iOS 4 Missing The Most Basic Feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gceo, Jun 8, 2010.

1. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

Well, I just got up and running on GM 4.0. I have to say that after all the nice updates and features, one of the most basic (and often most asked for) is missing.

What I really need is a 'locked' home screen that allows me to show information from my Calendar, etc. I can't tell you how many birthdays, and other important dates I've missed by not knowing about them, and the alternative is to check the Calendar every single day, but this gets redundant and is an extra task that doesn't need to happen is iOS had a proper Home screen.

Seriously... I need to email Steve about this.

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

All my important dates and appointments pop up with a notification as far in advance as I set them to in my calendar.

3. dgree03 macrumors 65816

dgree03

You can see every notification and read it from the home screen?

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

This is one of many reasons I jailbreak. There's no excuse for Apple to not add this type of functionality to the OS. If they want to stop jailbreaking, they should give people features they want. The need to add a quick reply feature for SMS too but that's something else I get by jailbreaking.

5. danb77 macrumors 6502

Jailbreak and add Lock Info. It does precisely this, and excellently.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

We shouldn't have to jailbreak to have this. I agree, an informative homepage/lock screen is a BASIC feature. Why is it every other smartphone manufacturer gets this except Apple? FAIL

7. gceo thread starter macrumors 6502a

gceo

Yeah, I know.

I set all mine up years ago, and I have hundreds of them.... shoots.

The other big problem is that I use my phone... A LOT. So many times I'll see a notification, but before I can read it, the phone rings, or a text comes in, and the notification is gone. Bummer.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's missing? A better notification system. A reworked UI, the current UI is too constraining, so much so the task manager that pops up is kind of kludgy
    Some may say widgets, using an android phone, I'd have to say that the use of widgets is a big plus .

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, there are 2 issues here.

1) You're right, the iPhone home screen and notification system need a lot of help. Apple should totally fix it the way you want it to be fixed.

and

2) I can't believe you can't be bothered to look at your calendar every day. I would lose my job if I didn't check and see what I was doing every day. And no, my work calendar isn't even on my phone so changing the iPhone wouldn't affect that one way or the other. It involves opening Outlook and looking at the darned thing. But I do it every day.

And what about my iPhone calendar? Well, I've never managed to miss a dentist appointment, pick up my daughter at the wrong time, or forget the dinner at my mom's house. It's easy because I look at my calendar.

Before the iPhone I used to carry around a big physical notebook in my pocket. (With a pen!) The iPhone has made this a million times easier and it's STILL too hard for you? It needs to be a million-and-1 times easier for you to be bothered to use it?

I'm sorry, I guess I'm ranting. I just don't understand this at all.

10. Hovey macrumors regular

Alerts

I just set an alert on anything important I need to remember. I'm not sure what the problem is with that? Plus using mobileMe in conjunction, I get the same alert on my work computer in Outlook. The only time I forget something is when I don't put it on my iPhone.

11. gceo thread starter macrumors 6502a

gceo

So your telling me I have to sign up for a $99/year service, and change tons and tons of events to have an alert associated with them? This is obviously an oversight on Apple's part.

This is the one big feature that makes me jealous of Android.

And again, different strokes for different folks... we all use our phones differently. What might be a great feature to me, might be unimportant to others. I understand that, and I'm asking for something really basic.

12. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think the biggest thing that's missing is an iPhone forum that is Android fanboy free.

13. Hovey macrumors regular

No you don't have to pay $99 a year. Just set the alert on your phone. If you want to, sync it to your desktop/laptop calendar for free with your sync cable. It's not hard at all.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yes, there is no setting for a reminder (snooze) and they often get lost by answering phone calls etc... The alert system is weak at best.

15. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I believe this was a toss-up for Apple, whereas it wants to cater to the mass audience, and at the same time still provide enough functionality for the original target audience of the smartphones: business professionals.

Obviously the general population won out on this one, and it makes sense not to swarm the home screen to the point where you can't see the background image.

So I guess the only solution really is to jailbreak, and break out of the cradle.

16. WiiMarioHacker macrumors member

I agree. This is why I also hacked the Wii.

17. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

seriously, with everything that was introduced people are still complaining. WTF??

18. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I agree, the notification system is highly inadequate right now, needs to be some way to track multiple notifications, not just the last that came up.

19. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

OP, I just went to birthdayalarm.com an year or so ago, and manually added the birthday's anniversaries and important days and even holidays of everyone I know.

Best decision I made. It sends me an email a week or so before the day basically giving me a heads up to buy a present or whatever. And it sends me another email at 11:30 pm the night before, so I remember to call the person the next day.

Also OP, Email Steve Jobs.

Sjobs@apple.com

You have a higher chance of getting these things implemented than you do by posting them here. :D

20. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I guess the idea of a calendar alert is just over your head. Drop the pipe.

21. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Or the alert system is a big fail!

22. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Really?! A screaming alarm and a big alert window on your lock screen to warn you of an upcoming event is fail?!

Just how much ARE you smoking, then?!

23. gb7 macrumors member

This +1

24. chembox macrumors 6502a

Why? Competition is good.

Denying that the iPhone is missing any features makes you the fanboy.

25. mags631 Guest

I don't know if it qualifies as the most basic feature, but I like the idea and would love to have it on my iphone.