Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
How is the EU’s fault Chromium took over the global internet.

Wait, what? Who said that?

But going forward, Chromium already dominates Android. EU is just forcing Apple to let Chromium dominate iOS too.

Why didn’t US government bodies step in?

Why should they? I'm advocating for less gov.

And… developers already have to deal with multiple browsers. Since the nineties. Welcome to the internet.

And Apple was trying to simplify single browser on a major platform. Welcome to the ****ing failure of the EU. Just like how the screwed everyone over with these annoying popups on every single website.

midkay

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2008
Are the podcast transcriptions auto-generated for any podcast you listen to, or is the transcription something each podcast has to manually provide and opt into?

ShawnyRHarvey

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2018
Hamilton, ON
Looks like they’ve added Dark Mode to NFC scan

IMG_7224.jpeg

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
How is the EU’s fault Chromium took over the global internet. Why didn’t US government bodies step in? Google, an American company, now controls almost all access to the internet.

And… developers already have to deal with multiple browsers. Since the nineties. Welcome to the internet.
And thanks to the EU, that “almost all access” will likely become “all access”. I’d say it’s the EU’s fault, because they seem to have this huge desire to rule over everything, but didn’t bother slowing Chromium down, and now…by forcing Apple to open up…they have pretty much guaranteed that Google gets whatever they haven’t already managed to. The EU supposedly hates monopolies yet basically paved the way for Google to have one.

Since the US didn’t do something to slow it down, why didn’t the power hungry politicians in EU step in instead? They clearly like to dictate things, so that would have been the perfect opportunity for them to dictate something that actually would’ve been positive for users. Oh that’s right, governments like to ruin things. Not fix them. That’s why.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
"get a pop up warning when an app from an alternative app store contains malware, and there are new screens" - this is all that is required. Apple should get their head out of the sand and break down their walled garden. If I want 3rd party apps on my phone, who is apple to stop me? Glad the EU if forcing their hand on apps, chargers, payments etc.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
Hopefully criminals in Europe, Russia and beyond won’t take advantage of that future, but they probably will. I can appreciate what the EU is trying to do, but I hope safety and security are not sacrificed for the sake of choice and saving a few Euros.
Maybe it is scarificed. For some time. Then new tools will come up. People will be in demand for those skills to close the loss of security...the cycle goes on

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Stolen Device Protection:
Settings > FaceID & Passcode > Enter Passcode > Stolen Device Protection = ON ( about half way down )

d4cloo

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
Los Angeles
You mean mandating non-webkit which means developers now have to deal with many browser engines for their website and users have to deal with many browsers as undoubtedly some websites will require Chrome instead of Safari?

yeah, I speak for the World: "that's stupid".
What makes you think developers aren’t already doing this?

I’m a professional web developer and NO ONE designs for just mobile Safari. What you are describing a ‘stupid’ is a standard practice. You target all major browsers and desktop/mobile users, including Android who are all on Chrome anyway.

And no, websites do not ‘require Chrome’ nowadays, because if they do so they are simply poorly designed and negatively impact their own business. It is very rare

If you don’t know what you’re talking about, don’t be so confident in your ignorance.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Apple: introducing a default browser option
World: that’s amazing

EU: mandating more choice
World: that’s stupid
Government interfering= that’s stupid.
a big update for everyone in the EU, people who don't like the changes live outside the EU and are jealous.
Who is jealous? I find this whole EU controlling how my phone being used and I’m American hilarious.
Without getting into politics I hope the UK force Apple to implement this too but I’m not holding my breath. All these changes should be made worldwide. More countries need to put pressure on Apple.
If you want these features to android. Stop trying to make iOS android.
"get a pop up warning when an app from an alternative app store contains malware, and there are new screens" - this is all that is required. Apple should get their head out of the sand and break down their walled garden. If I want 3rd party apps on my phone, who is apple to stop me? Glad the EU if forcing their hand on apps, chargers, payments etc.
Again if you want these abilities then go android. That’s literally what’s it for.

Why should I have to sacrifice how I and millions others prefer iOS because you want it to be like android lol.

That’s the real problem. Apple has always been a walled garden and it’s obvious android is inferior that is why you guys are trying so hard to make iOS into android instead of Simply buying an android.

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020

Who is jealous? I find this whole EU controlling how my phone being used and I’m American hilarious.

Again if you want these abilities then go android. That’s literally what’s it for.

Why should I have to sacrifice how I and millions others prefer iOS because you want it to be like android lol.

That’s the real problem. Apple has always been a walled garden and it’s obvious android is inferior that is why you guys are trying so hard to make iOS into android instead of Simply buying an android.
As you say “stop wanting it to be like Android” you could say “stop wanting it to be like macOS”, as it has the same freedom on installing apps

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India

You have to, because now Apple has allowed it. So there’s no use telling others to use android. I want to use the iPhone the way I want it

Last edited:

Bokka

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2018
After that changes I don't see a real difference anymore between iOS and Android for the things that matter (and yes, I live in EU).

• Disagree
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I'm more than a little curious to learn how the meddling EU megalomaniacs intend to handle a likely increasing number of users who don't update to iOS 17.4. Forced software updates for the greater good? Respondents to this post can scoff all they like but I'd opine in advance that such posters have probably been asleep at the wheel of life for a minimum of four years.

• Angry

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
Wait, what? Who said that?

But going forward, Chromium already dominates Android. EU is just forcing Apple to let Chromium dominate iOS too.

Why should they? I'm advocating for less gov.

And Apple was trying to simplify single browser on a major platform. Welcome to the ****ing failure of the EU. Just like how the screwed everyone over with these annoying popups on every single website.
EU is not targeting Apple or Safari. They are forcing big platforms to open up. Apple and Google need to play by the same rules now.

Advocating for less gov is the stupidest thing you can do, unless you’re a millionaire off course. It’s governments that need to make sure companies are not polluting the environment, exploiting employees or ripping of consumers. I have no idea why you would think less government is a good idea. you need strong legislation and controlling organisms.

It’s not the EU’s fault there are cookie warnings everywhere. The EU said to stop collecting private data. And companies found a loophole with these popups. Again proof that companies will do anything without legislation.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
You have to, because now Apple has allowed it. So there’s no use telling others to use android. I want to use the iPhone the way I want it
And again if you want the openness there has been an operating system that does that. Android.

That is like me buying chick fil a but being upset they don’t offer hamburger and then the government making them serve hamburger. I have a choice to go elsewhere.

• Angry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.