Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of the first iOS 17 beta in the hands of developers, early adopters continue to discover smaller changes in the new version of Apple's mobile operating system. Below are some of the more notable differences that have come to light since Monday's WWDC keynote.

General-iOS-17-Feature-Orange-Purple.jpg

Ping Apple Watch

If you have an Apple Watch paired to your iPhone, Apple has added an optional button in Control Center that enables you to ping your watch if you have misplaced it. (H/T Aaron.)

Improved Spotlight Siri Suggestions

When pulling down on the Home Screen to access search, you'll see some neat new contextual tricks have been added to Siri Suggestions, like the suggestion to create a timer or a new note if you've used those apps recently. When you search for a specific app like Photos, you'll also get app shortcuts to your next action, allowing you to jump right into your Favorites album, for example.

siri-suggestions-ios-17.jpg

You can now also toggle certain system settings directly from within Siri Suggestions results. You can, for example, enable a Focus, turn on Airplane Mode, or disable your iPhone 14 Pro's Always On Display.

Multiple Timers

It's taken this long, but iOS finally supports multiple timers.

multiple-timers.jpg

Each timer you set can be given a label, which helps you identify it in a list. For added convenience, the list will also include any recent completed timers that you used. When several timers are running simultaneously, all of them will be listed on the Lock Screen, and the last one you set will appear in the Dynamic Island.

Safari "Listen to Page" Feature

In Safari, Apple has added a new "Listen to Page" option to the aA menu in the address bar. Tap it, and Siri will read the contents of the currently loaded webpage out loud.

safari-listen-to-page.jpg

When Siri is reading it to you, the same option changes to "Pause Listening," and if you choose to pause, it switches to "Resume Listening" so you can pick up where you left off.

Visual Look Up for Meals

When viewing photos, Apple has enhanced Visual Look Up in a few ways, the most notable being the ability to find recipes for similar dishes when meals are recognized in the picture.

visual-lookup-recipes.jpg

In addition, you can now look up information from a subject you just lifted from a photo, and you can also pause video on any frame to look up info on a subject.

Fitness+ Custom Plans

Fitness+ includes a new feature called Custom Plans, where you can create your own weekly workout and meditation schedule to enhance your motivation.

fitness-plus-custom-plans.jpg

Plan options include the ability to set a total workout/meditation time per day, set a plan length, and choose your activity types. You can also select preferred Fitness+ trainers and the type of music that you want in your plan.

Other Features and Tidbits

• Apple News+ crossword puzzles
  • New Control Center slider animations
  • Interrupt Siri and make back-to-back requests without reactivation
  • Enhanced spam call filtering
  • Dark Mode version of AirPods popup card
Developers are still discovering what's changed in iOS 17, so be sure to check back with more coverage here on MacRumors.

Article Link: iOS 17 Tidbits: Enhanced Siri Suggestions, Multiple Timers, Recipe Visual Look Up, and More

Last edited:

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
man there's a lot of great little stuff hidden in this update. still wishing eternally for that Snow Leopard year in terms of stability, but it feels like a Snow Leopard year in terms of small improvements that have a big impact on UX. cannot believe it took this long to support multiple timers and search filters in iMessage, lmao—same with customizing the Home Screen on the iPad (as much of a cosmetic feature as that is, it's nice to have parity between my iPad and my iPhone).

on that note, there are some things in iPadOS 17 that are actually making me wanna pull that thing out again…! didn't think that'd ever happen. 😂 A10X still going strong, thank god

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
So far my favorite feature which made using beta software worth it:

AirPod Pro transfer between my devices (Macbook Pro and iPhone and iPad) has been MASSIVELY improved. Like night and day compared to what it was before. (I'm using first gen AirPod Pros if that makes a difference)

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
man spotlight really is godlike

Now that apple's patent has expired (since 2021) , I sure hope google will bring it back to android (since they were forced to remove it after being sued by apple )

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
When viewing photos, Apple has enhanced Visual Look Up in a few ways, the most notable being the ability to find recipes for similar dishes when meals are recognized in the picture.

This is so interesting and seems to me like it could be the start of something much bigger...

One major thing that I’ve been wanting to see is the addition of native food/calorie tracking in Health. What if they’re currently working on a way to snap a picture of what you’re eating, and Health figures out what it is and estimates what the nutritional value would be? This seems like it could be a small first step toward something like that.…

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021

AirPod Pro transfer between my devices (Macbook Pro and iPhone and iPad) has been MASSIVELY improved. Like night and day compared to what it was before. (I'm using first gen AirPod Pros if that makes a difference)
Thank god! I use my AirPods daily and it works great most of the time but sometimes the transfer can get wonky

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015

That's great to hear!!

yustas

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
What about launching apps from the Lock Screen or adding shortcuts to the Lock Screen? Is it the same as on the current version of the iOS?

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
really? people misplace their watch? I have 2 ATVs and can't remember ever misplacing the remote but I think that is helpful, but the AW???

I lose mine all the time lol when I get home from work I take it off and chuck it a different place each time and then have joy of hunting for it lol

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
App Store has plenty.

Apple has made a fully capable calculator app on pretty much every device they’ve ever made other than the iPad for decades now. Why on earth should iPad users have to get one from the App Store, which is either paid or full of ads and/or bugs, when they could just so easily port over the perfectly functional calculator that they already make? Plus, App Store apps don’t give us the benefit of having the app in the control center. It’s just such a stupid and nonsensical omission.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I’m sorry… What?

I can’t do multiple timers right now?? 😳

But… pinging Apple Watch. Yes!! That’s great. I use ping iPhone all the time with watch.

munpip214

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I don’t know why apple thinks moving messages apps to the side is better. I already have quick access to them now.

Attachments

• IMG_7599.jpeg
    IMG_7599.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 78

pianophile

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2002
Midwest
One major thing that I’ve been wanting to see is the addition of native food/calorie tracking in Health. What if they’re currently working on a way to snap a picture of what you’re eating, and Health figures out what it is and estimates what the nutritional value would be? This seems like it could be a small first step toward something like that.…
I'd love to see Apple create a food/nutrition/calorie tracker app, perhaps within Health. The popular ones all suck, and Apple could do a much better one, if they become so inclined.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.