Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 18 will likely include some design changes, but a macOS revamp might be a year or two away, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iOS-18-Mock-Feature-Baubles.jpg

In his Power On newsletter today, Gurman said Apple is working to update the design of iOS as "early as this year." A sketchy rumor claimed that iOS 18 would feature some visionOS-inspired design elements, and while Gurman agreed that iOS could take some design cues from visionOS, he does not expect a "total overhaul that mirrors visionOS."

While he hedged with "as early as this year" wording today in regards to iOS design changes, Gurman was more firm about iOS 18 being redesigned in a November edition of his newsletter, when he said Apple's senior management had described iOS 18 as "ambitious and compelling," with "major new features and designs."

As for macOS, Gurman said Apple has started early work on design changes for that operating system that could debut in 2025 or 2026. The platform last received a major redesign with macOS Big Sur in 2020.

Apple is expected to announce iOS 18 at its annual developers conference WWDC in June.

Article Link: iOS 18 Rumored to Have Design Changes, macOS Revamp Coming Later

• Haha
Reactions: japanime

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
So we are not getting a major update with new design like iOS 7 got and it won’t be the biggest update since the first iOS version, will be another small update with yes new Siri and rcs and a few ui design tweaks, I was hoping for a major update

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
So we are not getting a major update with new design like iOS 7 got and it won’t be the biggest update since the first iOS version, will be another small update with yes new Siri and rcs and a few ui design tweaks, I was hoping for a major update
Yeah, it sounds like there will be tweaks in some parts, just increasing the overall incoherency, instead of a comprehensive, thought-out overhaul.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I have seen you post the exact same thing every year.
How about you (for a change) tell us what it is that you would like changed?

Are you wanting every single icon redesigned? And if so, why? How would this change your daily experience after two weeks of getting used to the new ones?

Is it a freely customizable springboard you after? I don’t disagree that that should be a thing, but I also don’t think it’s going to happen because it goes against Apple’s philosophy of all of their devices looking pretty much the same.

So, short of iOS becoming android, where you can just change whatever you want, what exactly is it that you want?

Because to me, a small but noticeable redesign, a totally revamped Siri based on modern large language models, a revamped Shortcuts app with more AI capabilities, a totally revamped spotlight search… this sounds like a pretty huge update.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I have seen you post the exact same thing every year.
How about you (for a change) tell us what it is that you would like changed?

Are you wanting every single icon redesigned? And if so, why? How would this change your daily experience after two weeks of getting used to the new ones?

Is it a freely customizable springboard you after? I don’t disagree that that should be a thing, but I also don’t think it’s going to happen because it goes against Apple’s philosophy of all of their devices looking pretty much the same.

So, short of iOS becoming android, where you can just change whatever you want, what exactly is it that you want?

Because to me, a small but noticeable redesign, a totally revamped Siri based on modern large language models, a revamped Shortcuts app with more AI capabilities, a totally revamped spotlight search… this sounds like a pretty huge update.
All I want is the iPhone to feel new, since iso 1 it has looked the same design yes it’s changes in iOS 7 but even then it’s the same look at vision os and how fresh it feels, iOS needs that; sick of the same look year after year it’s boring

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
So it'll be more Microsoft-influenced flat design and neumorphism (which is a variant of flat design). How stupid!

Bring back all the skeuomorphic iOS 6 GUI elements, and all the skeuomorphic Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GUI elements! Also, create skeuomorphic graphics for any newer elements that did not exist in iOS 6 and Mountain Lion.

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Surprise us all with that iOS 18 works on currently unsupported devices and that they now can update to a cut down but secure iOS18 version and receive updates for a small subscription fee every year. Include all phones that has decent 4G , say from 5S and above.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.