iOS 5 Notifications MUST HAVE..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acoustic-, Jun 9, 2011.

1. acoustic- macrumors member

Dear Apple-

If you do not implement the functionality of a "quick reply" type option for messaging and e-mail on the lock screen within Notifications, I will cry like a little girl.

Having the notifications show, but no quick reply option, is not the best use of the amazing potential and capability of our phones. I personally do not want to leave the app I'm in or leave the lock screen to respond to one quick text or e-mail. This is one of the absolute best features of LockInfo, which has obviously influenced some of this, so don't cut yourselves short.

This is obviously possible and is not asking too much. Do yourself a favor and make everyone love you, or I'm going to make the sister I don't have break up with you.

Much love. Still coming over for dinner?
    Mike

2. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I agree with everything here except the lock screen. I love the Quick Reply feature of biteSMS because it lets me respond to a text without interrupting what I'm doing in a different app.

However... on the lock screen... why would you want to respond there? In that case, what's the point of even having a lock screen, if your phone isn't really "locked" from doing stuff??

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't it switch to the other app in about 1/4 of a second?

How much "quicker" does it need to be?

4. bmms8 macrumors 68020

youre right, but QR saves time, whether it be a second, or a fourth. i guess until you use it it doesnt really make sense. but with all these UI enhancements, i think companies and consumers are both counting seconds as minutes.

5. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Okay, so what is Quick Reply? Is it an automated response that you pre-make? How fast can Quick Reply be? Genuine questions.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I don't think quickness is as much of an issue as having to leave the app you're currently in to send the reply, especially if that app hasn't been coded to maintain it's state or work in the background. For example, I do a lot of streaming from a radio show app that doesn't play in the background so if a message comes in, without the quick reply option I use in BiteSMS, I'd have to leave the app and restart it...pain in the butt.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But what are you typing on? If this 'quick reply' brings up a window to type in and (as you say) the app isn't coded to save its state, wouldn't that still be "leaving the app?"

So I'd think the result would be exactly the same when you returned whether it was from the SMS app or from this 'quick reply.'

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You should submit an enhancement request to Apple via the Bug Reporter tool.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

A must have feature, IMO. As it currently exists, text message pops up on screen, touch quick reply button to immediately open a text box within the notification, compose message and touch send button, all without leaving whatever app you're in, lock screen, or home screen.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Apple has a history of leaving out the most obvious small details which can drive anyone mad.... But thats what Jailbreaking is for :D

11. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Nope, essentially you never leave the notification pop-up, doesn't interrupt the app.

12. Che Castro macrumors 603

small white car stop arguing against Quick reply :(

is not the same, go try Bitesms

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

quick reply means if you hit reply on the notification it opens a smaller box with a keyboard to type your reply, the when you hit send your right back in the game, webpage, or where ever you were before you got the notification insteedt of hitting reply that opens sms app then you would either use the switcher to go back to where you were

14. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

You must have never used/seen biteSMS...

Here, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf6FdXCgu7A&t=135

Notice how he replied to the text message without ever leaving the app he was in. No need to "switch" apps, which I find terribly annoying.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm not "arguing against it."

I'm saying I "don't see the advantage." If there is one I have no problem with it. It just seems to be the same thing to me.

16. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

it shows an overlay, never 'closes' / 'freezes' the app, i think

i mean, which apps don't have fast app switching?
    to me, it's kind of a non-issue, really :/

17. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Personally, not having to leave your app to reply is why I love it.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And while he did that he lost the game behind his text box!

Sorry, I really don't see how that's better than freezing the app. :confused:

People WANT to lose their games when they get a text message? At first I said it sounded 'the same' but I take it back...this actually seems worse.

19. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

e_e

It's pretty obvious that if Apple were to implement this, they would make it so that the app/process that's going on in the background would freeze.

It's because, well if someone texts you "hi", and you text "hi" back, well....its kind of time wasting going all the way to the text app just to type in 2 letters.

20. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Well clearly that was only an example. This applies for any app, no matter what you're doing... reading a website, writing an e-mail, whatever you are doing. Some games don't save state, you know... like Yahtzee Adventures for example. Every time you switch apps, and go back to Yahtzee, it starts you over at the main menu. It saves your game, but you still have to go through the splash screen, the "Enable SFX?" prompt, then start your game, then reply "Yes" to resuming your last game. What a pain. In this case, biteSMS Quick Reply is clearly helpful.

And if you are playing a game that's active and you'll miss something by replying, you can just simply dismiss the text message immediately, not that big of a deal.

There is more pro than con to Quick Reply, and it boggles my mind how you can be so against it. You seem like one of those people who just like to argue against anything "new" because you don't like change. :confused:

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I can see why I'd want that.

It would be nice to be able to reply to a text w/out going out of the app. It is slightly quicker, I don't have to mess around with the home button, and I don't have to go back to the app I was working on.

It may only be slightly quicker (I'd honestly say it's more than slightly quicker cause it's not just how fast the app loads but how fast for you to fumble around to switch programs) but it's less hassle too.

22. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

no offense, but 'all the way' is a really weird way of saying 'that one second transition'

well, blame the yahtzee devs then, imho
    Savestates are as good as it gets, as far as Apple is concerned.

i do suppose having the SMS framework constantly ready to be instantly opened does drain some extra resources though ... all of that because there's devs to lazy to put the Multitasking APIs into their apps?

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I find quick replay to have advatages over opening the App. It is exactly what more something that you can replay with that does not need any of the message conservation. I find it better for SMS than email as normally emails are longer and you tend to of needed a longer message than what can pop up in that little notificaitons.

I know I do quick replay all the time off of my Go SMS Pro for android.

24. Che Castro macrumors 603

The same people who dont want quickreply are the same ones who dont see the benefit of sbsettings

25. Reach9, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Now people want quick reply on homescreen and lockscreen, some might barely use the Messages app again. I think i saw someone say this somewhere "I shouldn't have to unlock my phone to reply to a text", i bet we'll be seeing "i shouldn't have to unlock my phone to make a new event, or to check my mail, etc."
    They want complete widgets on their lockscreen so that they barely open the Facebook, Twitter, Weather etc. apps again. So what's the point of the apps? It's sounding like an Android now.
    Plus it's not like you're switching apps on an iPhone 3G, they all look mighty fast to me.
    This new notification system is nearly perfect. I just want a sign on the status bar like an exclamation mark "!" to tell me that i have notifications, but that's it.

Do I want quick reply? It is a nice feature, good to have. But i can live without it, just by app switching thanks to the new notification system.

I love SBSettings though! Hopefully we'll see that soon, but it's not a must have feature if the speed of the phone is fast.