Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aug 19, 2008
Don't expect that one to ever happen. Apple seems to be on the track of these being single user (account) items for the foreseeable future if not always.

That's not true and multi-account is one of the major issue with iCloud and iOS.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
A5X = Cortex-A9 dual / quad core for iPad 3

A6 = Cortex-A15 dual core for iPhone 5, which would mean a release not before October

You could be onto something.

I say the A5X (faster dual-core CPU / quad-core GPU) goes into the iPad 3.

The A6 (dual-core Cortex A15 CPU / dual-core PowerVR Rogue GPU) goes into the next iPhone this fall

Next year, iPad 4 gets A6X, which possibly would be same as the A6 but with quad-core GPU instead of dual-core GPU.

It may signal a shift of the iPhone getting the newer processor first instead of the iPad.

Having said all that, come end of the day, I could be completely wrong. But that's my best guess based info revealed so far.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 Chips: A15x = A6, A9 = A5X

Two chips I think will be used.

iPhone 5 will not require full quad core Cortex A9 chip. Considering Texas Instruments is the leader in the A15x based design and will not ship their Dual Core systems until early 2013 I figure Apple with their engineering Arm will have a similar solution.

So iPhone Chip possibilities:
Dual-Core Cortex A15x - or -
Quad-Core Cortex A9

iPad:
Dual-Core Cortex A15x

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
My thoughts:

iPad 2 "updated" 16GB $499
A5X dual-core 28nm Cortex A9 @ 1.2GHz
PowerVR SGX543MP2

(A5X also for use in iPod touch.)

iPad 3 32GB $579, 64GB $779, 128GB $879
Retina display
A6 quad-core 28nm Cortex A9 @ 1.4GHz
PowerVR SGX543MP6

I'm hoping for Cortex A15 for the A6, but I'm not convinced of that yet.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I guess you never had an iphone 3g on 4.x.x. Apple wants you to upgrade buddy. $$$$$$$$$$$

Even my iPhone 4 runs slower on iOS 5.0.1 than I would of thought it would. I keep thinking Apple has deliberately crippled it so that I would want to get a 4S.

----------

It may signal a shift of the iPhone getting the newer processor first instead of the iPad.

Having said all that, come end of the day, I could be completely wrong. But that's my best guess based info revealed so far.

Why would the iPhone need the newer processor first? The iPad is the bigger device, that in reality should be more powerful than a phone - especially if Apples vision is that most people will have a tablet instead of a laptop.

Stanjara

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2011
Well

I don't get it...where do you come up with these ideas. Using my logic, there aren't going to be two models of specs of any new product with Apple. The same thing happened to iphone 4s,5. iphone 4s is going to have low specs and iphone 5 is going to have bigger screen and a5.

Apple is putting a lot of effort, money and resources to come up with their products. They want to sell their products even after the new models are out...because lot of units are left off..in the production line or on the shelves of stores. For the lower cost market they just bring down the price of their older models so that all users have the same experience of quality and usability of their products.

Their new products are only going to be better then their older models....no hi end low end specs of the same new model. I don't bring memory into this because everyone buys capacity for their need...witch doesn't influence overall performance.

A5x is going to be used in the iPad 3 or in their other product...like new ipod touch...or apple tv.... There aren't going to be two kinds of processors in the same new product

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I don't get it...where do you come up with these ideas. Using my logic, there aren't going to be two models of specs of any new product with Apple. The same thing happened to iphone 4s,5. iphone 4s is going to have low specs and iphone 5 is going to have bigger screen and a5.

Apple is putting a lot of effort, money and resources to come up with their products. They want to sell their products even after the new models are out...because lot of units are left off..in the production line or on the shelves of stores. For the lower cost market they just bring down the price of their older models so that all users have the same experience of quality and usability of their products.

Their new products are only going to be better then their older models....no hi end low end specs of the same new model. I don't bring memory into this because everyone buys capacity for their need...witch doesn't influence overall performance.

A5x is going to be used in the iPad 3 or in their other product...like new ipod touch...or apple tv.... There aren't going to be two kinds of processors in the same new product
The 4S already has the A5 so the iPhone 5 will have the A6.

Who says the A5X SoC is for the iPad 3? Why can't it be for an updated iPad 2? The only difference being it made at 28nm. And for an iPod touch.

The A6 should be for the iPad 3 though.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Perhaps the iPad 2S, and iPad 3

iphone 5 and ipad 3 perhaps?
or apple tv 3?

I was thinking perhaps an iPad 2S, and an iPad 3 with the quad resolution and quad-core. The iPad 2S could be the some thing as the iPad 2 but faster CPU and graphics (better camera too perhaps), but not as expensive as the iPad 3.

This could mean, that the iPad 2S could be the same price, and the iPad 3 will actually cost more, (like starting at $599 instead) I'd be happy to pay the extra $100 for the resolution density, Quad Core, and LTE!

(If this is the case, I wished I could have marked my words!)

GnillGnoll

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
I'm surprised no one seems to have picked up on the actual contents of that screenshot yet. Formatting out the SGML tags:
AppleSamsungDPTXControllerS5L8950X
  • IOClass - AppleSamsungDPTXControllerS5L8950X
  • IOProviderClass - AppleARMIODevice
  • IONameMatch - displayport,s5l8950x
  • PixelClockLimit - 155,000,000 (= 0x93d1cc0)
AppleSamsungDPTXControllerS5L8945X
  • IOClass - AppleSamsungDPTXControllerS5L8945X
  • IOProviderClass - AppleARMIODevice
  • IONameMatch - edp,s5l8945x
DPTX probably stands for DisplayPort Transmitter. eDP likely is Embedded DisplayPort, a standard for transmitting video signals to a built-in screen, while DisplayPort is a standard for external video signalling.

A pixel clock of 155 MHz is sufficient for 1920x1080 at 60 Hz, probably even 1920x1200. Unfortunately the screenshot does not have the pixel clock limit for the eDP interface, nor any indication whether there may be additional interfaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.