Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
AppleInsider seem to have a complete feature and bug fix list for iOS 4.3:

New major features in iOS 4.3

• Improved Safari JavaScript performance using the Nitro engine, which Apple says boosts JavaScript execution up to twice as fast. JavaScript powers much of the interactivity of modern web apps.
• Support for AirPlay video streaming by third party apps, as well as videos within the web browser or within the Photos app. Streamed photos also use slideshow transitions.
• The ability to locally stream (without downloading or syncing) any content from your iTunes library via Home Sharing: music, movies, TV, podcasts, or audiobooks.

New minor features in iOS 4.3

• A new Noteworthy font in Notes
• Fixes a slideshow stop after 15 image when using AirPlay
• The ability to cancel and delete an app that is downloading. It is currently only possible to delete an app that has been installed.
• A slightly redesigned keyboard; missing accented letters in European keyboard popups; increased font size for China and Pinyin inputs
• A new Parental Controls setting for the iTunes Ping social network
• A new menu for scrubbing in videos, with Fine Scrubbing by seconds/frames; Quarter Scrubbing by second; Half Speed Scrubbing by minute and Hi-Speed Scrubbing by minutes.
• A new Updates section in the App Store and new Accounts section in the Store menu.
• Location Services settings moves from General to Settings Menu, and both Location Services and Mail accounts ON/OFF button is changed to a lock symbol.

Some minor features (outside of Personal Hotspot) and bug fixes are also targeting just GSM iPhones:

• Baseband is updated to 05.16.00 (for iPhone 3GS), 04.10.01 (for GSM iPhone 4)
• Enabled Traffic Volume Indicator IE in CELL UPDATE; fixes issue with integrity protection failing after SRNS relocation and iPhone units deactivating and not activating after baseband logging is enabled
• A control to set repeat of text tone (up to 10 times)
• Automatic refresh of information displayed in Field Test Mode (removing manual refresh)
• Slideshow options have moved to Photos app
• New Contact photo user interface
• Dual vibrate when receiving a text message

New bug fixes in iOS 4.3

• Accessibility: Voice Over now reads the entire chart in stocks app while in landscape mode. Fixed issues that prevented controls from being dismissed, or that prevented the keyboard from returning when highlighting and swiping through search results
• Calendar: deleting a recurring event now make the alarm go away; fixed an all-day alarm going off an hour early. Canceled recurring CalDAV calendar events now removed on the event list. Fixed Exchange calendar event duplicating when passing Israeli daylight savings time.
• Language: updates inconsistent translations in Chinese, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese; fixes auto-correction issue when switch back from Emoji to English keyboard
• Mail: fixes orientation of Mail not following device orientation under specific conditions; fixes popover when drilling into a thread while the empty search field is focused; fixes mail message view and orientation when quickly selecting a message and hitting edit mode
• Safari: addresses issue that caused browser to crash after loading certain websites

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
How about some features everyone would use? Like Voice Dial (!) and system wide speech to text.... Android has both and they are superb features....

Text to speech and speech to text would be nice. Particularly the second (think texting while *cringe* driving or just don't have both hands free). The Dragon Dictation software is meh.

What kind of voice dial? Voice control already exists. Hold down the Home button (or Play/Pause button on headsets) for about 3 seconds. Voice control allows "dial" or "call" and speak numbers or "John Smith, work".
I had never tried just speaking numbers before, but just did and it totally works.

I use the voice control sometimes if the phone is in my pocket and I'm listening to [music/podcast] and want to make a call. Hold down Play/Pause button, hear beeps, speak "call mom" and it repeats my control and dials the number. When the call ends my [music/podcast] starts right back up. Very nice.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
so i got my 2nd gen ipod touch less than 2 years ago. it is no longer supported by iOS..... mandatory upgrade?

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
so i got my 2nd gen ipod touch less than 2 years ago. it is no longer supported by iOS..... mandatory upgrade?

I don't think it will stop working with iOS 4.2.1, will it?

It may not be eligible to run the latest version of the OS, but then, Lion won't support all Intel Macs and Windows 7 doesn't support all hardware either. And 6 month old Windows 6.x phones can't upgrade to Windows Phone 7.
Most Android phones don't get upgrades of any kind. Can folks upgrade their Nexus One to OS 2.3 or 3.0?

Anywho...

Frustrating, sure, but it's the way of technology. Apple is particularly aggressive on this. Gesture functionality on MBs/MBPs comes to mind...

APPLENEWBIE

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
The high desert, USA
Text to speech and speech to text would be nice. Particularly the second (think texting while *cringe* driving or just don't have both hands free). The Dragon Dictation software is meh.

What kind of voice dial? Voice control already exists. Hold down the Home button (or Play/Pause button on headsets) for about 3 seconds. Voice control allows "dial" or "call" and speak numbers or "John Smith, work".
I had never tried just speaking numbers before, but just did and it totally works.

I use the voice control sometimes if the phone is in my pocket and I'm listening to [music/podcast] and want to make a call. Hold down Play/Pause button, hear beeps, speak "call mom" and it repeats my control and dials the number. When the call ends my [music/podcast] starts right back up. Very nice.

Yikes! How did I mis THAT? Thanks!

Timeraner

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
iOS 4.3

They better have hid some of the features for the final GM!!

...where's my free MobileMe? :(

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
any guesses or ideas whether iOS 4.3 will run slowly on the original ipad? i'd like that safari update but wouldn't want to sacrifice overall usability to get it.

jealousguy86

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
So is Photo booth going to be on iPhone or just iPad?

that's what i want to know... i have a 4th gen ipod touch, would love it to have photo booth. from what i gathered from today's event, it sounded like iOS 4.3 would have photo booth, meaning the iphone and ipod would get it too... i could be wrong though..

jongriff

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Lawford, UK
I could care less about 4.3 unless it has the 4 finger gestures for multitasking that have been shown on this site previously. If it had those included, I would be drooling over this update.

Have you used them yet in the beta? I was excited for them too but having used them I think they are a non-event. They are always enabled on my device but I never use them - apart from the lack of a 'click' sound I just can't see the benefit.

Maybe if Apple ever actually brings it to mainstream it will be somehow better implemented etc but in my opinion we are missing nothing by this not being included in 4.3.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Faster Safari is what I am excited about most to be honest. Love to search faster while on 3G.
They're talking about how Safari handles java applications. This does not necessarily have anything to do with internet speeds.

Steve came out of hiding for THIS?

Really?

It's thinner and faster than last year's, and comes with the cameras it should have had to begin with?

Yeah, a real...game changer?

Sorry, but the most exciting thing announced was the Garage Band app, and that's going to be available for everyone, I think.

So in other words...meh.

Where is the lala.com replacement?
+1 for Garage Band. I may just pick up an iPad 2 because of this.

I, too, am wondering what happened to all the lala.com tech they bought. (lala.com used to own woxy.com, but Bill N sold it off before the sale to Apple.)

Uh...but of what use is it if you can only access it from your HOME network?

Or am I missing something?
Nope. I'm guessing if you want all your media available on your device while you're exercising or reading/watching movies in bed.

Did anyone see the fine print on the leather covers on http://www.apple.com?

"The leather Smart Cover is crafted from high-quality, naturally treated material that gets its color from a rich aniline dye. Some color may rub off during use."

Stay tuned for LeatherGate starting March 11...
I don't know... "Leather Smart" does not sound like it's real leather to me. Kind of like the real smell of fake Naugahyde...

yes if you are on your couch and you hate watching tv on your hdtv or listening to music on your stereo you can watch or listen to it on your ipad from your home computer iTunes library.
:D

...The next step (i.e., the Cloud) will be nice, but this is a great start.
Nice until you get your monthly bill for data charges.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.