Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iakmnk

Cancelled
May 12, 2024
Would it be worth deleting other “maps” programs or updating them to see if the problem is resolved? Does the same thing happen with Google maps?
I tried to delete applications, it does not help, the bug manifests itself, including in Google Maps. Before that, I talked to a person on another forum, he has the same problem with geolocation on 17.5, so there is a suspicion that this is some kind of bug.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Hello everyone, 17.5 looks pretty stable, but since yesterday I started to observe strange geolocation behavior: when opening the maps application, the phone simply cannot find my location.

It's the same with Find My, it just can't display my phone on the map. I checked the settings, geolocation is enabled, Find My is too, but the arrow is gray, not purple, as it should be. A hard reboot doesn't help. After talking on local forums, a person with the same problem on 17.5 RC turned up, maybe someone here also has such a problem? Sometimes geolocation starts working after a while, but not for long.

By the way: the RC was updated from 17.5 beta 4 via OTA and after that installed IPSW.
Might be worth going through these steps, especially the one where you check the date/time/timezone is correct.

iakmnk

Cancelled
May 12, 2024
Might be worth going through these steps, especially the one where you check the date/time/timezone is correct.
The first thing I did was try all these methods, it didn't help. I'll try to install IPSW again today, maybe the problem will be solved. But I already know at least a few people with this problem, it doesn't look like it was a problem with my device. Feedback has been sent to Apple, I will keep up to date with the news.

Reactions: adrianlondon

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Wish I could say the same.
Left the 15PM asleep for 10 hours and for 6 of the 10, FindMy shows as a battery consumer with a % but no minutes.
Crazy as I have FM turned off. This has been an issue for a few betas now.

Overall in standby it dropped 8% in battery last night.
That makes no sense at all. So you have Find My iPhone AND Find My Network both disabled yet you still see Find my as using up battery in battery statistics?

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
That makes no sense at all. So you have Find My iPhone AND Find My Network both disabled yet you still see Find my as using up battery in battery statistics?

No idea.
I did an ipsw reload on my iPad Pro, verified all the Find My was off, and did a hard reboot. It appears to have fixed this on the iPad.
On the 15 ProMax, no joy. Did the same and it still shows up.

I am going through and unpairing everything with the 15PM followed by a hard reboot and see if that has any affect.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hello everyone, 17.5 looks pretty stable, but since yesterday I started to observe strange geolocation behavior: when opening the maps application, the phone simply cannot find my location.

It's the same with Find My, it just can't display my phone on the map. I checked the settings, geolocation is enabled, Find My is too, but the arrow is gray, not purple, as it should be. A hard reboot doesn't help. After talking on local forums, a person with the same problem on 17.5 RC turned up, maybe someone here also has such a problem? Sometimes geolocation starts working after a while, but not for long.

By the way: the RC was updated from 17.5 beta 4 via OTA and after that installed IPSW.

Your issues with geolocation may be due to the current solar storm.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
You know, somehow I didn't even think about it. Considering that everything started working yesterday evening, apparently this is the case.
Depending on your location it was up to a G5 extreme on Friday/Saturday as the charts show, Sunday was a lot better.
What a G5 means:
Power systems: Widespread voltage control problems and protective system problems can occur, some grid systems may experience complete collapse or blackouts. Transformers may experience damage.
Spacecraft operations: May experience extensive surface charging, problems with orientation, uplink/downlink and tracking satellites.
Other systems: Pipeline currents can reach hundreds of amps, HF (high frequency) radio propagation may be impossible in many areas for one to two days, satellite navigation may be degraded for days, low-frequency radio navigation can be out for hours, and aurora has been seen as low as Florida and southern Texas

Reactions: gank41

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Yes, they talked about the G5 Extreme in the news, but at the same time they said that there were no failures in the operation of any systems. Deceived 🥱

In any case, it's very nice when problems disappear by themselves. 🙂

That is always the issue with the news - you get part of the facts.
There may have been no failures (whatever their definition of that is) but that doesn’t say there wasn’t any interference.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
No idea.
I did an ipsw reload on my iPad Pro, verified all the Find My was off, and did a hard reboot. It appears to have fixed this on the iPad.
On the 15 ProMax, no joy. Did the same and it still shows up.

I am going through and unpairing everything with the 15PM followed by a hard reboot and see if that has any affect.
@Benz63amg

I went ahead and unpaired across the board on the 15PM.
Let it sit overnight. Still there.

At this stage if 17.5 doesn't fix this issue I plan on doing a complete reset. :(

This is nuts.
Pairing my AWU back to the 15PM this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_5747.jpeg
    IMG_5747.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 59

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
Funny bug I just noticed yesterday in which Dynamic Island and Control Center platter timer previews aren’t properly synced up

Attachments

• IMG_0846.png
    IMG_0846.png
    51 KB · Views: 49

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
public release of iOS 17.5 just dropped. Can someone please confirm build number to see if it’s the same as the RC

Reactions: Hans300

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Maybe someone can answer this; is Shazam tied into Siri in any fashion?

With 17.5RC (I didn’t try this on b3 or b4), Shazam is having issues identifying lesser known songs. I am not having this issue with Google Assistant on Android.

Was playing On The Way by Jonezen and Shazam could not identify the song. Had no issue with Baby One More Time from Tenacious D but borked with Numb by Alan Walker and Friendships by Pascal Letoublon. Got Houdini by Dua Lipa.

Don’t Shazam that often but usually don’t have that big of an issue with it identifying tunes. Tried this morning using it to identify some background tunes on YouTube - pretty much useless.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Maybe someone can answer this; is Shazam tied into Siri in any fashion?

With 17.5RC (I didn’t try this on b3 or b4), Shazam is having issues identifying lesser known songs. I am not having this issue with Google Assistant on Android.

Was playing On The Way by Jonezen and Shazam could not identify the song. Had no issue with Baby One More Time from Tenacious D but borked with Numb by Alan Walker and Friendships by Pascal Letoublon. Got Houdini by Dua Lipa.

Don’t Shazam that often but usually don’t have that big of an issue with it identifying tunes. Tried this morning using it to identify some background tunes on YouTube - pretty much useless.
A lot of the stuff you hear on YouTube is copyright free stuff that is only on YouTube. I have the same issue with Shazam but it is not entirely its fault.

Reactions: dk001

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
Wish I could say the same.
Left the 15PM asleep for 10 hours and for 6 of the 10, FindMy shows as a battery consumer with a % but no minutes.
Crazy as I have FM turned off. This has been an issue for a few betas now.

Overall in standby it dropped 8% in battery last night.

Did you turn FM off in Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services > System Services > Toggle FM off.

Reactions: dk001

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Ugh… went from 17.4.1 to 17.5 RC and now iMessage audio recordings sent from me sound terrible: very low quality and scratchy and echoey. Really bad.

The person I’m sending audio messages back and forth with is still on 17.4.1 and his messages sound crisp and clear and sharp, but mine suddenly sound terrible. It’s definitely a 17.5 thing.

Very, very disappointing.
Well, I can definitely confirm that this is an iOS 17.5 issue… all of my friends who updated their phones today suddenly have horrible-sounding audio messages. The people who didn’t update still have perfectly crisp and clear audio messages.

Really, really hope Apple gets this fixed in iOS 17.5.1…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.