Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
For me it has been.

Beta 3 seems to have broken a lot more than it fixed. My phone crashes more often, notifications are inconsistent (as to whether or not they display in the Notification Center), the new font weight is uglier and ruined some apps (like Facebook and Messages), changing wallpaper causes Settings to crash every single time, I have weird transparency issues that didn't exist in beta 2... just so many more annoyances.

Beta 2 was such an improvement from beta 1 that it's hard to believe beta 3 took such a huge step backward.

Is that common with betas? I didn't do any iOS 6 betas, and I only did one or two with iOS 5, so I have no basis for comparison.

Anyway, I have a list of bugs that I'll be reporting on the dev site, and then I think I'll switch back to beta 2 until 4 is released. It was just so much better.

But even though it's a beta (yes, I'm aware, no need to tell me), I'm really loving iOS 7 so far. Can't wait until all of the kinks are worked out :D

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
My only complaint is battery life. I reinstalled beta 3 again yesterday as a NEW install and it appears to have stabilized. What I'm no longer seeing is the springboard crashing.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
My only complaint is battery life. I reinstalled beta 3 again yesterday as a NEW install and it appears to have stabilized. What I'm no longer seeing is the springboard crashing.

Beta 1 had horrid battery for me, while beta 2 and 3 have put me back near the iOS 6 level of battery usage. I did both as OTA updates. Now I just need to figure out the easiest way to go back to beta 2 since 3 is such a mess, haha. But when I log into the Apple Developer site, beta 3 is the only one there of course... guess I have to go elsewhere :(

Naor

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
The hell are you talking about? IOS 7 beta 3 is extremely stable and fun to use, way better than beta 2 and 1. Some people in this forum live in a bubble or something.

Naor

macrumors regular
May 19, 2013
Battery Drain is awful in beta 3:mad::(

You say that with every beta. It's just in your head, people. Battery life has always been the same. And beta 3 isn't a mess, beta 2 was a mess. How can you argue with the facts? If you want to go back to a buggy beta that keeps crashing every few minutes, pushes multiple notifications and is just generally terrible (beta 2), go ahead and do it.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
For me it has been.

Beta 3 seems to have broken a lot more than it fixed. My phone crashes more often, notifications are inconsistent (as to whether or not they display in the Notification Center), the new font weight is uglier and ruined some apps (like Facebook and Messages), changing wallpaper causes Settings to crash every single time, I have weird transparency issues that didn't exist in beta 2... just so many more annoyances.

Beta 2 was such an improvement from beta 1 that it's hard to believe beta 3 took such a huge step backward.

Is that common with betas? I didn't do any iOS 6 betas, and I only did one or two with iOS 5, so I have no basis for comparison.

Anyway, I have a list of bugs that I'll be reporting on the dev site, and then I think I'll switch back to beta 2 until 4 is released. It was just so much better.

But even though it's a beta (yes, I'm aware, no need to tell me), I'm really loving iOS 7 so far. Can't wait until all of the kinks are worked out :D

Another thread like this, betas are not for the average user, stop complaining, yes you say you know it's a beta but I don't think you know that, you say you are going back to beta 2... stop whining.

Beta 3 is not a "step backward" for you may look that way, because you just focus on fonts, wallpapers and how Facebook looks like, this is more stable that beta 1 and 2.

And for the ones complaining about battery life, please stop, not every beta is supposed to better battery life, of all the bugs, Apple has a priority level and what needs to fix and in which order it needs to be fixed for the next beta release, and sometimes fixing one thing means it will create a new bug or new problem.

Think of fixing/building a car, you don't paint it and then do car work, or you don't put the wheels and rim before fixing the brakes, but being software many people just think "why they don't just fix this ASAP" well, you can't fix the brakes without taking the wheels off first.

Last edited:

jonny

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
My battery life in b3 is amazing - as good as 6.1.3. Actually everything works much better than b2 for me.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Beta 3 on the iPhone 5 is much better, minus one really ugly bug for me. Battery life is stable after one manual shutdown of the device. Haven't seen a respring of the UI yet. I don't pull up control center every time I try to type using the keyboard anymore after they tweaked the sensitivity.

However, edit mode is utterly thrashed on 3rd party apps that use list views. Go into edit mode and I can't reorganize items, and the draw rects are calculated wrong. And transparency glitches as others point out. I suspect beta 4 will be the one stable enough to avoid making me groan using it.

cdcrowell

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
nashville,tn
beta 3 has been good so far on my iphone 5.battery life is good my usage is 3 hr 25 mins and standby is 17 hours 49 min with 54% left.only problems im having is email badge is always wrong and photos crash if i select more than one to look at.so far its been better than 2 .although the only problem i had on 2 was the boot loop which was major.

calpolygraduate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I don't see iOS 7 releasing in September being this buggy/unpolished/unfinished...... Apple needs to step up their game

OneZweiThree

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Bavaria
I don't see iOS 7 releasing in September being this buggy/unpolished/unfinished...... Apple needs to step up their game

You do realize, there are more than two months left?!
Do you really think, they stop working now and release it like this in Septmeber?

This **** needs to stop...

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Past betas have always been buggy, it's not just iOS 7. There's no doubt in my mind that it will ship in the fall working how iOS 6 does now.

----------

Do you really think, they stop working now and release it like this in Septmeber?

This.

calpolygraduate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008

Two months is not enough trust me. Unless their Software QA Engineers are working 60+ hours a week!!

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

You really think iOS 7 will still be this buggy in September? Are Apple software engineers taking the months of July and August off? Also when did Apple say iOS 7 was shipping in September? :confused:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Of course

Exactly.

The same things happen every year and the final release ends up being fine. I'm pretty sure Apple knows what they're doing. They wouldn't tell us it will be out this fall if they weren't sure they could do meet that deadline. Of course if some show stopping bug comes out of no where that takes extra time to address, that's a different story.

----------

Of course

and unless you're a software developer who has years of experience working with a major operating system, I don't think you're qualified to say "they won't be done in time".

Simbazz

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Lancashire, England
Silly to say Apple will miss their usual deadline. They have such a vast amount of people working on it daily, and probably an even bigger number of people they could rope in to help if anything needed extra time.

It'll release as normal in and around September (ish) and it'll be fairly bug free.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN

Two months is not enough trust me. Unless their Software QA Engineers are working 60+ hours a week!!

Why should I trust you? You have experience in designing, developing, and deploying operating systems? Apple just needs to hire you on the spot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.