication of attacks are a game of cat and mouse. The same freedom and incredible power we all have in the OS comes at a price.. attack vectors. Looks at all the freedom of the Android and Windows systems and the plague of attacks possible. I am a long time developer, and it is constantly amazing at how many ways these actors can find to exploit a system using the same features meant to make our digital lives so enjoyable and better. Hate those hellbent on proving they can harm a system rather than the system desperately not to go in total lockdown to protect against. Personally I'm just happy Apple is doing their part to patch and secure the system where so many others take the "it's the user's problem" mindset.

Reactions: pstevem and seek3r

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
And if you were exploited - how do you know? Does an update fix your p0wned device?
You're not necessarily going to know. Some vulnerabilities can hand over complete control of the phone and leave it in an arbitrary state. One good thing about a complete OS update to fix problems like this, that may have been exploited, is that it should update any corrupted system files to a good state.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
The entire OS has to be replaced to fix a Webkit error. Who thought that was a smart idea.

If they unbundled the apps (MacOS has the same issue with bundled apps) they could then patch Safari/Webkit in previous releases too.
As far as I know, Apple never keeps updating several .x versions simultaneously. If the next regular update is around the corner they use that one to roll security patches into. Period. No need to keep 17.2 around. And I can’t blame them.

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
You're not necessarily going to know. Some vulnerabilities can hand over complete control of the phone and leave it in an arbitrary state. One good thing about a complete OS update to fix problems like this, that may have been exploited, is that it should update any corrupted system files to a good state.
I notice your use of the word should....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.