iOS 4.3 Beta Brings Software Option for Rotation Lock or Mute on iPad

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One of the more controversial changes made with the release of iOS 4.2 late last year was a change in the functionality of the switch on the side of the iPad, moving it from a screen rotation lock to a mute switch as seen on the iPhone. Apple CEO Steve Jobs had even reportedly responded to a customer question by noting that the change was permanent and that it would not be a user-configurable option.

Apple appears to have had a change of heart, as today's iOS 4.3 beta appears to have added an option in the device's Settings application to allow users to customize the behavior of the switch.

Article Link: iOS 4.3 Beta Brings Software Option for Rotation Lock or Mute on iPad

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
This is awesome! :) Steve, put whatever you like as the default, but as long as I get to change it I'm happy. :D Let's hope this makes it past the beta!

bobobenobi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2010
This is great. I hate that the switch is wasted on the mute function when a one-second push of the volume rocker does the same thing.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
One of the more controversial changes made with the release of iOS 4.2 late last year was a change in the functionality of the switch on the side of the iPad, moving it from a screen rotation lock to a mute switch as seen on the iPhone. Apple CEO Steve Jobs had even reportedly responded to a customer question by noting that the change was permanent and that it would not be a user-configurable option.

Apple appears to have had a change of heart, as today's iOS 4.3 beta appears to have added an option in the device's Settings application to allow users to customize the behavior of the switch.
... or the "email" from Steve was a fake and he never said that it would not be a user-configurable option.

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
this is awesome news!!! i want my rotation lock back!

can i have an option to close apps properly please as well instead of me double clicking home button and closing them one by one?

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Now when you set the switch to lock orientation the other switch in the multitasking bar changes to mute.

Attachments

LadyHoneyBabe

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Best screen shot I've seen in a while. :D

I also noticed Apple's putting Location Services as a menu option. I guess if you tap on it, it'll show all the apps with Location Services turned on. I wonder why they decided to move it from the General menu option...

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
Apple CEO Steve Jobs had even reportedly responded to a customer question by noting that the change was permanent and that it would not be a user-configurable option.
All he said was "nope" in response to whether they were planning to make it an option. Apparently, at the time, they weren't. :)

Drew n macs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
The mute thing really does not work on the Ipad. You Close the switch and it does mute the volume but you can turn the volume back up with the volume buttons even though the "rotate/mute" button is in the same position.

jaglad

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
Royston, UK
This is excellent news, hate having to double tap to lock my screen, it seems so much easier on the phone than the pad, well done apple!

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
Here's what happened.

Steve was reading something on his iPad.
His hand got tired so he set the iPad on the desk in front of him.
The display rotated.
Steve cursed and called the VP of iOS demanding the option to have a hardware lock on screen rotation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.