Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I avoid the youtube app like the plague. I prefer HTML5 through the safari browser.

and stuff like that speaks volumes as the problem with the You tube app was on Apple's end not Google.

Apple sucks at making anything that that ties into anything but their own products.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Almost as though they've read the backlash from what was a disapointing update of iOS and now trying to make amends which is more than appropriate. This has been one my main gripes for awhile together with mission control missing but this makes ios 6 all that more exciting.

Just the loading times bewteen slides is excruciating nothing to do with actual hardware capabilities

Last edited:

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
I dont use it the Youtube app very much, but I know a lot of people that do and this will be a big loss for them.

The DRis

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA
At first I was like "WTF?!", and then I thought about it, read some responses, and I'm over it. Embedded viewer is better, and I do hate being taken out of whichever app I was in just to watch a video.

However, without the app you won't have the comments list and related videos.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Our kids are the big users of the YouTube app, honestly. They've got a bunch of their little cartoons and "how to" videos bookmarked in it as favorites and so on.

But even they've complained that the app is flaky. On my Sprint iPhone 4s, for example, my kid often has to power the phone completely off and back on again before the YouTube app will stream any videos when we get to my mom's house and it connects via her wi-fi. It's weird because everything else that uses the wi-fi on the phone seems to be fine when this happens, so I can't really blame anything other than the YouTube app.

I won't mourn its loss if Apple deletes it. But I agree that A) Google would be wise to release an enhanced, new YouTube player app in the App Store as a free download for people who still want it, and B) it might be nice for Apple to at least provide a shortcut icon that launches the m.youtube.com site in Safari on iOS devices.

I've frequently had issues streaming on my home wifi network where my wife's android phone has no problem. I won't be sad to see it go.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Well the Youtube App sucked to begin with, but I was always hoping they would fix that. Turns out they didn't or maybe they will bring it back in the next seed only 10 times better.

*sign* one can only hope :(

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
That's fine and dandy, because I use the web app as it's more powerful and easier to search and navigate. However, if Apple doesn't allow Google to provide iOS users their own YouTube and Maps app, I'm definitely going to switch camps. I'm getting sick and tired of Apple trying to box me into their ecosystem.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
This benefits no one.

I disagree.

There will now be more competition in iOS video streaming apps, forcing Google to make YouTube for iOS better. Notice how they didn't feel the need to update their app recently. Now they probably will.

It's just like Google Maps for iOS. Now Google is forced to update it to compete with Apple's Maps and other competing map apps. They used to only give new features to Android but now if they ignore iOS they will simply lose revenue because of people using other apps.

Competition is a good thing for consumers, Google is the only one losing here, unless you consider installing an app manually a difficult process.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I'm glad to see this happening - there's no need to force people to have apps on their homescreens that they might not use.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I disagree.

There will now be more competition in iOS video streaming apps, forcing Google to make YouTube for iOS better. Notice how they didn't feel the need to update their app recently. Now they probably will.

It's just like Google Maps for iOS. Now Google is forced to update it to compete with Apple's Maps and other competing map apps. They used to only give new features to Android but now if they ignore iOS they will simply lose revenue because of people using other apps.

Competition is a good thing for consumers, Google is the only one losing here.

You're sadly mistaken. Those apps are for iOS and Apple doesn't allow Google to update the apps with new features. Google's very own Maps and Youtube apps on their Android is MUCH better. Google is nothing like Apple for holding back features for users, it much rather you have the full experience, but Apple doesn't allow it. This is an Apple issue, not a Google issue.

Avenged110

macrumors 6502a
Well looks like that's it for on YouTube on iOS for me... I hate the mobile site because above all else I have to watch goddamn ads before everything. I loathe ads. Thats why I loved the native app so much. Looks like its desktop Safari with Adblock from now on :/

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
A silly commentary, to be sure, but I always hated the iPhone's youtube app icon. So.very.ugly.

As for the app itself, I've often been frustrated that the app would sometimes not let you play a youtube video even though it appeared when you ran a search.

Finally, quite surprised Apple would give a nod to Google possibly building an app for this. I thought Apple was trying to rid itself of Google whenever possible.

effla

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
I'm glad google will do the Youtube App cause the stock Apple one was, in my opinion, bad :eek:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
You're sadly mistaken. Those apps are for iOS and Apple doesn't allow Google to update the apps with new features. Google's very own Maps and Youtube apps on their Android is MUCH better. Google is nothing like Apple for holding back features for users, it much rather you have the full experience, but Apple doesn't allow it. This is an Apple issue, not a Google issue.

You're telling me that Google would have updated their YouTube and Maps apps for iOS, but that Apple were preventing them?

Why would they do that?

I was more under the impression that Google only updated their Android apps to give Android an edge over iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.