Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
LOL@ the bookmark bar being new.

That is one hell of a copy/pasta editorial fail.

I was going to post the same thing when I opened this thread but I decided it was going to be posted a million times so instead I made a reply about the SMS tones.

It seems like a really slow news day at MR, so I guess they gobble up any news they can get without really doing any checking.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
One thing I think is new (at least I haven't noticed it before!) is that there is an undo button on the iPad keyboard in number mode. Much better than shaking it!

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
One thing I think is new ( at least I haven't noticed it before!) is that there is an undo button on the iPad keyboard in number mode. Much better than shaking it!

That is a nice feature! I really hate shaking the iPad, it's really awkward. I have a couple apps that try to get you to shake it to do things like "refresh" but it's just really weird and uncomfortable.

Note to developers: Avoid using shake as a gesture unless you are making a video game.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
More text tones is definitely better than nothing, but still considerably worse than custom tones. And it probably means custom tones isn't coming any time soon :-(

What's more, that selection simply isn't very good. Most of the new ones are really long for text tones - they'd get super annoying in everyday use.

In all seriousness, it would not surprise me at all if AirPlay got pushed out of 4.2. It doesn't seem ready yet, and it would not surprise me at all if the networks and providers of sports based video apps have thrown a massive, massive, massive strop about it so Apple will need to create a way for it to be disabled before it ships.

Phazer

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
These sound horrible. I want a text tone to last a second or less. These are long and obnoxious.

Ugh, FAIL. We need more stuff like Tri-tone or Bells, all of those are horrible. Though I did laugh at the Suspense one, but would never use it.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C5101c Safari/6533.18.5)

Wonder if purchased ringtones bug got fixed?

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Arn edited his post without mentioning his mistake...now we all look crazy for commenting on the Safari bookmark bar =\

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
new SMS tones=FAIL

I hope someone is punking us because those sms tones are just terrible. Heck, I would be embarrassed if someone texted me at the grocery store and I had one of those looney tones for my sms. Geez Apple, sms tones should be 1-2 seconds long at most!

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Those new texts tones are so much worse than the original. What good does an 8 second sound do? They must think people never get text messages. It almost seems they were meant to be ringtones, doesn't it?

happysymptom

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2008
These are some of the worst sms tones I have ever heard... the assumption is that we'll only hear it once, then just leave the message app open, right? That's the only excuse I can think of for "fanfare". Bleh.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
And for some real iPad changes (no terrible reporting):

Just got my iPad updated to beta 3. Safari feels a lot faster and switching between tabs seems to work better. Before it would almost always have to reload tabs if they had been open for awhile or if you load some web sites with lots of images/data and then switch back and forth. Seems pretty solid now, which is pretty awesome considering the iPad only has 256mb of ram.

Example: I typed this post up, then opened a new tab with the forums, opened another tab for the iPad forums, opened another tab for a specific thread, then opened a new tab with gmail, and another tab with youtube. So six different tabs open and the original one still stayed loaded and all the others did not refresh either!

I still think reloads might happen if you exit out of Safari and run some heavy apps (games) but it is much better now because even in beta 2 it would reload like crazy with certain websites.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Arn edited his post without mentioning his mistake...now we all look crazy for commenting on the Safari bookmark bar =\

Not unless you have proof!
Screen%20shot%202010-10-12%20at%207.45.14%20PM.png

carltabet

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Beirut
Jesus Christ these are all horrible SMS tones.
We could do well without any of them.
Worst one is Fanfare.
Why is it so hard for Apple to come up with discreet tones and why aren't they adding new ringtones after 3.5 years of iPhones ?

Fiddler70

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2010
Am sorry to Chime in...

TERRIBLE SMS tones! Getting 30-40 of these per day. These guys have no ides. They should have become SHORTER... not longer....

It seems to show how far off developers at Apple stand from reality.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
One thing I think is new (at least I haven't noticed it before!) is that there is an undo button on the iPad keyboard in number mode. Much better than shaking it!

Nope always been there. Same as "redo" in the symbol keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.