Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acidblue

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Roswell, GA (unfortunately)
Good.

I've found that the YouTube app is just irritating. It just hijacks the darned browser and takes you to a very dumb player. It's better to stay on the site you are visiting and just fullscreen the video anyway. If you want to browse YouTube, then do so by going to the site. Google should just make their own application if they want it on any device. Apple doesn't need to supply Vimeo, Justin.tv etc.. All-in-all it is better off gone.

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Why should Apple keep maintaining an application google is bound to release on their own and make better in the process?

You have to remember that when the youtube app launched on the original iphone, there was no appstore and mobile links were basically non-existent. It was that or no youtube. Apple no longer needs to do that kind of legwork or leverage those partnerships for their device to be a success.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I never thought the youtube app was all that great. And originally it was there because youtube videos were in flash, right? Now - what's the point. You can access youtube on safari and watch pretty much any video...

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
To be honest, Apple shouldn't be doing this. Its fine if they remove a Google app from their OS, but they should at least replace it with an equivalent application.
If they don't, it benefits no one.

YouTube videos will still play just fine, and maybe even better now that it just goes to m.youtube.com.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
HTML version better

When I click a YouTube url, it goes to Safari, and it plays fine, with little or no delay. I frankly rarely use the app, and I doubt if Google will be updating it any time soon. Does iOS 6 allow you to have something opened by an app or on the web? I'm presuming the present inability to launch from e-mail, say, to an app, was a security precaution, like sandboxing. But maybe people could enlighten me.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Good if you ask me, so long as Google release their own (and much improved) app.

Just hope they allow us to delete Newstand/stick it in a folder now...

You can stick it in a folder. A quick Google search should show how to do it. Just gotta be quick to do it.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Well, it makes no sense to include an app that gets updated often. I'm in favor of keeping the iOS image compact and junk free. All the extras we can download for free from the AppStore or iCloud anyway.

Jamieserg

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
I always prefer the interface in safari on the iPad anyway. The app lacked features. At least when i click a youtube link now it won't open the app. Apple have been using vimeo for all their marketing material for the iPad and iOS 6. So it's not really surprising.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Short-term: People scream about this and claim Apple sucks blah blah blah
Long-term: Google releases their own native Youtube app that kicks the **** out of the old one

Now if they removed Youtube from the AppleTV on the other hand.....

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I think it's something to do with the inevitable addition of ads on mobile devices.

Maybe Apple didn't want ads in 'their' app?

Anyway, the website is better so no big deal

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Eh...

Our kids are the big users of the YouTube app, honestly. They've got a bunch of their little cartoons and "how to" videos bookmarked in it as favorites and so on.

But even they've complained that the app is flaky. On my Sprint iPhone 4s, for example, my kid often has to power the phone completely off and back on again before the YouTube app will stream any videos when we get to my mom's house and it connects via her wi-fi. It's weird because everything else that uses the wi-fi on the phone seems to be fine when this happens, so I can't really blame anything other than the YouTube app.

I won't mourn its loss if Apple deletes it. But I agree that A) Google would be wise to release an enhanced, new YouTube player app in the App Store as a free download for people who still want it, and B) it might be nice for Apple to at least provide a shortcut icon that launches the m.youtube.com site in Safari on iOS devices.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
This actually makes perfect sense. Why should Apple be the one spending their resources on a Youtube app? If Google wants a Youtube app they should make one themselves.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
"Thermonuclear War"

Youtube has been a poor performer on all my Apple devices and in Safari. It is slow and a bit unstable. The conspiracy theorist in me says that Google has code in there to throttle the site if you are not on Android/Chrome.

We've come a long way from the days when Google was re-encoding all the Flash video to H.264 to support Apple...

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Hopefully Google will release a YouTube app for iOS now. The stock one on my iPhone and iPad kinda sucks.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
as an android user if google provides you with a youtube app anywhere close to that of the ICS youtube app, you'll be very happy with this move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.