Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
Can someone confirm the loss of the 'Wi-Fi Plus Cellular" feature under General>Cellular?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Can someone confirm the loss of the 'Wi-Fi Plus Cellular" feature under General>Cellular?

There is no "Cellular". It has been changed to "Mobile Data" and there are no options for Wi-Fi + Cellular.

There is only "Mobile Data", "Enable 3G", "Data Roaming", "Mobile Data Network" (which is just the carrier settings) and "Use Mobile Data for: iCloud Documents, iTunes, FaceTime, PassBook Updates and Reading List."

Sorry.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
There is no "Cellular". It has been changed to "Mobile Data" and there are no options for Wi-Fi + Cellular.

There is only "Mobile Data", "Enable 3G", "Data Roaming", "Mobile Data Network" (which is just the carrier settings) and "Use Mobile Data for: iCloud Documents, iTunes, FaceTime, PassBook Updates and Reading List."

Sorry.

The whole Cellular/Mobile data thing is regional. Mine used to say Cellular until I changed my region and language settings to British English and United Kingdom, now it says mobile.
It's cellular in the US and other places that call it a cell not a mobile...

Yes, as krspkbl said, it's gone! No idea why. They maybe had some complaints, of data usage being used up too quickly as it doesn't alert you when it uses cellular/mobile data, it just does it and you're unaware.

aarmstrong27

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
This is what I keep sayin'. Restoring your device as new totally helps! Going the OTA way or Option(Shift)+Upgrade is not the way to go at all. Restoring my device as new has made my battery life AMAZING!

Thanks. It might have worked itself out, however, I had been getting pretty terrible battery life across all betas (I assume because I always updated and didn't restore) so I wanted to start fresh.

These last few days, my more than 2yr old i4 has been operating like a brand new phone!!!

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
This is what I keep sayin'. Restoring your device as new totally helps! Going the OTA way or Option(Shift)+Upgrade is not the way to go at all. Restoring my device as new has made my battery life AMAZING!

But then you would have to put all your data on again.

What's the difference between restore and Option + Upgrade?

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
My other must be "Documents and App Data".
I did and update other data was 3.2GB
a fresh install other data dropped to 0.48GB
a fresh install+ restoring from iCloud backup other data went back to 3.2GB
a fresh install+ only downloading apps from app store not previously saved app data and Other dropped to 0.65GB.

And when I compare my "Other" capacity shown from iTunes to what my iCloud backup is, they are almost identical, off about 200 or so MBs.
My phone shows 3.3GB backup
My Other shows 3.1GB
I only have 2.5GB of Free space on the phone and none of the other #'s are anywhere close to my iCloud backup size except for.

Yeah I'm thinking the Other for me is messages - I've got a lot of media in them - images and videos. Wouldn't have thought it'd be 2gbs worth though!

Sorry for reviving an old thread, just wanted to throw some info into this "Other".
I'm sure it's iMessages now.
I sent a 2 minutes video clip to 2 contacts, then say my other and iCloud backup size increase by roughly what I'd expect the video's filesize to be (times 2).
So I delete the message with the attachment from both message threads, did the iCloud backup and checked Other again, and it hadn't decreased.
Seems that even when you delete a message, it doesn't delete the attachment from the file system.
Confirmed this using some backup recovery software. It doesn't see the message (because I deleted it) but it does see the video file twice, so it's not been deleted... waste of about 500mb that I can't get rid of!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.