iOS 5: I am really excited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by petvas, Jun 6, 2011.

1. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I don't know about you, but after today's announcements, I am really excited about iOS 5. It brings everything I wanted too and more. I love the new notifications, the Mail.app, the WiFi sync, the new lock screen, everything!
    The Cloud integration is also great and makes the iPad and the iPhone even better. Especially the documents sync.

2. aohus macrumors 68000

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It's a good step in the right direction, I am happy with the improvements but I was hoping for more voice integration and a better maps option.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The notifications are definitely great. And wireless sync, totally unexpected. Can't wait for this fall!

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

200 new features in iOS, 1,500 new API's, Free Mobile Me with up-to 5GB of back-up storage for your iOS devices, but no, you didn't get what you wanted so this whole thing is a fail.

OP, Yes I am excited.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm very excited as well. And that's after only seeing 10 features. I'd be happy enough with just those and it seems there will be more to come!

7. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I'm dissappointed!

All these features are that small that they should go under iOS 4.5...

Seriously... iOS 5, and still the same ol' thing? With a few new features here and there?

Nah.. I think I will change to Windows Phone 7 when Mango arrives... iOS 5 seems old and boring to me, and I had really hoped that they would pull something great out of their hats.. But no... :mad:

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Ditto. Now I can kiss goodbye that POS WiFi Sync JB app for good. YAY! Notifications are what I'm interested the most in :)

9. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

Im super excited too!! Any developers in here that don't mind adding my IMEI to their device list? I would greatly appreciate it. PM me! thanks:eek:

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Thats the only gripe I have.

11. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

Only thing missing was the Maps upgrade. But I would consider that far below the other ten announcements so it may still be there and just wasn't featured. May still be a work in progress. Fall is going to take forever to get here.

It is interesting that none of the Siri/Dragon/voice integration appears to be there. I guess that's all for iOS 6. Along with LTE and NFC.

iOS 5 feels like they're playing catch-up with everybody else, but at least all these features we've been waiting on forever are finally coming soon.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is what Apple users consider great. So you SHOULD leave and don't be tempted to come back next year because it'll just be more of the same in the future.

Honestly you should have left 3 months ago. Everything today pretty much matched the best rumors and guesses out there so you really shouldn't be surprised.

13. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

Does anyone have a complete rundown? A complete list of changes, add ons, and what is gone maybe?

14. shandyman Suspended

i was looking into the dev program, but looks like i need a mac to use the beta software! that sucks!!

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Speaking of a good Navigation app...

Can anyone recommend one that's relatively affordable from the App store?

16. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I'm definitely excited for this update. Allot of the features that made me JB in the first place are finally being implemented, with the exception of widgets, but I could live without those.

The OTA syncing takes the cake for me.

17. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

I'm excited as well...but we have to wait and Summer just started.. :(

18. petvas thread starter macrumors 601

petvas

Don't forget that today we only saw ten of the features of iOS 5.

iOS 5 will definitely change the way we use our iDevices. It is also a big thing for all apps that need some kind of sync. They will be able to plugin to the iCloud architecture and sync files, settings and whatever they want. Users won't have to pay anything and they are getting free email, calendar, documents sync photo streaming, and iTunes on the cloud. I am mentioning iCloud because it is for me a major iOS 5 feature, because of the tight integration.
    I won't have to worry copying my files from my iPad to my Mac, or to any other device I have. This is major and I think most people haven't realized it yet. Apple is gaining a huge competitive advantage over all other platforms. They created an ecosystem that is impossible to beat. Of course it has to work much better than MobileMe!
    The new lock screen will also be very helpful and the quick access to the camera was also needed. The new messaging service looks cool and it can totally replace SMSs, at least for all iOS users.
    Safari and Mail get also much needed features. Flagging emails! I have been wanting this since day one. Tabbed browsing will be great on the iPad. Don't forget the new reading list feature and the twitter integration. I am in love!

19. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I may have missed it, but did they say whether iOS 5 would include QUICK REPLY for text messages? The notifications are great and a sure step in the right direction, but if there's still no quick reply, then I'll just stay where I am...jailbroken on iOS 4.

20. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Well, I call myself an Apple user after having spend over $12,000 USD on Apple hardware (iPhones, iPads, Macbook Pro, iMac, accessories and more), but I had really thought they would revamp the UI, that today feels old and outdated.

Those are great new features, but not as big as it shouldn't be in a 4.5 update.

21. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

See Ya! have fun! Don't forget to write....

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've made several posts about this recently. They basically boil down to this:

The Mac UI has slowely evolved for the last 27 years without a major revamp. Many changes, yes, but the same basic paradigm after all this time. (In fact, I'd say that Lion is the biggest change it's gotten yet...perhaps the first real overhaul in the Mac's history!)

So if it took the Mac 27 years to get a major overhaul I think that it's not likely to happen in the iPhone's 5th year.

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

If you want a new operating system why haven't you already switched?

This is something that I still don't understand. Every year we get the same gripes about iOS not getting a complete overhaul. It works great the way it is. It's always going to be the same icon based UI with new features added each year. If it bothers you so much go play around with the other operating systems and discover why Apple chooses not to change it.

This isn't specifically directed at you, jafingi, but the points still apply. The only thing iOS is missing that I jailbreak for now is quick access to settings (SBSettings) and I'm pretty sure I can live without that. Lockinfo was my #1 reason for jailbreaking and that's been resolved.

24. brvheart macrumors 6502

Who needs navigation native when you have navigon or tom tom? It would have been a nice to have, but with the 10 they showed today - I cant wait to get it downloaded tonight and on the device.

25. samcraig macrumors P6

some nice new features.

Clearly Apple is looking at what is most popular amongst the jailbreaking community and what Apps sell the best to determine their next additions.

The lock screen = jailbreak feature
    iMessenger = WhatsApp (but actually less feature rich)
    iCloud = Apple's walled garden of DropBox
    Reminders = Honey Do + location services
    Read It Later = Instapaper
    Volume Button as camera button = Camera+ before they were booted

That being said - it's a step in the right direction with a few of the features. It's hard to believe it took until 5.0 to get crop and some other basic photo tools.

Having the iPad (and other iDevices) not require a tether anymore is great

Native twitter integration is also great