Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FourOhFour

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Why the **** are my devices going to an apple website when I connect to my local wifi in the first place?

It's checking to see if the wifi has an internet connection or if it is a captive portal you need to log in to. If the wifi requires a log in, it shows the page it redirects you to even if you aren't in a web browser. Before they added this, you'd be trying to figure out why your app isn't working until you tried safari and got the login page there.

Looks like the server it connects to to test the connection is broken.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Same thing here. iOS 6 and AirPort Extreme.

So many people are experiencing this. How could this have slipped past QA Testing?

Last edited:

dead_smed

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
Milton Keynes
I'm also getting this problem on an iPod touch 4th generation. I think I'll hold fire on upgrading my other devices until this has been resolved. Glad I'm not the only one.

jsadwith

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
Happening to everyone in our office that upgraded. We noticed that the phone makes a request to http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html right before kicking the message. Not sure if it's related, but there's definitely something funky there.

Edit - wow, yea, earlier, we noticed that this file was returning text that said "Success", and now it's returning a 404 page. We're thinking it's some request to see if there is network connectivity or something, and since it's no longer returning "Success", it's causing this WiFi issue.

Edit #2 - Yep - just what we thought. Check this post from 2010: http://erratasec.blogspot.com/2010/09/apples-secret-wispr-request.html

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Happening here too. Which is weird because I installed it yesterday and it was working on my home wifi just fine. But all of a sudden today, I get home and this happens.

ituleb

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Same issue here - did a cursory google search and this problem is popping up all over the place. Hopefully there is a fix soon - I literally cannot connect/stay connected to any Wifi network.

ssanders79

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
Celebration, Fl
iPad 2 - OK
iPhone 4 - OK
iPhone 4S - Not connecting to wifi (goes to apple.com login page)

coincidentally, this is the order I updated the devices.

bdinardo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Same here

iPhone 4S won't connect -- it gets the strange web Apple login page. I tried turning off cellular data; that didn't work. I tried turning on auto-join; that didn't work. "The New iPad" is still connecting to my home network just fine.

Update 15 minutes later: it's working again.

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
How can such a thing happen when so many here tested the Gold Master? Did none of them sync via wifi?

Is this an iOS issue or iTunes issue?

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Crap! I updated my iPad earlier today, no issues. Then updated my iPhone, no issues. Now I get home and tell my wife it's safe, update yours too. And then this issue! Now she's going to be really mad at me. At least on the cell phone there's 3G, on her wifi only iPad there isn't so now it can't do anything online.

Let's hope they fix this asap. It's not an iOS issue, it's something on their servers down.

josephcasey

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
dreadful carry on. stayed up
late to update iPhone 4S and iPad 3. now neither can connect to my own home wifi. how could problem this severe get missed?

why does connecting to local wifi depend on apple.com ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.