iOS 5 to Finally Deliver Over-The-Air Updates?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

According to 9to5Mac, Apple is negotiating with Verizon about delivering over-the-air iOS updates starting with iOS 5. Multiple sources say the new feature will debut in iOS 5, meaning iOS 5 will not come over-the-air but following point updates to it will. Just like tethering in iOS 3, Apple has the technology but cannot just unleash it everywhere. Apple and Verizon Wireless are said to have been in talks over these wireless software updates since early this year.An over-the-air update system would allow users to download the iOS update directly to their phone over 3G or Wi-Fi and update their phone to the latest version without connecting to iTunes. Android devices already offer this feature.

Due to the high bandwidth requirement, it seems Apple needs to negotiate deals with individual carriers to allow such a system to take place. We should note that Apple's iOS is partially capable of this functionality already. The Apple TV which is based on iOS 4 offers "over the air" updates with no iTunes syncing required. The Apple TV, however, stores little customer data so backups are not as critical as with iPhone and iPad devices.

Article Link: iOS 5 to Finally Deliver Over-The-Air Updates?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Wouldn't be a bad idea. Even if they just made "patches" so we aren't downloading half a gb of updates every 2 weeks.

LillieDesigns

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Los Angeles
I drop calls like mad with AT&T. Wonder if it's about time to head over to Verizon, especially if it starts beating AT&T to the punch with features like these.

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
If a >=20MB app install needs to be done through WiFi, why a 500-6XXMB system update can be done through 3G?

I don't think so. Most likely it will be WiFi-only.

sciwizam

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Blow through your data cap with 650MB downloads for every point update? Not happening until Apple can deliver smaller downloads for updates.

eoin3-

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

It couldn't be automatic because you would have to agree to the new T.O.S.

ipedro

macrumors 601
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This almost requires that iCloud be a free service for iOS users. A back up is prudent for any OS upgrade so having all or nearly all of your phone's personal data backed up or exclusively stored in the cloud would be a system that would allow iOS devices not have to rely on an iTunes direct link.

eoin3-

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Consultant said:
I drop calls like mad with AT&T. Wonder if it's about time to head over to Verizon, especially if it starts beating AT&T to the punch with features like these.
It'll be over wifi. :rolleyes:
Why would they be negotiating with the big "V" if it were only wifi.

constantsnags!

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
It's ridiculous that iOS hasn't already had this enabled - having to crawl back to my Mac to update my phone or iPad is just a total pain....oh, and let's have some wireless sync while we're at it. Get rid of that horrendously ugly, easily broken and filled with fluff connector once and for all. It's just nasty and Mr Ive and his people must hate having to include it.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
I hope they provide some opportunity of preventing 3g based updating. As not everyone in the world will be using their iPhones through the 'approved' provider. I know I dont, and a normaly Apple 700meg update will absolutely slaughter my bill (70$ worth of data charges)

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
That will do wonders for my battery life.

But, the further I can get away from physically connecting to a computer for syncing and backing up, the happier I will be. Steps in the right direction.

May 8, 2008
A welcome feature. What about AT&T?
The article seems to imply that perhaps ATT has already agreed, hence why Apple is negotiating with Verizon at this point.

I'm not certain though as the article fails to mention ATTs role, if any, at all.