Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I keep getting an error 1659 in iTunes -- Cannot download updated carrier settings or something.

It failed miserably getting restoring my backup from iCloud.

My weather widget cannot display local weather, says update failed. This was working fine, till I went the United States for a few weeks, where it also worked fine. After coming back to England, the Local Weather stopped working.

Otherwise, it definitely feels snappier.

If someone could help with the Local Weather bug, I would appreciate that greatly.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
The new beta now issues an initial prompt informing users that video content such as movies, TV shows, and music videos have been moved to the "Videos" app.

Nice start there, it was really confusing when you'd download a video from iTunes and then it just disappeared unless you knew you had to open up another app to see it. I still think it's confusing though. It's not obvious which apps you use to browse, purchase, and consume content, and it's not consistent across platforms, either. For example, in OS X iTunes, you can watch videos right in that app. And other oddities like why does iPhoto handle the downloading of videos from your cameras and cell phones, but then isn't really able to do anything with it?

They need to sort this stuff out because it's really confusing for people, if I can barely figure it out (with some research), how the heck is my mom supposed to make sense of it? Figure out which apps handle which media types, make it obvious by naming the apps obviously (or by creating new specific apps if appropriate), and make it consistent across platforms.

BabyGotMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2007
STEVE!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!

I have been asking for this since before iOS4... Please can we have separate signatures for the separate email boxes? It is a royal pain to either have to type out my professional signature block on professional emails or erase it for emails from my personal box.

I have sent this suggestion numerous times through Apple's website and it seems so silly to even be an issue!

I 'fixed' this by using the new text expansion features. SIG1 types 'business', SIG2 types 'personal'.

Silverado

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
I swear I just read in the other forum that custom SMS tones were available. Was that guy just pulling my chain or did you guys just not include it on this list?

Custom SMS tones have been available in iOS 4. Am I missing something? I have different SMS tones assigned to different people in my stock iPhone 4.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
- Speed enhancements: User reports indicate that performance is significantly improved under the new beta, with a considerable reduction in lag.
Speeding up iBook for long documents (3000+ pp) would be greatly welcomed, even at the expense of eye candy (page curl).

mackiemacbook

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Battery life better than B2?

I installed it today. I hope the battery life is improved. On B2 I disabled the location, ping and finder to save battery life.

Now I have to figure out the iCloud versus the MobileMe options. I have spotted an typo in the iCloud ; in dutch it said 5 Mb space to store. A little bit less to make a backup from the iPhone in iCloud ;-)

pgyanke

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
I 'fixed' this by using the new text expansion features. SIG1 types 'business', SIG2 types 'personal'.

I'm in the securities industry... my business signature block is very large with disclaimers, etc. Not sure that would work for me. Besides, I know I couldn't have my company logo show up that way. Thanks for the info, though!

NorfolkMustard

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
UK
iMessage config no longer shows the mobile number in the list of addresses I can be reached on, just email addresses now.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
They fixed one major annoyance with Notification Centre. Previously, in a full-screen game like Cut the Rope where the status bar is hidden, swiping from the top of the screen would pull down Notification Centre immediately. This was really annoying and interrupted the flow of the game. Now, swiping from the top in an application without a status bar will pull down the Notification Centre "handle" without interrupting the game. To pull down the Notification Centre completely, you pull down the handle. Here's a screenshot:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    207.4 KB · Views: 213

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
agree

I've always been annoyed by the music and video apps on my iPad. I can't believe they are now going to stick me with that on my iPhone.

I guess it is a way for them to keep iOS the same between the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. I still don't like it.

I agree. I understand they may think iPod is becoming dated, but maybe just have a "media" app with music and video to limit the number of icons.

Oh and can they please make the "folder" icon less ugly so I can put them on my first page rather than hiding folders (which contain multiple apps) in another page?

Shadylane315

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Can't seem to update from beta 2 to beta 3 on my iPad. It says the software is to old to run on this version of iTunes.

I'm running iTunes 10.5B48 with iPad 2 beta 2

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
Custom SMS tones have been available in iOS 4. Am I missing something? I have different SMS tones assigned to different people in my stock iPhone 4.

Custom as in you-made-them-yourself. Not just selecting from the tones apple offers (standard or purchased).

This has been the #1 request of users of our TEXT-TO-SPEECH ringtone creation apps so I'm excited!

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
will i lose all my apps? and settings. I'm doing it on a friends computer

Yes, you will.

To install the betas you need to restore your iPhone, which wipes everything. Make sure you have your settings and apps backed up to iTunes (i.e.: your own personal iTunes) before you update your iPhone / iPad to beta3.

EDIT: This includes your individual app settings, saved games, etc. You probably really really don't want to lose those!

NorfolkMustard

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
UK
Settings > Location Services

Now has a specific entry for "Find iPhone" but turning it off has no effect. Even when set to off me.com/find still updates, the arrow still goes purple on the iPhone telling you this at least, but the on/off switch is misleading.

OmegaRed1723

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
The Waste
The beta3 still doesn't allow the Newsstand app to be put inside a folder. I have all the default programs I never use in a folder called 'Apple Crap' and Newsstand desperately needs to join that group!

NorfolkMustard

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
UK
The beta3 still doesn't allow the Newsstand app to be put inside a folder. I have all the default programs I never use in a folder called 'Apple Crap' and Newsstand desperately needs to join that group!
If you open it you'll see why. It already is a folder in itself.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Do you really watch videos and listen to music in the same session? I always thought it was weird that they were together on the iPhone in the first place. Usually I open an app for related tasks, and I don't see those two as related. It's would be like grouping the iTunes and App Store apps.

Actually, I wish they would combine both app stores into 1 app. It's how they are in iTunes now. I hate a separate app for everything, and considering the app stores are just streamed to the phone, this should be a simple thing.

Where I'm with you on apps for related tasks, it's too much clutter. A general purpose media app would suit my personal tastes better. It would be more in line all around with how iTunes is on a desk top.

Just my 2 cents. I guess you can tailor everything for everyone, but either way works just as well.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006

I wish they would just let you delete ANY app you want and call it a day. At least things like compass, stocks, etc. that some of us will NEVER use.

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
There's now an animation between he Apple logo and the Home Screen upon booting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.