Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
I updated to 7.1 OTA and have none of these issues. All this talk about clean install and only update with iTunes doing A DFU dance is for the most part bunk. There is absolutely no reason. I have updated OTA since it's been available. Only issues I've ever had are Know bugs in the system and usually corrected the next update.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I have the 5S, and while my phone no longer crashes, it's definitely freezing a lot more for the first time ever. The screen will just stop responding for awhile, then catch up really quickly on all the actions I performed while trying to get it to respond.

No bueno.

Bossbhavesh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
If your photo app is crashing and you're still having issues with TouchID after an upgrade, you likely have a hardware issue. Especially since the OP did a DFU mode restore and reinstalled his apps manually instead of restoring the backup.

So if the photos app crashes it means that I have a hardware failure? I don't get the logic behind this. And TouchID works but SOMETIMES it just takes more than one try to get in which I thought was supposed to be corrected in iOS 7.1 .

The closest hardware related to photos app would be the GPU. But my games work fluently. It's just the buggy software.

And to be precise, the photos app crashes only when I am constantly switching wallpapers.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
So if the photos app crashes it means that I have a hardware failure? I don't get the logic behind this. And TouchID works but SOMETIMES it just takes more than one try to get in which I thought was supposed to be corrected in iOS 7.1 .

The closest hardware related to photos app would be the GPU. But my games work fluently. It's just the buggy software.

And to be precise, the photos app crashes only when I am constantly switching wallpapers.

My first 5s had an issue where I'd get random crashes when changing the wallpaper and when using TouchID. It even crashed once or twice using the Nike+ Move app. Everything else worked fine, including games. Apple ran a diagnostic and it failed the hardware part of the test. They replaced my iPhone and I haven't had the issue since then.

I've read reports of people who are experiencing poor performance with TouchID. They've swapped out their phones and TouchID works much better.

I'm not saying that you've definitely got a hardware issue, but it is worth considering. Take it into an Apple store and have them check it out. It's not like it'll cost you money. For the record iOS 7.1 has fixed many annoyances that iOS 7.0.x had, at least for my wife and I.

Bossbhavesh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
My first 5s had an issue where I'd get random crashes when changing the wallpaper and when using TouchID. It even crashed once or twice using the Nike+ Move app. Everything else worked fine, including games. Apple ran a diagnostic and it failed the hardware part of the test. They replaced my iPhone and I haven't had the issue since then.

I've read reports of people who are experiencing poor performance with TouchID. They've swapped out their phones and TouchID works much better.

I'm not saying that you've definitely got a hardware issue, but it is worth considering. Take it into an Apple store and have them check it out. It's not like it'll cost you money. For the record iOS 7.1 has fixed many annoyances that iOS 7.0.x had, at least for my wife and I.

Hmm.. Will take it to Apple if iOS 7.1.1 fails to fix things. Thanks for sharing your experience though!

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The animations definitely aren't slower, you're just used to them now, which you should be because they're the same speed as iOS 6's.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK

Simple test. Backup to iCloud first. Do a restore through iTunes and delete everything. Once restored, take some photos. Does the photo app crash? Switch wallpapers. Does the photo app crash? Yes, you have a possible fault. No? your issue is with your photos that was on your phone (possible corrupted in some way.

Just because the GPU is ok in games, doesn't mean it doesn't have a problem.

I have repaired laptops and xbox 360, ps3 (thousands of them). Some games would function perfectly well, others (especially COD-MW2) would cause the screen to freeze or display garbled graphics. Fault? GPU.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I noticed in the Photos App, that it has one of my pictures with the incorrect date…almost a year before it was even taken. Very odd.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Damn it! I thought apple actually released an update to fix all the issues! :(

I don't know about the issues.....my phones and iPad have all run virtually flawlessly since 7.1 came out. Then again, I didn't have many problems on 7.0 either.

Anyhow - Macrumors will always post an article pertaining to new software updates. If it's past 10 am PDT and Macrumors hasn't thrown up an article, you can conclude there isn't a release.

You could also simply check your device. Never download an ipsw from a website you don't know. That's just asking for trouble.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I don't know about the issues.....my phones and iPad have all run virtually flawlessly since 7.1 came out. Then again, I didn't have many problems on 7.0 either.

Anyhow - Macrumors will always post an article pertaining to new software updates. If it's past 10 am PDT and Macrumors hasn't thrown up an article, you can conclude there isn't a release.

You could also simply check your device. Never download an ipsw from a website you don't know. That's just asking for trouble.

I just don't understand these posts claiming flawless functioning. I know a ton of people who have bugs and issues with 7.1

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I just don't understand these posts claiming flawless functioning. I know a ton of people who have bugs and issues with 7.1

Ok? I'm just telling you my experience - which really wasn't even the point of the post.....

You know a "ton" of people with issues, I don't know any. In reality, its likely the issues are affecting a relatively small group of people.

Unless Apple has turned you away, I don't understand griping about it on a forum either. That's one of the great things about Apple, you have a problem - just take it into an Apple store and they'll 9 times out of 10 take care of you.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Ok? I'm just telling you my experience - which really wasn't even the point of the post.....

You know a "ton" of people with issues, I don't know any. In reality, its likely the issues are affecting a relatively small group of people.

Unless Apple has turned you away, I don't understand griping about it on a forum either. That's one of the great things about Apple, you have a problem - just take it into an Apple store and they'll 9 times out of 10 take care of you.

I'm the only person I know who is experiencing dreadful battery life, but all six of the iPhone owners I know have lost a good hour per charge cycle of battery life with iOS7.
All six iPhone owners that I know are experiencing Safari crashes and all of them have apps crash on them. All six of them like the look of iOS7 but hate the way it performs.
I would say that out of the six iPhone owners I know in 'real life', 100% of them having issues with iOS7 suggests that these issues are more widespread than you claim.
Now I'm certainly not disputing that your own device performs well, but I do presume that you can't use it for apps and web browsing all that heavily. If you do, then it's very strange indeed.
I'm certainly not in some extreme minority here though.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm the only person I know who is experiencing dreadful battery life, but all six of the iPhone owners I know have lost a good hour per charge cycle of battery life with iOS7.
All six iPhone owners that I know are experiencing Safari crashes and all of them have apps crash on them. All six of them like the look of iOS7 but hate the way it performs.
I would say that out of the six iPhone owners I know in 'real life', 100% of them having issues with iOS7 suggests that these issues are more widespread than you claim.
Now I'm certainly not disputing that your own device performs well, but I do presume that you can't use it for apps and web browsing all that heavily. If you do, then it's very strange indeed.
I'm certainly not in some extreme minority here though.

I use my devices plenty heavily - though I use three equally which would space out usage per device, my overall total usage is quite high.

I had some problems with iOS 7 - mainly the music app in which playlists would crash the app and song listings would "twitch". I also had the occasional respring (once or twice a month) and safari crashed a few times.

Perhaps I simply don't see these things as crippling. These were all iOS 7.0 issues. Since 7.1 I haven't experienced any of these issues. Has an app crashed since the update? Yes....its happened once or twice, but hardly anything out of the ordinary.

As for battery life, my wife has a 5 and complained the other day about it dying faster. I told her to use it normally throughout the day and let it get to 1% and show me the usage. When it finally did, she said it was fine.

Point being, these battery issues have happened after every major release of iOS. They "happen", people complain, then it dies down and the battery normalizes.

If you and your friends are having THAT much trouble after 7.1, go see Apple. Its not normal. I have a slew of family, friends and co-workers on various Apple devices and I haven't heard any of them complain about bugs or crashes.

Take that however you want to take it. Not my intention to rub it in your face or say your problems aren't valid. The intent of the post you responded to was merely to caution the OP about downloading IPSWs from places other than Apple. Especially on April Fool's Day.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just as there are a ton of people who aren't experiencing a lot of the bigger issues, and aren't too bothered by a lot of the smaller ones. If you are talking about pure comparisons to iOS 6 or 5, well, yes, there are some performance hits here and there, but for a lot of people, at least since iOS 7.1, things have been overall more stable and better rather than worse or at least still not good. Certainly there will be people with actual issues, but not all of them are something that's inherently bad in the latest OS or applies to a lot of others, let alone to everyone or even most.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
I have the same problem when connected to cellular. On wifi it's perfect but then once I switch to cellular there's about a second delay when opening apps and the whole OS is just choppy when on cellular when compared to wifi. Other than that 7.1 works great. It's so annoying that the performance is so much different on cellular the on wifi. 7.0 was fine.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I had the data indicator issue on after a restore from new of 7.1 so I did a reset (power + home until you see the Apple logo) and it went away and never came back.

Aside from that my iPhone 4S has been great. I may have had 1 or 2 crappy apps crash and battery is as good/bad as it's always been since iOS 5.

I've been happy with it. I hope you get your issues worked out though.

mohammed-eg

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2013
I have the sim card problem and it's actually happens with certain carrier i need fix to that wearied animation issue while 3g is on

Bossbhavesh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
I have the sim card problem and it's actually happens with certain carrier i need fix to that wearied animation issue while 3g is on

Hey buddy I solved this problem by switching to a carrier with a short name. The long name is causing lag I think. This is what I noticed was common among the videos on youtube. It sounds illogical but give it a go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.