Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
And if you were exploited - how do you know? Does an update fix your p0wned device?
You don’t, and not necessarily. The answers to those questions depend on the exact exploit, not on the fixed vulnerability. If you fix your door lock, you still don’t know if someone didn’t enter or isn’t still hiding inside.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
What Apple actually says is “Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been exploited.” So it may or may not be actively exploited.
That probably means that it was widely exploited and they knew about it, but worked slowly, as usual.

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
You don’t, and not necessarily. The answers to those questions depend on the exact exploit, not on the fixed vulnerability. If you fix your door lock, you still don’t know if someone didn’t enter or isn’t still hiding inside.
Your analogy is not that good - in your house you are allowed to check your house for clues if anyone broke in. On an i-Device you have no such tools. Comparing to Windows or Linux, you have anti-virus and in many cases also instructions what to look for in Registry or file-system.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Your analogy is not that good - in your house you are allowed to check your house for clues if anyone broke in. On an i-Device you have no such tools. Comparing to Windows or Linux, you have anti-virus and in many cases also instructions what to look for in Registry or file-system.
That’s right. I was referring to what an automated update can do when only the vulnerability is known, and not concrete exploits.

It’s an interesting question if Apple has ever done some kind of malware removal under the hood.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Never thought this, just a random question--when you update is it quicker to update via the Mac, over air on the phone, or does it really matter and is it all pretty much the same times?

Account25476

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2021
They forgot they had a feature called "Rapid Security Responses".

They currently (officially) used that feature just twice till now.
iOS 16.5.1 (a) - 10 July 2023
iOS 16.5.1 (c) - 12 July 2023 (Two days later yeah, they managed to made a mess somehow).
After these, never again, even if apparently there was a known vulnerability...

What can I say... Not very nice.

matsan

macrumors regular
May 3, 2022
They forgot they had a feature called "Rapid Security Responses".

They currently (officially) used that feature just twice till now.
iOS 16.5.1 (a) - 10 July 2023
iOS 16.5.1 (c) - 12 July 2023 (Two days later yeah, they managed to made a mess somehow).
After these, never again, even if apparently there was a known vulnerability...

What can I say... Not very nice.
Perhaps Apple needed some time to implement another backdoor for law-enforcement after patching this one…. ;-)

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Why does apple think that releasing wallpaper should be part of a release? 1 more bullet to the deployment list? Come on!
Well, adding stuff like wallpapers and emoji might encourage users to update. And the wallpaper is timely for February’s Black History Month.

Reactions: seek3r

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Why isnt Apple ever using this security patch thingy to add those quickly over the air?
It is only applicable to narrow set of patches. Apparently, webkit is cannot be patched in this way. Unlike google and microsoft, apple doesn’t seem interested in separating components of ios into patchable components.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Yet no rapid security patch was issued!
I am beyond frustrated with the software division at Apple.
I don't think the Rapid Security Responses works this way. Today's security updates include a lot of items.

Rapid Security Responses are a new type of software release for iPhone, iPad, and Mac. They deliver important security improvements between software updates—for example, improvements to the Safari web browser, the WebKit framework stack, or other critical system libraries. They may also be used to mitigate some security issues more quickly, such as issues that might have been exploited or reported to exist "in the wild."

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
There is no such thing as a piece of software without bugs or attack surface, Apple's pretty good at this overall, but literally no one is perfect at it
That is probably true but i am convinced Apple could do better. I am just glad my Mac, iPhone, and iPad are not passenger airplanes …

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’m seriously beginning to wonder what “actively exploited” means - a single targeted website? Apple really pushing people to update. The Siri voice bug and battery drain better be patched this time.
Unlikely imo, unless that fix also happens to be included in this update.
And if you were exploited - how do you know? Does an update fix your p0wned device?
It depends on how the update is being implemented. Sometimes an exploited device will remain exploited unless the whole system is nuked and start from scratch, including all Firmwares.
I'm just happy Apple is doing their part to patch and secure the system where so many others take the "it's the user's problem" mindset.
Apple will surely blame users as much as possible, and they don’t do it any less than their competitors.
The weakest link in this security chain is ALWAYS USER themselves.
I notice your use of the word should....
If Apple pushes a 5GB update then maybe all files are updated, corrupted or not. Any less than that, some might not be. We users will never know.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Glad to hear that the vulnerability has been fixed now. Will be updating soon

Decatore

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Ventura and Safari got separate updates too. So Ventura is still a good option, benefitting from security updates while not suffering from Sonoma drawbacks.

Reactions: osplo

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Well what you going to do about it complaining won’t help.
Actually, not giving such feedback would potentially make Apple think everyone is happy with this process. Not like this forum is an Apple suggestion line, but it is definitely a place where most of us vent, and that comment was very reasonable and done quite politely.

Obsessive complaining is not good for anyone, but bottling your frustration with the way things work is also not good for you, so even if it doesn’t fix the problem, complaining can help: https://www.insidehook.com/advice/complaining-is-actually-good-for-you

Best line is the closer: “Sometimes things suck, and there’s nothing wrong with pointing it out. This year, point it out with purpose.”

• Disagree
Reactions: Biglethal69

Danilamak

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
Why isnt Apple ever using this security patch thingy to add those quickly over the air?
I guess RSU only for system architecture level vulnerabilities. But anyways, with news how thru Pegasus governments get remote full access to iOS users, webkit, mail and NPU vulnerabilities are pretty huge.

Danilamak

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2022
I don't think the Rapid Security Responses works this way. Today's security updates include a lot of items.
From other hand, maybe after releasing RSU marketing share they doubts how it's bad that everyone will know how many bugs there and stick it like before under carpet of ordinary update.

If it's true, someone in apple are sick.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
That is probably true but i am convinced Apple could do better.
Why? Just gut feeling?

As someone who works in software in the enterprise space I’m pretty happy with how well Apple handles known CVEs (though I do wish they’d have a better bug bounty program). We have to meet compliance standards for patching at work and if Apple had the same reqs they’d be doing just fine as far as I can tell 🤷‍♂️
I am just glad my Mac, iPhone, and iPad are not passenger airplanes …
At the moment I’d rather have Apple’s QA than Boeings :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.