Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
This doesn't feel like side loading. There's no ability to directly install an app from a website. It's all through App Stores approved by Apple of apps approved by Apple (albeit to a slightly lesser extent). Apple still seems to be acting as a gatekeeper, just turning a blind eye to content it doesn't like.

Not getting into the rights and wrongs of that, but will the EU accept it?
Which is a decent compromise for a critical mobile device which connects to public networks. If you want to try out some app or write your own without having to pay developer fees for distribution here’s your chance.

It’s good in the sense if some fraudulent app does make it to that store, Apple has a way to nuke it.

Osxguy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Keizer Oregon
Automatically send with Siri with messages. I truly just want my green messages to just send. This battle of the green messages between Apple and Android just frustrates me. Instead of not delivered just put it in a drafts folder and send whenever you are good and ready. Instead of an ugly exclamation mark over messages. The worst is when I’ve sent the annoying android person in my life the same message three times because it said undelivered. Btw NO! I’m not going to use metas aka facebooks or any other third party app to send a text message. I need another app in my life like I need a hole in my head. #rantover I was saving this for a messages post but I think apples given up on messages for a bit with cute stickers to work on their headset vision.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Which is a decent compromise for a critical mobile device which connects to public networks. If you want to try out some app or write your own without having to pay developer fees for distribution here’s your chance.

It’s good in the sense if some fraudulent app does make it to that store, Apple has a way to nuke it.
My question is not whether it should be done, but whether the EU will regard what has been done as sufficient.

TruthWatcher412

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Did swiping left on a call in the phone app always give you the option to report and block? I thought on 17 when it first appeared you could just report calls. I see the option to report & block numbers now in addition to just reporting.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
The phoenix looks better than the chicken with hot sauce splattered on in previous preview versions. 😂
Still not what I pictured a phoenix would look like though.

scorpio vega

Suspended
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
What’s a chick fil?
You taught me something new lol. It’s apparently a US only chicken chain restaurant. Idk why I thought it was also in other countries too since it is so popular but I learned something new.

It’s owned by ultra conservative individuals (to the point they are not open on Sundays) and only sells chicken products and Americans go crazy over it.

Now I’m curious. Are Popeyes and churchs chicken in other countries lmao

• Angry

srbNYC

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2020
New York, NY
I refuse to use usb c because I was fine with lighting
Not sure I get your logic. And while I appreciate the security of some Apple sandboxing, having to have a different cable to some Apple devices than for others and for non-Apple products was an awesome nuisance. Love having/packing one cord that I can use with most everything.

• Haha
Reactions: iOS Geek

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
You taught me something new lol. It’s apparently a US only chicken chain restaurant. Idk why I thought it was also in other countries too since it is so popular but I learned something new.

It’s owned by ultra conservative individuals (to the point they are not open on Sundays) and only sells chicken products and Americans go crazy over it.

Now I’m curious. Are Popeyes and churchs chicken in other countries lmao
Not in Ireland anyway, and I've never seen them in my travels in Europe.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I believe this is new

IMG_0529.jpeg

Vasilisxd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2018
Finally ! iTransmission and a proper version of VLC app in iOS !!!

Also a Dialer app with strong history, T9 and choice of line when making every call.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
Not jealous in the slightest. Glad I’m not being forced into this fragmented bug fest! I left Android to get away from that mess!
What are EU citizens exactly forced into? A third party market place is just another app they can or can’t download from the regular App Store. Did you bother to read the article?

TruthAboveAllElse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2023
What are EU citizens exactly forced into? A third party market place is just another app they can or can’t download from the regular App Store. Did you bother to read the article?
They were not talking about being forced into a different browser or App Store directly; the fragmentation of the marketplace they think will result from this would indeed be forced on them. (If it were to occur at all.)

Victor Mortimer

Suspended
Apr 17, 2016
My question is not whether it should be done, but whether the EU will regard what has been done as sufficient.

I'm really hoping they realize that it's a sham.

I should be able to load whatever app on MY iPhone I want. I'll get a EU Apple ID if I have to, but Apple is trying to scam the EU, and I hope they come down HARD on Apple for not fully opening up like they should have, because this is NOT even remotely sufficient.

Or maybe once the EU smacks Apple I'll talk to one of my lawyers about how much fun they can have with a class action lawsuit for not letting us have open iPhones here in the US.

• Haha

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Well Apple has worked out a solution for that. They explained it quite well. The Security will be same as an app downloaded from the App Store, it just won’t be listed on the app store.
Well, if that’s the case, then everything should be fine. I just speak as someone who has spent the past 25 years using the wonderful world of Windows. It’s a lot better now with Windows (to say the least), but I had a good amount of headaches over the years dealing with malware even with many of the precautions I learned to use. I kind of enjoy the consistency I currently get when it comes to security with Apple’s walled garden relatively speaking. I know no system is foolproof.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
a big update for everyone in the EU, people who don't like the changes live outside the EU and are jealous.
Jealous to a point. This is more of a wait and see situation with us in North America and elsewhere. We’re hoping Apple was just trying to protect their profits when they used the prospect of security being degraded if third-party app stores were allowed. In other words, we’re hoping Apple was just using scare tactics and not foreshadowing a less appealing scenario. Because if everything works out well in the EU, Apple will begin to feel pressure here in the US to do the same.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Well, if that’s the case, then everything should be fine. I just speak as someone who has spent the past 25 years using the wonderful world of Windows. It’s a lot better now with Windows (to say the least), but I had a good amount of headaches over the years dealing with malware even with many of the precautions I learned to use. I kind of enjoy the consistency I currently get when it comes to security with Apple’s walled garden relatively speaking. I know no system is foolproof.

I use both Mac OS & Windows 11 on a regular basis.

IMHO no one should use Windows unless forced to do so. Maybe if you are a Gamer but there is no other reason.
It has very poor support unless you have some one else maintain it for you it just isn’t worth it.

But yeah Windows 11 is far more polished and coherent unlike 8 and 10. It’s easy on the eyes too. But Mac still just works.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
shaking head vertically (as in a "yes" nod), and shaking head horizontally (a "no" head shake).
Interesting factoid: In India, much to my confusion when I first encountered it as a young backpacker traveling overland to- and from the subcontinent from the UK in the early Seventies, a shaking of the head horizontally actually means "yes", or close to it; in other words it's affirmative, not "no".

At worst, when coupled with a shrug and/or other body language, it could mean "well maybe, keep talking, I'm open to being convinced" :)

2D emojiis have a long way to go before they can capture 3D cultural nuances developed over millennia.

Perhaps some of our Indian members would care to comment.

Last edited:

yaskael

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2021
Safari was updated with wider webm support. Webm video embeds now play automatically on more pages.

SeaDaddytheRed

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
I have a MBA. I don't use Chrome. I don't use Safari. I use Firefox. In fact, I use FF on all my devices except my iphone and ipad. It is shamefully obvious how desperate Apple is to keep Safari superior on their i-devices by heavily restricting any competition. While I don't like Google, and I don't use Chrome, I hope Google forces Apple to allow non-webkit browser engines on their mobile devices all over the world and not just in the EU at some point.

• Angry

ianeiloart

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2003
I think for now it basically means you can play Fortnite again on your iOS Devices.
Not in the UK, though. Because Brexit means that we in the UK don’t get the additional *options* that the EU has mandated.

Flub136

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2024
How about Apple finally allow selecting a contact from the keypad using A-Z on the number keys like Android have done for years and years. One continued annoyance I find having transferred from android to apple.

Reactions: Samplasion
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.