iOS 7 Beta 4 headphones play/pause button fail

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Geckotek, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

On rare occasions the play/pause button works (after forcing quit and re-opening the music app) but most of the time my play/pause button on my headphones is no longer working after update.

Anybody else seeing this?

2. emckai macrumors regular

Apparently it's a new bug which was introduced in beta 4. Probably will be fixed by the next beta or GM.

3. rogeliojeda macrumors regular

Same issue here, I really use the earpods buttons.

4. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

thank god you're posting this. I assume at least one of you guys have an iphone 5?
    because I thought it was wilful by Apple not to support it any longer - at least not on my iphone 4. you see, on iOS 6 the remote control wouldn't work at all with my old iPhone, but up until iOS 7 beta 3 all buttons worked. i do hope this is not an intentional move by apple.

5. nigameash macrumors 6502

I've had issues with my BT headphones since the first beta. The play/pause buttons didn't work on my headphones nor did the play/pause buttons on the lockscreen. b3 fixed it, seems to be working fine with b4 as well.

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Same problem here, on both my iPhone 5 and iPad 3. I actually use the remote all the time, so this kind of sucks. :( Oh well. At least it still works for Siri - "skip to the next track" ...

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Chill. It's a bug and will be fixed in the next beta or the GM release. It's a beta for a reason. The remote worked fine for me when I had an iPhone 4 running iOS 6.

The remote works when using third party music apps - works on Spotify for me which is my main music app. Not such a big deal then for me.

8. Clovel19 macrumors newbie

Hi ! I'm on iPhone 4 GSM.

It's clearly related to the Music.app, because Siri/Voice Controls work, Volume works and play works when the Music.app is closed (hitting play opens up Music.app and starts the last song you play or else starts a random song.)

We have to test other apps to be sure. Rports say Spotify work. Confirm anyone ?

We should test :
    -Deezer
    -Pandora
    -YouTube
    -Dailymotion

These would give us a good idea of how the bug behaves.

I'll check on my side.
    Cheers from France,
    Clovel

:apple:

9. w0mbat macrumors newbie

CarTunes doesn't work with the headset pause button.

Anyone know if it's possible to get spotify to read the iTunes library on the device or does it only work with streamed music or tracks set to local storage from the app?

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

No, Spotify cannot read your music on your device, unless it's synced to the spotify app.

11. Beachhead999 macrumors member

This started after the B4 update?

12. richardw macrumors member

I have this bug too.

Also I listen to some hour long tracks (XFM/Ricky Gervais) and the music app skips position all over the place quite randomly.

13. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I've listened to a continuous mix track that is over 90 mins long this morning and it didn't skip at all.

14. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

It's happening to me, too, usng EarPods and my iPhone 5. The volume control still works, and pressing and holding to activate and use Siri works, but music controls aren't working for me.

15. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

They must of changed the behaviour of something. I expect it'll be corrected in the next beta. Theres nothing in the release notes though.

16. Topher227 macrumors regular

I can confirm that the headphone buttons WORK on the following apps:
    Spotify (pause, play, next track, previous track) [volume causes app to crash... Workaround: use Spotify iOS4 app.]
    Spotify iOS4 (volume, pause, play, next track, previous track)
    Tunigo (volume, pause, play, next track, previous track)
    Pandora (volume, pause, play, next track)
    TuneIn Radio (volume, pause, play)
    iTunes Music Store [while previewing a track] (volume, pause, play)

From my testing... it seems to be Music.app related...

17. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Or if you have an older version of Spotify for iOS 5 or above in iTunes (it's only version 0.7.1 that doesn't work), I would use that. The app for iOS 4 is so crippled.

18. Geckotek thread starter macrumors G3

Geckotek

Thanks guys, I was also thinking it must be music.app related as killing the app and restarting gets it to work for a bit (or maybe just once?)

And I should have stated this earlier, but I have an iPhone 5. However, this bug seems to be hardware independent.

19. Topher227 macrumors regular

Your solution is better to be honest, I just don't have the older version locally. I know its a Google search away for the .IPA, but i'm feeling lazy, haha.

Do you mean crippled as in, less features, or it doesn't work? It works well on my iPhone 5. I've noticed a small bug (started this morning) where it force quits if i quickly press CANCEL on the "Make the most of Spotify" dialog. If I wait a few seconds and then press CANCEL, it works flawlessly.

You could try a double workaround.... Use the Spotify iOS 4 (or an earlier version of the regular Spotify, if available) and then use that to open your iTunes Playlists. I believe that works on downloaded content only... aka no Cloud items.

20. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

It lacks the newest features. Saying that i can't believe they took away the option to rearrange playlists from within the app and only resorted it in the latest version (which we can't use), but the app from iOS 4 is missing this and will not get it.

Luckily i have the older app in iTunes on my Mac, but if i didn't i'd have to use the iOS 4 app *shudder* :D

----------

If you are saying that Spotify will be able to detect your playlists in the music app (local files), then it doesn't work. You could sync all your iTunes tracks to spotify and play them that way, otherwise it will not detect all the music you have synced to your device using iTunes. You need to be a Premium subscriber to do this.

I'm sure the Amazon Cloud app lets you play local stored music through the app.

21. w0mbat macrumors newbie

It does and the pause button works in it! Thank you for pointing it out, could be a useful workaround for the next couple of weeks :)

22. Geckotek thread starter macrumors G3

Geckotek

Nice, I shall try this later.

23. CallMeJerm macrumors newbie

Same here. Play/pause only works to open the music app. I also noticed that whenever I unlock when there's a song playing, the song skips back to the beginning. Anyone else experience the skip?

24. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Not here.

25. titou macrumors newbie

Hi !

I'm on iPhone 5 GSM with iOS 7 beta 4

In my case, the play/pause button doesn't work with :
    - native music app (the volume works)
    - Youtube app
    - Scrobbler (use the native Music app)

The play/pause button works with this apps :
    - Dailymotion
    - Deezer
    - Ustream
    - Telly
    - Vimeo

Siri/Voice Controls work, Volume works, play works when the Music.app is closed