Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
If carrier approval is October 5th, I'd expect the timeline to look like this:

September 27/28: Media invites sent
October 5: Apple presser for iOS5 ("Available Today") and iPhone 5 (Reservations accepted today, available 10/14).
October 14: iPhone 5 released.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Now, as long as the hardware doesn't disappoint, it will be a perfect upgrade.
Here's rooting for a bigger screen and rounded back, please no glass...

Please don't say that. Apple usually doesn't make the same mistake twice, so I sincerely hope they don't return to the ergonomic disaster of a curved back a la 3G/3GS!

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
If carrier approval is October 5th, I'd expect the timeline to look like this:

September 27/28: Media invites sent
October 5: Apple presser for iOS5 ("Available Today") and iPhone 5 (Reservations accepted today, available 10/14).
October 14: iPhone 5 released.

I disagree.

The GM will almost certainly contain features present for the iPhone 5 that have yet to be announced. As such I would expect the Media Event to be the SAME DAY as the GM is released e.g. Sept 23rd (assuming the rumor is correct).

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I want launch day the week of Oct 3-7 or Oct 17-21 I'm going to key West Oct 8-15 I do not want to buy my 2nd iPhone at an AT&T store like I did with my 3GS 2 years ago. I want to stand in line at the Fifth Ave store in NYC for launch day my first Apple launch day purchase!!

iJcaP

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
THat means that invites will be sent tomorrow??

Usually Apple sends out the invitations a week before an event. According to all this information, the invites go out tomorrow for an event next week.... Or invites go out next Wednesday for an event two weeks from tomorrow

Duzer

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2010

This is probably the most likely of release dates i've found
Screen%20Shot%202011-09-06%20at%203.30.39%20PM.png

and like in past releases the iOS has been released before the new upgraded phone, so sometime between 21 of sept and oct 7 would be my guess

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Yeah ... Although it is kinda amazing in retrospect that no other to-do apps had that location-based reminder feature.

It'd be a horrendous battery drain though. From what I've read, the way the Reminders app works is by detecting when you switch to a different cell tower (which it knows anyway), and presumably polling your location from there, either via GPS or perhaps an Apple database of cell tower locations to speed up the process and save battery life (just speculating on the last part). I'd test it and find out but Apple took location-based reminders out of iOS 5b7. Perhaps someone here who's tested and older version can enlighten us?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
It'd be a horrendous battery drain though. From what I've read, the way the Reminders app works is by detecting when you switch to a different cell tower (which it knows anyway), and presumably polling your location from there, either via GPS or perhaps an Apple database of cell tower locations to speed up the process and save battery life (just speculating on the last part). I'd test it and find out but Apple took location-based reminders out of iOS 5b7. Perhaps someone here who's tested and older version can enlighten us?
Actually, it will probably use the Location Services API and not rely on the presence of cell towers or GPS.

That way, the Reminders app will work on WiFi only iPod touches and iPads.

Krayzie116

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
quick question about the GM. Do you have to have a dev. account to install this? I already have the beta just wondering if you need one to get the GM if it was provided on the net some where.

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
The anticipation is amazing. As usual. If the iPhone 5 doesn't have at least 64 GB of storage (not even going to talk about SD storage expansion as that would be ridiculous to expect), then I'll look forward to retiring my iPhone 3Gs and grabbing an iPod touch.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So you think we can expect the event to be 20th of sep type date then? Which means iOS 5 out around then?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
This is probably the most likely of release dates i've found

and like in past releases the iOS has been released before the new upgraded phone, so sometime between 21 of sept and oct 7 would be my guess
Nah, Apple typically has their major live events on a Tuesday, so weekly periodicals can make their deadlines. This is the same reason Apple's financial earnings conference calls are on Tuesdays. Once in a blue moon, Apple will have a major announcement that doesn't fall on a Tuesday, but no one really expects it.

somewhere around Tue 20 Sep - media invitations e-mailed
Tue 27 Sep - live announcement, 10am PDT, probably at the Town Hall facility on Apple's campus
Fri 14 Oct - iPhone 5 ships/available in stores

If Apple does presales, I would expect something like that to debut a week before the iPhone ships. The iOS release and iCloud rollout would also occur after the announcement but before the hardware release.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Ugh, not another beta! That means the iPhone 5 event won't be next week now? :( Seems kind of odd to have the Beta 8 out for only one week before the supposed date of the GM seed.

Well, the question might be whether or not iOS 5 is needed for the next iPhone to be released.

Colonel Badger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
Nah, Apple typically has their major live events on a Tuesday, so weekly periodicals can make their deadlines. This is the same reason Apple's financial earnings conference calls are on Tuesdays. Once in a blue moon, Apple will have a major announcement that doesn't fall on a Tuesday, but no one really expects it.

somewhere around Tue 20 Sep - media invitations e-mailed
Tue 27 Sep - live announcement, 10am PDT, probably at the Town Hall facility on Apple's campus
Fri 14 Oct - iPhone 5 ships/available in stores

If Apple does presales, I would expect something like that to debut a week before the iPhone ships. The iOS release and iCloud rollout would also occur after the announcement but before the hardware release.

You're missing one thing. The GM CAN'T come out BEFORE the Media event, because it will contain features for the new iPhone 5. So either the Media event is BEFORE the GM or on the same day!

pacmacman

Suspended
Jan 6, 2010
The fact that no event invites have been sent out to the media as of yet, makes this whole thing seem so distant, despite all the rumored dates of iOS/iPhone releases.

Invites to the media can be sent out at a moment's notice. They need to get the phone out there in October to get a head start on the Holiday shopping season.

alexexexex

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah ... Although it is kinda amazing in retrospect that no other to-do apps had that location-based reminder feature.

although the fact that it syncs them means that can be very annoying.

Example, you're out and about and think of something you have to do when you get home, you enter it into your iphone with a "when i get home" reminder.

Your ipad is at home, the to-do syncs and instantly pops up on the ipad.

When you get home you get no reminder.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
10th year anniversary of iPod

I'm telling you they are pushing this stuff to October to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the single most important and defining product of Apple since Jobs returned. The iPod, which came out 10/23/01

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Based on past events, I would anticipate invites today or tomorrow, the event on Sept. 20, iOS 5 public release on Sept. 23 and availability of iPhone 5 on Oct. 14.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.