Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DasKraut

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know if in 17.5 they've fixed the problem where bookmarks saved to the home screen no longer open in full screen? The only way it works for me is that I upgraded to a 15PM from an 11PM that was running iOS 16, and somehow it carried over existing ones when I transferred. But any new bookmarks I make, it just launches as a tab in Safari which is not how it's supposed to work. iOS 17 in general has been a huge bummer for me, and this is one reason (HomeKit not working well, or having no real improvements is the other)

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I don't know if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong, but recently in the mail app, when I press the "reply" button on the bottom menu bar in an email, it puts my own email address in the "to" field. This especially happens in email threads with multiple messages back and forth.

This one is right up there as one of my biggest gripes with iOS. The Mail apps threading feature is really really poor (though I’m not sure anyone has really solved this satisfactorily).

Reactions: dannyyankou

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Biggest change and improvement: we now know nothing is ever deleted, even if it was never uploaded anywhere.

Makes sense why I could have easily lived with 16 and 64gb iPhones back in the days and now my photos app takes 60 gb (same 12 mp, same 1080p rec quality)

This is a very big problem for Apple if this is true. One can only imagine the lawsuits if, say, compromising photos suddenly reappear on a photo timeline where the user thought they were gone. “Hey fiancée, check out my photos! Oops!….”

If something is going to force a quick 17.5.1, this one is it. I’m sure Apple’s lawyers are not happy.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
This one is right up there as one of my biggest gripes with iOS. The Mail apps threading feature is really really poor (though I’m not sure anyone has really solved this satisfactorily).
I've accidentally sent lots of messages to myself that I intended to send to other people, and it all started with hitting the reply button. You'd think the reply button would send it to the last person who sent a message, but nope.

Reactions: gwhizkids

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
What troubleshooting have you done?
I dunno… aside from restarting my phone (both “soft” and “hard” restarts), what else can I do?

It obviously isn’t an issue on my end, since it affects everyone who has updated to 17.5 and affects nobody who hasn’t…

Spline

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
This is a very big problem for Apple if this is true. One can only imagine the lawsuits if, say, compromising photos suddenly reappear on a photo timeline where the user thought they were gone. “Hey fiancée, check out my photos! Oops!….”

If something is going to force a quick 17.5.1, this one is it. I’m sure Apple’s lawyers are not happy.
...says everyone who clicked on the mandatory "Accept" for the iOS Software Licence Agreement without reading all 585 pages (literally). Especially the Limitation of Liability. Basically you can't do squat when stuff like this happens. The only damage will be reputational, which is not nothing.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
With the update, I like that my 15 Pro does not cook (and shutdown) when on a Zoom while the phone is charging either via a cord or magnetically.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Before iOS 17.5, when watching YouTube or YouTube TV on my Apple TV + HomePod mini stereo speakers, the Dynamic Island would look like this:

1715837741207.jpeg

…but now, on iOS 17.5, the icon is broken:

1715839088322.png

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Here is one I have not seen before. I received an update on a delivery (UPS) in Messages. When I opened Messages, this pop up showed:

I have a UPS and FedEX account and am used to getting text alerts from them.
I got that also. I believe it’s part of some new feature. I also get UPS and FedEx notifications, both push and text.

Reactions: dk001

airtonvfilho

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2020
I installed iOS 17.5 two days ago via recovery mode

and today, suddenly, the "personalized ads" and "allow tracking" options are greyed out, anyone having this problem?

there’s no restrictions in screen time or any profile in my iPhone, also i’m 27 years old and I have this apple ID for like 8 years ago

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
This is an odd one. 15PM connected to AW, the watch vibrates when I get a text when my phone is locked. When my phone is unlocked, I get the notification with the sound on my phone as per usual. Now my phone is connected to CarPlay and my Apple Watch and is locked. I get no notifications no sound through CarPlay no watch vibration, however a bubble as a text notification on CarPlay. When my phone is connected to CarPlay and my Apple Watch, then I will get a sound notification and the pop-up banner on CarPlay that I have a text. Anyone else have something like this?

It started on the last beta.

BLtheP

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
Texas
For several iOS 17 point releases now, my mail app freezes when opening a new email. Very annoying. I think it started in 17.2. I don’t know how Apple uses their own software and doesn’t fix some of the most obvious bugs.

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
(...)
and today, suddenly, the "personalized ads" and "allow tracking" options are greyed out, anyone having this problem?
(...)
Nice find, same here!
...but i'm not complaining, they are both switched off and now greyed out, so can't be activated! 👍

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I don't know if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong, but recently in the mail app, when I press the "reply" button on the bottom menu bar in an email, it puts my own email address in the "to" field. This especially happens in email threads with multiple messages back and forth.

It's a problem with threading. If you reply while actually reading an email that you sent, the reply will go to you, because you are the sender. Could it be that?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
It's a problem with threading. If you reply while actually reading an email that you sent, the reply will go to you, because you are the sender. Could it be that?

I’m sure that’s what it is. But someone needs to figure out a way, perhaps with visual cues, to show you that the mail in you are reading is embedded in a response. Maybe shade the embedded emails in light blue or something.

Reactions: dk001 and ManuCH

Robmcsp

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2021
Spain
I found attention awareness feature is not working for me. It keeps the same volume alert even if I'm staring at the screen and Face ID recognizes my face. Same with alarms etc, it's quite annoying. iPhone 14 pro user.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I found attention awareness feature is not working for me. It keeps the same volume alert even if I'm staring at the screen and Face ID recognizes my face. Same with alarms etc, it's quite annoying. iPhone 14 pro user.

Working fine for me (different phone model) and not heard anyone else have this issue. So you could try my usual IT fix for this type of thing ... turn attention awareness off, reboot, turn it back on, reboot, hope for the best.

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
I still have the Apple Music bug where it hangs for upwards of 30 seconds upon booting it after a set period of time. It becomes totally unresponsive.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I dunno… aside from restarting my phone (both “soft” and “hard” restarts), what else can I do?

It obviously isn’t an issue on my end, since it affects everyone who has updated to 17.5 and affects nobody who hasn’t…

Try Reset All Settings. That fixes a lot of issues. But if many others have that, then Apple will likely fix it. Be sure and report it.

Reactions: Brachaci and s2mike

Robmcsp

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2021
Spain
Working fine for me (different phone model) and not heard anyone else have this issue. So you could try my usual IT fix for this type of thing ... turn attention awareness off, reboot, turn it back on, reboot, hope for the best.
Thanks for your reply and advise. I tried so and it did not fix it. Also, I have a friend with an iPhone 12 who has the same issue.

Reactions: adrianlondon

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
iPhone 13 very smooth with this update. However battery is not holding up like it used to. As always for me, moderate usage and by bedtime I'm down to 10%. For a moderate user I shouldn't need to charge during the day. Never have before.

• Sad
Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.