Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

101535-ios_4_3_sdk_beta_notice.jpg

BGR reports that iOS 4.3 has hit the golden master stage, with Apple reportedly having finalized the next version of the operating system running the company's popular iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Apple TV devices.
One of our Apple sources has just informed us that it looks like Apple has finalized the code for its upcoming iOS 4.3 release. The build, we're told, is 8F190 for those keeping track.
iOS 4.3 could make its public debut sometime within the next week, quite possibly at Apple's media event scheduled for next Wednesday. The updated operating system version is set to add such new features as personal Wi-Fi hotspot functionality, enhanced support for AirPlay video streaming, and a software toggle to set the functionality of the iPad's side switch.

Earlier this month, BGR pinpointed the build number of an iOS 4.3 developer seed that appeared just a few hours later.

Article Link: iOS 4.3 Hitting Golden Master, Public Debut at Next Week's Media Event?

avonord

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Soo..... can I ...

1. set up a wifi hot spot on the street on my iphone
2. use the wifi antenna on the same iphone and connect to the wifi network
3. use facetime?

lol...

LanPhantom

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Hooper, UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great question. I wonder if you could connect to a friend/spouses hot spot and use FaceTime on the road.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

LANPhantom

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Jobs said that they were adding 3g support for FaceTime in 2011. Hopefully soon, but I doubt it. I don't use it much, especially because of the wifi only issue.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Is there a build for the 3G? Or is it being phased out ..

None of the features that debuted in iOS 4.3 apply to the iPhone 3G because it doesn't support multi-tasking and Personal Hotspot only works on the iPhone 4 (MyWi only supports adhoc mode so you can't connect a Nintendo DS or PSP to its hotspot. Infrastructure mode is what Personal Hotspot uses, and that chip is only on the iPhone 4).

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doesn't sound like a big enough upgrade to lose my jailbreak.

noire anqa

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
None of the features that debuted in iOS 4.3 apply to the iPhone 3G because it doesn't support multi-tasking and Personal Hotspot only works on the iPhone 4 (MyWi only supports adhoc mode so you can't connect a Nintendo DS or PSP to its hotspot. Infrastructure mode is what Personal Hotspot uses, and that chip is only on the iPhone 4).

Makes sense. What's 'Infrastructure Mode'?

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2010
Do we yet have any idea if unlimited AT&T data users will be getting Personal Hotspot?

Soo..... can I ...

1. set up a wifi hot spot on the street on my iphone
2. use the wifi antenna on the same iphone and connect to the wifi network
3. use facetime?

lol...

negative. some site (i think engadget) did a full review of the wifi hot spot.

If you have two iphones you can use one as a wifi hotspot and facetime on the other (because it recognizes it as a wifi network), but the iphone creating the hotspot cannot use it itself.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Do we yet have any idea if unlimited AT&T data users will be getting Personal Hotspot?

no. you need a tethering plan, which gives up unlimited data.

arn

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
its not on the dev site but hopefully it will be up soon. maybe they will add some new features, because this will not hold us over lol. and i hope ios 5 will be awesome.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Makes sense. What's 'Infrastructure Mode'?

Infrastructure mode is where your WiFi chip acts like a router, which is compatible with any WiFi network device. Adhoc mode is for more simpler computer-to-computer connections. Not every device (like a Nintendo DS) will connect to an adhoc network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.