iOS 4.3 vs iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipedro, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

iOS 4.3 has shown that Apple is willing to make big changes in a point update. The addition of WiFi Personal Hotspot, AirPlay from 3rd parties and 4 finger gesture controls are not the kind of additions you'd expect from a "maintenance update".

So what does this mean for iOS5?

It appears that we should expect some ground breaking changes in iOS5. Discuss.

2. Daveoc64, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

IMO none of the features introduced in iOS 4.1 , 4.2 or 4.3 have been "ground breaking" (at least for iPhone).

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Gestures has the potential to be ground breaking I think. It changes the whole "physical" metaphor of iOS.

Swiping from side to side to reveal running apps or pinching for home gives the impression of stacked levels where apps are lined up next to eachother above a homescreen which is on a "physical" level below. Literally as if apps were pieces of paper on top of a desk (homescreen).

3rd Party AirPlay is absolutely groundbreaking in its own right. Suddenly your iPhone/iPod/iPad becomes the AppleTV that everybody's wished for. Any App will be able to be streamed to your big screen. This makes every iPhone/iPod/iPad user an AppleTV customer. This puts Apple at the forefront of the living room market that everybody's had such a hard time being successful in.

Anyhow, the basis of this thread is that these are new features, not just maintenance. If Apple is putting these out in a point update, what can we expect from a full number upgrade? iOS5 will need to be dramatically changed to justify its move from 4 to 5.

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Or it could mean iOS 5 will be less groundbreaking if they are adding major features now. Who knows..

5. shandyman Suspended

the hotspot and that is just to bring the iPhone 4 inline across the world with the feature on the verizon one.

as for gestures, probably because 4.3 will be for iPad 2 as well as original iPad.

6. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Remember that iOS 4.3 is not bringing any new features to iPhone except for the hotpot thingy.

7. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

and proper airplay video, and whatever else is included we don't know about yet, and personally the "hotspot thingy" is a big thing to me, i really want this feature.

8. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

... and of course Gestures. That's a pretty big NEW feature.

My argument is that point updates are typically meant to make existing features work better. Brand new features generally means a full number upgrade.

If these kinds of changes are happening for 4.3, I can't imagine how big of an update iOS5 is going to be! :D

I'm thinking that features associated with new hardware in iPhone 5 such as Near Field Communications will be enough of a jump to justify the "5" but I'm also hoping for a serious update to the UI.

When iPhone first came out, the UI and features lived up to its "5 years ahead of the competition" claim. Today, Android and even Windows Phone 7 make iOS's UI look dated. Apple will need quite an overhaul to reclaim that title.

The hardware is certainly the best of any other phone but the UI looks.... well, 5 years old.

9. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

If they're going to stay competitive with Android, they're going to need to drop new iOS features more than once a year.

I suspect that's what began with 4.2 and will continue with 4.3.

10. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

How can it already have lived up a 5-year claim after 3 and a half years? Just sayin...

Also, how does the iPhone suddenly become the Apple TV everyone has always wanted? I thought air play just sent video to the Apple TV.

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah I agree. iOS 3 and iOS 4 have been good updates, but in the end, no dramatic departures from iOS 1 (i.e. the operation of the OS hasn't changed).

12. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

At the pace innovation was proceeding, it would have taken about 5 years to reach the point where the original iPhone was starting at. iPhone changed the industry so the reality we live in today is different than the one where iPhone didn't exist.

I wrote this early last year:

13. Eso, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This isn't the syfy network; we can't conjecture about realities in which the iPhone didn't exist.

I see your point about apps on the Apple TV. I thought you meant that the iPhone would be like the Apple TV or something.

14. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Regardless of your opinion about alternate realities, the fact is that when iPhone was launched, the Motorola Razor was the hottest phone out there :rolleyes:

That was the basis on which iPhone was "5 years ahead of its time".

Anyway, back to iOS4.3 vs iOS5. I agree that Apple needs to release new features more than once per year.

I still wonder what kind of features iOS5 will launch to justify the full number upgrade. Any ideas?

15. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I'm surprised 4.3 is releasing these cool new features. iOS 5 is probably going to be ground breaking.

16. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I expect better notifications to be a big part of iOS 5 as well as wireless syncing and better integration into the (iTunes) cloud.

17. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Apple has heard our cry before, and answered them several times.. Maybe Slowly, but they did answer them.. Think about it... We wanted multitasking they gave it to us, threaded email, they gave it to us, folders, tethering, and the list goes on...It went from me jailbreaking to get all those things. To me jailbreaking just to use quick reply.. Apple slowly added everything that we wanted. Each update they gave us something that we had been looking for.. But now, IOS 5.. Is going to be the software that changes everything again. Just by looking at the beta, they are trying to make the user experience more efficient, with the gestures and etc. I think this is going to be the best update! I think we are going to finally get the new notification system that we been waiting on.. (Remember about a year ago, Apple hired the guy that worked at Palm and made their notification system). I think Apple is going to introduce some things that we havent even imagined before..
    Not to mention the new iphone. Iphone 4 or 5 whatever they call it.. I think we are finally going to get that bigger screen. With the new battery tech they been working on. List goes on... The next couple of months are going to be huge.

18. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I really hope they get some sort of widget type system is coming in iOS5. That is one of the few elements that I see on Droid and I wish it was on the iPhone. That and a better notification system will keep me content for quite a while. I think the quality of the apps available on the apple platform is the other big positive for Apple.
    Held off on the original iPad, but I plan to take the leap there with version 2. Can't wait till April, or whenever.

19. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

Does anybody remember when the 4.0 betas came out?

20. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I'm not 100% sure but I think it was in April/May sometime.

21. Krandor macrumors 6502

I bet widgets come in IOS 5 as well as part of a major redesign of the UI.

22. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Yeah I wouldn't bet against it, would be pretty cool as well.

23. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

What would be the point of calling it iOS 5 (as opposed to e.g. 4.8, 4.9, etc) if it didn't have "ground changing" features?

24. vachargerfan macrumors regular

I just can't wait for Hulu Plus + Airplay. Fios will not like me when I cancel the cable :D

25. dave420 macrumors 65816

Has Hulu confirmed Airplay support? I contacted them asking why they didn't allow videos to be played on a TV using the Apple video cable, and they said their licensing restrictions prevent that. So I don't really see them supporting Airplay.