Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Not that it's a solution to the problem, but there is a Living Social app. Perhaps using that instead of the web page would at least help you move past this issue.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
I am curious if it fixes memory management and application crashes. I think ios7 was a breath of fresh air for Apple devices and I think 7.1 will make it even better.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
The link to livingsocial on safari shows that Safari is still having major problems... As we all know.

Yes, I understand that, which is why I said that it's not a solution. Apparently the person that shared the link visits that URL often enough that it's bothering them, thus why I suggested trying the app as an alternative.

It also looks like the site has crap code that Safari is unable to cope with.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I guess my Air has super powers, I have it enabled and can still go 3 full days between charges with quite a bit of use (browsing, games). I doubt turning off Parallax/animations will drastically improve battery life, but whatever floats your boat! :)

Now imagine going on for 4 days! Thr joy, the excitment

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I am curious if it fixes memory management and application crashes. I think ios7 was a breath of fresh air for Apple devices and I think 7.1 will make it even better.

After 3 days of no crashes with beta 2 on Air, it's definitely a huge improvement over 7.0.x. I was experiencing 2-3 crashes and one SB respring per day before, so I'm happy now with 7.1 betas. Hopefully, Apple'll keep optimizing iOS 7 with 7.2.x+ instead of stopping after 7.1 is released and working on iOS 8 instead.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, I understand that, which is why I said that it's not a solution. Apparently the person that shared the link visits that URL often enough that it's bothering them, thus why I suggested trying the app as an alternative.

It also looks like the site has crap code that Safari is unable to cope with.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe Apple has crap software with a meager 1gb RAM?

The site world beautifully on my HTC One and Dell Venue 8 Pro ��

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
iOS 7.1 Beta 2 iPad Air Review

It also looks like the site has crap code that Safari is unable to cope with.

Or maybe Apple has crap software with a meager 1gb RAM?

The site world beautifully on my HTC One and Dell Venue 8 Pro í*½í¸

Yeah, that's it. It's not games or other memory intensive apps that bring the device to its knees...no...it's a web page in a browser taking up all the memory. Makes total sense.

What's next, solar flares causing it? :)

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I guess my Air has super powers, I have it enabled and can still go 3 full days between charges with quite a bit of use (browsing, games). I doubt turning off Parallax/animations will drastically improve battery life, but whatever floats your boat! :)

Same here. rMini's last battery cycle was 23% left, just under 14 hours usage, 3 days standby. Parallax/animations on.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
I picked up the Nexus 7.2 (2013) for $179 and it's a steal at that price with a 323 PPI screen, 2 GB RAM, and quad-core Snapdragon CPU. The Android Kitkat release is beautiful the way the UI is organized, very well laid out, runs very fast. That's my keeper out of the Air and rMini, bought all three on Black Friday. I would have kept the Air too, but just not going to put up with the Ultimate Crashing Machine.

I was able to pick up a nexus 7 2013 (FHD) for around $100. I also have iphone 5s and ipad 3. While the nexus is a good device, i still prefer ios 7 over android any day, even the slower ipad 3. Android is just not smooth and there is always weird lag in everything you do. The apps are crappy as well. With that being said, it is awesome for videos and very portable. You can also customize it and root it to your hearts content.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I just hoped that with a newer device they would actually try to make the system better.

The dumping wouldn't happen near as frequently if they added more ram.

Try using a Note 10.1 with its 3GB of ram and see how much it crashes and lags when switching between tabs or apps. I had three of them before I went back to iPad.

I'm convinced that completely suspending an app when exiting is the best way to avoid lag and crashes. Samsung put in a ton of ability to multi-task, but for some reason it does not give a smooth experience at all. I'm not educated enough on the inner workings of OS operations to know why, but it is what it is.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think that the expectation a tablet multi-task like a PC or laptop is a bit unrealistic. But that's me. I don't have such high expectations from a tablet. Which maybe explains why I don't think it is such a big deal.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
So there's actually people that use their iPad without the reduce motion turned on? Guess they like their battery to drain faster...

on my iPad air I don't have reduce motion turned, on my iPhone yes, but my upas no because i have literally seen no battery life difference or any performance suffrage, but my phone yes for sure, but my iPad not at all

pocketpenguin

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2012
I'm not running the beta, but I have turned on reduced motion and increased contrast under accessibility settings, and have noticed fewer crashes. This on an ipad air running 7.04.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I think that the expectation a tablet multi-task like a PC or laptop is a bit unrealistic. But that's me. I don't have such high expectations from a tablet. Which maybe explains why I don't think it is such a big deal.

Yeah, I'm with you. I didn't expect the tablet to be able to do everything a laptop or PC could do. I knew that going in. My needs and use cases are different though, to be fair.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
It's quite possible that it's the buggy memory compressor that caused all these Safari crashes, tab reloads

Surely it hasn't. It has always been a huge problem in iOS - even back in the iOS3 times, and not specific to 7.0.x. I've recently published some figures clearly showing this.

Nevertheless, according to my own measurements, 7.1 b2 is indeed much better in this regard - see https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18522600/

----------

Yeah, I'm with you. I didn't expect the tablet to be able to do everything a laptop or PC could do. I knew that going in. My needs and use cases are different though, to be fair.

Why would it? Windows, even RT, supports true multiwindow multitask (the "snap" mode) just fine. So do Samsung's all higher-end phones and tablets. And so did Quasar on JB'n iOS back under iOS5 - no wonder power users like me loved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.