IOS 4.2 to be released November 9th to upstage Droid?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Risco, Nov 7, 2010.

1. labman macrumors 604

labman

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I honestly figured Apple would have pushed it out before today for the DST bug because 4.2 is stable and ready. But I was wrong.

3. shandyman Suspended

they gave a manual workaround for the dst, so wouldnt rush 4.2 just for that. public release is always at least a week after GM so devs can test apps on it and submit to app store. they wouldnt rush it for a little bug....

i think it will be tuesday at earliest as 10.6.5 and itunes 10.1 need to be released for 4.2 to work and apple wont do all 3 at once.

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Well I guess if they release 4.2 on the 9th and it out-trends the Droid on Twitter then Apple wins some bragging rights. Which translate to...hang on, carry the 1, times 4 to the 3rd power, times Twitter-mentions divided by overall Tweets.....ok, translates to $0 for Apple.

So, if they waited to get me 4.2 for that I will be mildly annoyed. But remember, Steve said last week: "We have to let go of the notion that for Apple to win, Google has to lose." If he really meant that then I would hope he wouldn't hold a software update in the hopes that it will do better on Twitter.

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't see how 4.2 could upstage anything, other than an update to a virus checker.

7. shandyman Suspended

8. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I definitely think it will be next week for sure but what day is just a guessing game. We should take bets! :D I got $50 on Tuesday!

9. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

the carrier update is already available though :/

10. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

To assume Apple isn't paying close attention to Android would be incredibly naive.

However, a minor update to iOS will have no relevance to a Droid release. So yeah...OP is way off.

11. shandyman Suspended

pass then, but i see no reason why it should give a date in the carrier update for 4.2

12. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

back to 10.6.5 and 4.2 and itunes 10.1, im guessing they will 10.6.5 one day and itunes and 4.2 another. this way their servers wont get overloaded from so many updates. im guessing 10.6.5 maybe tomorrow or tuesday and the rest either the day after or a few days after. if its not this week it will be the week after.

13. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

iOS needs to add a better push notification system, better multitasking and an alternative to Flash that will allow Mobile Safari to play embedded media for starters. iOS 4.2 will only have minor bug fixes and mediocre upgrades and wont "upstage" anything.

:rolleyes:

14. ajarnfalang, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

ajarnfalang macrumors regular

4.2 has some extra SMS tones. Big deal.

Also, if you own an Android device, it doesn't really matter that Google releases an update for Android. The device you bought (HTC, MOTOROLA, Samsung, whatever) may never be getting an upgrade anyway.

That's the joy of buying Android. There are some year old Android handsets still on 2.0 and 2.1 that will never see their phones updated, and we are talking about Android 3.0.

Will your carrier have the update? and if so, will the phone you bought get it? Who knows.

At least, as an iPhone user, I know when 4.2 comes out, I plug in my phone to my computer, and I get the update.

It may be that people with phones that were bought with Android 2.0 will see Android 4.0 come around and their handsets still stuck with the OS it came with.

15. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

XDA-Developers. 'Nuff said.

16. ajarnfalang, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

ajarnfalang macrumors regular

Regular sucker mom phone users. 'Nuff said.

It should be as easy as my iPhone.

Apple says "Update ready tomorrow". Tomorrow I plug in my phone to my computer. it updates. The end.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Yes cause them getting an update effects us a vise a versa

18. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Thanks for making his point for him.

Not only do I *not* need a computer for my Android phone official update (OTA FTW), but if I do want to use a computer then I have my choice of 2 or 3 ROMs after Google puts out an update.

There's nothing wrong with the iPhone upgrade process being easy. It is less hassle for grandmothers and Justin Bieber fans who don't know the first thing about technology (which means that you guys don't call us asking for help when you can't figure it out)

Let us know when you're ready for a big-boy phone and not some glorified iPod that can barely make a phone call without dropping it ;)

19. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Like was said earlier there has to be a Mac OS update and iTunes update before 4.2 can even be released. It seems it would cause lots of problems if they tried to do this at the same time.

20. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Thank you :)

Cyanogen or w/e modder says "Update tomorrow." Tomorrow I download the file, drag it onto my microsd, and flash it with a recovery image on the phone. The end.

Or, if you want to do it the 'easy and official way'- no problemo. Google says "Update tomorrow". Tomorrow I get an alert that there is an update available, I hit OK, and it downloads and installs the update OTA. The end.

Easy enough, no?

21. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

This is the truth. I own a nexus one and iPhone 4 so I can say without bias that android has the better upgrade process and unlike ios the option of installing a custom rom is priceless. I'm looking forward to Cyanogen 6.1 final release. I'm really not caring about 4.2 on iOS, same ***** different day.

22. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Installing custom ROM? thank God my house is void of Droid. Look like I make a right decision. I don't know how easy or difficult upgrade on iOS is since I just owned it but one thing I know: back up & sync is super easy. In fact it just a matter of plug in your phone. Everything is automatic.

23. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Duplicated.

24. err404 macrumors 68020

Too bad custom ROMs require an unlocked bootloader. The vast majority of android handsets sold are locked and the process of unlocking may void the warranty. Vendors are also actively working to make unlocking more difficult.

While custom ROMs are cool, it's not a 'point' for android since it's generally not supported. Just about anything you say about Rooting also applies to JB (good and bad). JB or Rooting, pick your poison.