iOS 5 - What's Missing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple..., Jun 11, 2011.

1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I know most, but not all are happy with iOS 5. So, what's missing? What do you want in iOS 6? I want improved maps and live icons. :)

P.S. If you don't like this thread, don't post in it. Thanks. ;)

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Here is the list of things I would like to see in the next iteration of iOS:
    • Expose view on the iPad
    • Real multitasking
    • The ability to create subfolders
    • Multiple signatures in mail.app
    • Richt Text editor in Mail.app (with the ability to change the color of text - iOS 5 has some basic stuff there)
    • Apps should start in windows on the iPad. No more full screen only.

3. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

I would've really loved to see widgets, something like SBSettings, live wallpapers, or even a revamped home screen UI because it seems old and boring. I think there still is a chance we can see different widgets in the notification center because a jailbreaker made a widget using Apple's API's.

4. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

The simplest things:

• Status bar icons for notifications
    • Hide unwanted app icons (Newsstand, Stocks, etc)
    And my most-missed thing from Android:

• Turn-by-turn navigation (Google Maps)

5. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Sub-folders? :confused: Agree with improved multi-tasking though.

6. celticpride678

I'd like to see:

1. Switches on the home screen/Notification Center to turn on/off Wi-Fi, etc.
    2. A redesigned way to see all the apps you have installed (instead of just icons)
    3. More widget options in Notification Center

I have a feeling iOS 6 will just build on everything iOS 5 started.

7. ben173 macrumors regular

8. Apple..., Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

SBSettings in Notification Center? I see no point in live wallpapers (although they are very cool :)).

9. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, but the folders should pop up. If they still open like they do now, then subfolders wouldn't work good. There should be the ability to easily access the subfolders (like in a tree view).

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Come to think about it, there's nothing major that I can think of.

11. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

What happened to wikoogle's giant wish list?

Edit: Forgot he got banned.

12. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Love the easy access to WiFi, BlueTooth, Power, etc. you get with sbs settings.

Themes and the ability to place/move icons where ever I want.

I also like the idea of windows on the iPad. I hate that everything maximizes.

13. mms13 macrumors 6502

Well, 2/3 of yours already exist in iOS 5...
    For #2, if you go to Settings>General>Usage, it displays a list of all your apps sorted by how much memory they occupy.
    For #3, 3rd party developers now have all the power to create a custom widget for their app. When iOS 5 comes out, expect many apps to already have an update that will enable a widget (I'm especially excited for an ESPN score ticker)

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You're the one who doesn't want people, who have opposing thoughts, to post. What do you expect? Also, ios 5 hasn't officially come out yet. Can't you wait until then?
    Besides, why should I care about live icons?

15. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Fully customizable text tones (similar to what can be done with ringtones).
    Simple printing.
    A more robust text editor.

16. Branfarm macrumors newbie

I think the Exchange integration took a big step forward, but it needs at least one more big step -- ability for flagged messages to show up as either tasks or reminders in the Reminders app.

17. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

I was really hoping to see a Swype-styled keyboard option.

18. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

There are a lot of things that Apple has to do to make the Exchange integration even better:
    • Support for all Exchange policies
    • Support for categories
    • Support for AD RMS enabled emails

I do not have high hopes that Apple will implement them, but who knows, maybe someday.

19. Branfarm macrumors newbie

I've never used a Blackberry, so I can't speak to the integration, but since it's been the defacto business device for years it must have the Exchange integration pretty well covered. I would think that Apple wants to continue to build it's presence in the business market, and the items you listed are practically prereq's for large scale deployments. You'd think that would be enough motivation for them.

20. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I don't think the OP said that people with different opinions should not post, I think he wanted to avoid a bunch of "this thread is stupid" kind of posts or the more milder kind like "ios 5 hasn't officially come out yet. Can't you wait until then?"

BTW, live wallpapers get old in 30 seconds or less but I'd like the idea of an improved lockscreen though IOS5 is an improvement.

21. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Several have already said it, but Google navigation...

I would love a little better mail options.

22. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Although, imo there is quite a lot missing, most of it is available from Cydia so it doesn't bother me too much, nonetheless it would be nice if Apple implemented them as they're likely to work better with the OS and all being designed by Apple themeself.

In truth there was really only 1 minor thing I wanted from iOS 5 and that was a queueing system for the iPod/Music app to allow you to queue up songs but no such luck (I didn't expect it anyway tbf, seeing as iTunes doesn't have it either :/) but still, I'm pretty impressed with iOS 5 and pleased with it's progress ;)

23. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

- SB settings style widget... whether they integrate into notifications center or have it drop down with a swipe I dont care just get it in there especially:

brightness
    bluetooth
    wi-fi
    remove all background apps
    airplane mode

- Quick reply and quick compose bite sms style

- And would it kill them to spruce up the interface a little, doesnt have to be anything major but looking at the same exact springboard since the original iphone is getting a little boring.

Thats all I could think of.. I'm easy to please :)

24. RebelScum macrumors 6502

Some of these are dupes, but:

•*Lockscreen/quicklaunch buttons to turn on WiFi, Personal Hotspot, and Bluetooth
    •*Deep Facebook integration
    •*The ability to add attachments to an email from Mail.app (I'm sick of getting halfway through an email before I remember that if I want to attach a photo, I have to do so FROM EFFIN' PHOTOS)
    • The ability to share iCloud stored content (similar to DropBox)
    •*Turn-by-turn and 3D view in Google Maps
    • Custom app widgets

That would help :)

Oh...and make iMessage cross-platform. That would be HUGE.

25. jmack549 macrumors 6502

I know it's been said, but windows would be awesome. I write a lot of emails where I'm referencing things, and being able to just tap a window to get back to it would be so much nicer than pulling up the multitasking bar and clicking Safari or whatever I'm pulling from.

Especially if the windows could be arranged and moved. :drools: