iOS 7.1 Beta 2non-developers DO NOT UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Its no secret that non-developers get ahold of the .ipsw files and install them on their devices. I am not here to debate the ethics, but rather give fair warning to those taking the risk.

If you are running 7.1 Beta 1 DO NOT UPDATE OTA! It will check with Apple if you are a registered developer unlike in the past. If you are not, then you will not be able to use your phone and have to restore back to an earlier version. And no, you cannot go back to 7.1 Beta 1, the same problem arises. Apple has cut out the non-developers again.

You have been warned!

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Its no secret that non-developers get ahold of the .ipsw files and install them on their devices. I am not here to debate the ethics, but rather give fair warning to those taking the risk.

If you are running 7.1 Beta 1 DO NOT UPDATE OTA! It will check with Apple if you are a registered developer unlike in the past. If you are not, then you will not be able to use your phone and have to restore back to an earlier version. And no, you cannot go back to 7.1 Beta 1, the same problem arises. Apple has cut out the non-developers again.

You have been warned!
Yep, this is true. Would've been helpful a few hours ago :p

I let my dev account run out after I stopped dabbling in coding..kept going with betas though out of habit. Guess that's at an end now unfortunately.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
So, it this that people haven't paid the $99 & registered with Apple or something else?

Xiph0s

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
New York, NY

You have been warned!
As a developer...this makes me happy. lol

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
I liked doing it to give real world usage diagnostics to work out the bugs. I knew the risks I was taking and knew there would be bugs. I will especially miss the black keyboard

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
So this is a problem? If you aren't a registered developer, then you really don't have any business running beta software meant only for them, correct?

It's like whining that Microsoft crippled your Windows because they found out you used an illegal key.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011

You have been warned!
That's no reason not to update. It was already a documented requirement. Just the check was broken.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I had to restore to 7.0.4 and at first couldn't restore my ios 7.1 backup. But if you go to the backup folder and find the info.plist file then edit
<key>Product Version</key> <string>7.1</string>
to
<key>Product Version</key> <string>7.0.4</string>
Then iTunes will restore the back up fine.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I had to restore to 7.0.4 and at first couldn't restore my ios 7.1 backup. But if you go to the backup folder and find the info.plist file then edit
to
Thanks! This will save a lot of time in the future, lol

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla

You have been warned!
Staying on Beta 1 could lead to your beta expiring in a bad situation leaving your phone as an expensive paper weight in possible time of need.

ben824

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
GA
to
Any way to grab the file from iCloud? Thats where my backups are most recent.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Just because some people like to play with fire doesn't mean everyone else is doomed to get a bricked or non functional phone.

This thread title is misleading and ridiculous.

Last edited:

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
If you are not a developer, why are you trying to install this update and how did you get it?

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
awesome misleading post ... should read "Don't Update to Beta 2 If You Aren't A Registered Developer

:rolleyes:
I was actually in the middle of downloading when I saw that title. So, yeah, thanks for the heart attack.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
I have a dev account and it still put my phone into recovery mode so now I'm stuck having to restore to 7.0.4

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I'm honestly surprised Apple left the old "Update Loophole" open for this long.

The somewhat elitist comments from 'Developers' are a little too goading for my own taste, and these people should realise that for every person who installs a beta and moans about bugs & performance there are numerous others, like myself, who enjoy testing out the latest builds of iOS and appreciate what it entails.

As the old saying goes, 'Don't tar everyone with the same brush'.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Perhaps they were secretly lurking around and reading posts from non-developers reporting numerous bugs who installed betas....?c:confused::confused::apple: I feel used, no!!!
Haha, I doubt that. :D

It worked on iOS 5, 6, and 7 ... it was only a matter of time before it got shut down. Same as the old 'loophole' that allowed non Jailbroken users to change app icons on iOS 5 to whatever they liked using iExplorer to drag and drop replacement icon images.

Good while it lasted, however Google is your friend. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.