Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
They shouldn't be. Did you try quitting all your apps and restarting? I have 5 tabs open on my Air and I can switch between them effortlessly without the pages reloading.

I haven't done that, but I will and I'll report back. Thanks for the tip.

They reloaded on iOS 6 too. I'd love to know exactly what the issue is (hardware or software or both) and why Apple doesn't seem to have any interest in fixing it. But I've been using 7.1 on my Air now for a whole day and haven't had a crash yet. So there's that. :)

The crashing usually happened once or twice a day, but the page reloading is all the time and I personally find it more annoying. I would be happy if it would hold 5 tabs without reloading, If it would, the experience on the Air would be nearly flawless. There are threads all over the internet about it, so I think it is a fairly common complaint. Is it possible that Apple does that for a reason and that they don't consider it an issue? Just a thought, maybe it works as intended?

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Did my iPhone 5 and 5s, iPad 3 and Air. All are more responsive and Touch ID is vastly improved. Good job Apple!

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Its your connection. Never had and issue at all getting download on 3 devices.

Just tried to upgrade my 4s and it's telling me 3 hours remaining. I just tested my connection with Speedtest, ping 18ms & download 15.49 Mbps. I also have to upgrade my iPad Air, 5s and my mom's brand new 5s. I just wanted to try it out first on my 4s which I now use as a "test" device and Sonos controller. It looks like all four will have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
That axis designates "time". The dips mean fewer downloads during that time period, not uninstalls.

The Y axis is not "number of downloads" at the time of the x axis - it says % share of US iOS web traffic.

All it means is that less people with iOS7.1 were using the web at that time, compared to the time before.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Did my iPhone 5 and 5s, iPad 3 and Air. All are more responsive and Touch ID is vastly improved. Good job Apple!

How can you tell so quickly about Touch ID? I'm one of the people affected by the Touch ID fade. I installed 7.1 yesterday but it will take time to see if the fade is gone.

anonymouse99

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Why does a 214 MB update require 1.9 GB of free space? Its so frustrating!
I can't update because of it.
This is probably why only 6% of users have been able to download/install it. I have a bunch on music on my devices.

Is there a way to temporarily remove this music (I have iTunes match) in order to do my install?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I haven't done that, but I will and I'll report back. Thanks for the tip.

The crashing usually happened once or twice a day, but the page reloading is all the time and I personally find it more annoying. I would be happy if it would hold 5 tabs without reloading, If it would, the experience on the Air would be nearly flawless. There are threads all over the internet about it, so I think it is a fairly common complaint. Is it possible that Apple does that for a reason and that they don't consider it an issue? Just a thought, maybe it works as intended?

The crashing was driving me nuts. I guess I've just gotten used to the page reloading. Yeah if Apple would fix that my Air experience would be close to flawless.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I upgraded in the evening, as soon as I found out it was released.
I was fed up with all the crazy bugs. Some bugs are still present, but not as annoying as the previous ones.
Performance seems to have improved with this release (iPad 5 / iPhone 5s)

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
we may likely have over 20 million people that have downloaded this update by now (if not more).

10-20 million devices doesn't equal 10-20 million people.

People generally update all their devices at once and most iPad users are also iPhone users. Plus there are enterprise users who update batches of idevices.

The number could be as low as 5 million actual people updating 10-20 million devices.

That's still a big number though.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
This is probably why only 6% of users have been able to download/install it. I have a bunch on music on my devices.

Is there a way to temporarily remove this music (I have iTunes match) in order to do my install?

Yes. You go to settings>general>usage. Wait for the list to populate. Click music. Click edit up the top. Press the delete sign beside all music.

If you have match on it will re-download as necessary.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
The crashing was driving me nuts. I guess I've just gotten used to the page reloading. Yeah if Apple would fix that my Air experience would be close to flawless.

How often was yours crashing? Mine hasn't crashed since the update, but I haven't used it much yet, maybe an hour or so.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
The best part of 7.1 for me is having the calendar show month view and daily events in the same screen. 7.0 calendar was so infuriatingly dumb.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
I will stay in the remaining 94%, the phone app is awfully ugly :(. What for they made a bigger iPhone if it shows such a small picture when somebody is calling you? What for to put a picture then? I wonder if there will be any tweak after for it.
that's why you don't want to update? Have fun using a slower phone

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I find it odd that they don't make it more obvious to non "Apple-obsessive-macrumors-readers". It seems like it takes quite a few days for the badge to come up on the settings app. My parents have no idea what it means and don't update until I do it for them.
Can you imagine what server load would be like if everyone got a notification right away? In sure they roll notifications out in waves. There is no way their servers could handle tens of millions of simultaneous uodate requests. They can't even handle a new iPhone launch!

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Its your connection. Never had and issue at all getting download on 3 devices.

Glad you decided that. But you're wrong. Again, my connection tested 100% fine and I was able to download numerous updates to my computer and my xbox in a snap. Go on twitter and you'll see that others are having 16-20 hours show up as well. Thanks for ur comment tho.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I'm waiting for the next jailbreak if there will be one.

If the evaders didn't team up with the Chinese company and released the jailbreak early in the beta stage...

----------

You can manually delete songs / albums / artists etc. by swiping to the left in the Music app, after that you can sync back the songs from your computer.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
I can use my iPad again !

The new graphics make all the difference. My eyes are happy again.

Job we'll done, makes up for the bad release.

Please don't do that again.

Now where is my new Big phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.