Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Would You Want the Hardware Lock on the iPad to be for?

• Total voters

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Hadn't noticed this poll before - - orientation lock all the way for me.

Lukeyy19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
England, UK
Rotation Lock defiantly, i could already mute it with he volume switch, should at the very least be an option in the settings.

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
In all honesty when I heard they were switching it, even though I didn't have my iPad yet then, it made me mad but after having my iPad for 2 months I can say that I have only used the orenintation lock twice and both times the hard and soft one work just as good as the other. IMO : D

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I would prefer it was a mute switch, but that is only because I hate the hold-down-to-mute volume rocker. I rarely want to mute my iPad. Usually I just want to decrease the volume and instinctively hold down the rocker to reduce the volume quickly. Of course this mutes the iPad, which means I then have to grumble while re-increasing the volume to where I wanted it.

Since Apple insists on have both the rocker and the switch continue to mute the device - then it might as well be a rotation lock.

rockinred

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
I will stick with the rotation lock... since new upgrade the switch doesn't work as a mute anymore. So at this point it is useless. I hit mute and it doesn't do anything. :mad:

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
ROTATION LOCK PLEASE

This is so annoying. I love the aspect ratio auto-rotation, but there are certainly times where I need to lock it. Click-click-swipe-swipe is too cumbersome.

As others have said, if it's software switchable (as Apple clearly showed) then it should be user-settable.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
I hadn't seen this poll for a while. Wow. Those are pretty clear figures, though there should have been an option for 'user selectable', I guess.

When engaging in discussions with people in threads about this change, it feels more 50-50, and those who like having a hardware mute switch will tell you in no uncertain terms that, like, everybody needs that function, dur.

The counter-point might be, try this poll again in 6 months' time once everyone's got used to it and you have a bunch of new users who have never known any different. But the poll should be worded: do you ever use the mute switch?

My hypothesis: iPad 2 will have no switch.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Since the update, I never touch the mute toggle or lock the screen. I've adapted to the situation because offer won't offer us the choice. Whereas before I mostly used the iPad in landscape, now I don't.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
orientation lock! ugh i HATE the mute switch. almost crashed my car the other day trying to lock the damn screen so it wouldn't rotate around all over while trying to use GPS..... so god damn annoying I almost threw the iPad out the car window...

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
With Activator (jailbreak application) I just have to tap the status bar twice. Much easier to access to multitask panel. I hate tapping the home button (even once!)

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
In the iPad it makes more sense to have it as a rotation lock since I don't think the majority of users use it as an iPod music player.

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
I don't see the point of the mute button. I was watching a movie and switched it on and movie sound still kept going? If it's just for notifications, it's definitely stupid in my opinion.
I hope they bring back orientation lock hardware switch please!

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I'd have preferred a user option to define what the switch does. That said, I would probably set it to rotation lock rather than mute.

Mawal

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I do not need a mute button on the Ipad...much to my surprise the software rotation lock works nicely for me.

Actually, my Ipad is 99% of the locked in landscape mode...so it is no big deal for me.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Rotation lock for sure, holding the volume down to mute worked perfectly fine. Why must Apple complicate things... It worked so beautifully before..

Holding volume down still works.

The 'mute' button is labelled as 'Silent' in the latest manual for 4.2, I see.

Here's the wording for what it's supposed to do:

Slide the Silent button up to mute the sound; slide it down to unmute the sound.

It doesn't do that. It only mutes notification sounds and the sounds from certain, unpredictable, apps.

This is why it should be switched back, and/or be user-settable. It confuses me every time I return to this, how unintuitive and un-Apple it is. There must be external reasons behind all this.

Jack97

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Well, since it has changed there's nothing we can do about it at the moment. Unless Steve jobs sees sense and changes it back. Either that or it could be changed to a favourites switch to open and close your favourite application. But I think a screen rotation lock is still the best way to go.
:apple:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
This.

I guess if you want to nitpick technically the mute button functions a little different. It only mutes certain sounds. Like notifications and whatnot.... but still! Same damn concept!

You hold the volume key for literally one full second and the thing mutes. Seems pointless to have two physical buttons with the same function.

I want to be able to choose too!

As long as the holding down of the volume does that, I'm good with the switch being rotation lock. But I also like having rotation lock now on my iPhone. Sometimes I'll read at an angle and go nuts trying to keep it at the right angle.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
I want what it was originally used for! I don't like hardware that suddenly changes because the creator wants it to be similar to their phones..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.