iOS 7 design concepts - a very VERY good PDF

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Troubled by the new iOS design? Confused by it all? Read the official Apple PDF; you'll gain a LOT of insight - it's very, very beautiful :)

https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/videos/

And find "What’s New in iOS User Interface Design" - and download the PDF.

Last edited:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
If you can show me where it says that, inside the PDF, I'll remove it. Looking thoroughly at all the sparse copyright rules, I can safely say that I've done NONE of these:

## Streamed? Nope, wasn't there.

## Blogged? Ditto.

## Taking pictures? Nope - ditto again.
I'm pretty sure Apple considers MacRumors a blog.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Good presentation, still ugly. The concepts sound good on paper, but that doesn't absolve the poor, often confusing visuals.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
If you can show me where it says that, inside the PDF, I'll remove it. Looking thoroughly at all the sparse copyright rules, I can safely say that I've done NONE of these:

## Streamed? Nope, wasn't there.

## Blogged? Ditto.

## Taking pictures? Nope - ditto again.
Posting it to the public in any regards is against the developer NDA.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
This thing truely shows you that all they did was hastily reskin the OS and didn't actually work on the issues that should have been resolved. This is nothing like the transition from android 2.3 to 4.0 which literally was a complete redesign and the look and feel was much more polished. Pretty much everyone was in agreement that 4.0 looked much better than 2.3.

cualexander

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I'm pretty sure Apple considers MacRumors a blog.
This is just the slides from the video, which is in the WWDC app which is free to free developer accounts, so it's not super secret exactly, but there's a lot of information missing regardless.

----------

Please would you remove the link from this quote - I'm pulling the PDF, re-considered my actions. Thanks :)
It's fixed.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
This is just the slides from the video, which is in the WWDC app which is free to free developer accounts, so it's not super secret exactly, but there's a lot of information missing regardless.
I know where he got them from. Either way they are just a copy to the slides presented during the sessions. They are not meant to be super informative.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
This thing truely shows you that all they did was hastily reskin the OS and didn't actually work on the issues that should have been resolved.
That's opinion, nothing more. I would hardly say "hastily" - that's very dismissive and disrespecting of their HARD work, when you see the incredible detail that has been used, and consideration of every minute pixel and spacing point. To say this is just a skin is totally ignorant of what goes into a complete OS re-design and overhaul, with all respect - this IS NOT just a skin, seriously.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Put this back up. This pdf was meant to tell developers how to change their apps to meet the new look. You can find this right on their website. There's nothing illegal about posting it here. Put the dropbox link back online so more people can truely discuss this.

kappaz

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Put this back up. This pdf was meant to tell developers how to change their apps to meet the new look. You can find this right on their website. There's nothing illegal about posting it here. Put the dropbox link back online so more people can truely discuss this.
He was not posting the iOS7 UI transformation guide, he was posting slides from a developer video. Two totally different items.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
You can do it if you like; your move :)

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2006
I think great effort was put into the iOS 7 update. I'm dumbfounded that iOS fans would not find it beautiful. It finally brought the iOS interface into 2013.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
This thing truely shows you that all they did was hastily reskin the OS and didn't actually work on the issues that should have been resolved. This is nothing like the transition from android 2.3 to 4.0 which literally was a complete redesign and the look and feel was much more polished. Pretty much everyone was in agreement that 4.0 looked much better than 2.3.
And Google did that in 6 months? Lets see what iOS looks like when 7 is actually release, or better yet when iOS 8 comes out.

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2013
Google are chasing their tails with Android, as are the OEMs - it's like a sweet shop - pick some candy and hope that it tastes nice this time :p

It's a great effort, but the whole Android experience smacks of attempting to be "Better than iOS", which, ironically, one day they may be IF they stop trying to be "Better than iOS" - the problem they have is that they compare themselves to Apple, instead of being a free spirit - independant of comparisons and "iPhone killer" nonsense.

Do you see Apple trying to be like other brands? Yes - they pick out, morph and use the good parts that work, at times (they all do - all software is based on copying), but are they trying to look like Android? Would you want to learn how to cook a burger like MacDonalds do, when you own a family run steak house?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Google are chasing their tails with Android, as are the OEMs - it's like a sweet shop - pick some candy and hope that it tastes nice this time :p

It's a great effort, but the whole Android experience smacks of attempting to be "Better than iOS", which, ironically, one day they may be IF they stop trying to be "Better than iOS" - the problem they have is that they compare themselves to Apple, instead of being a free spirit - independant of comparisons and "iPhone killer" nonsense.

Do you see Apple trying to be like other brands? Yes - they pick out, morph and use the good parts that work, at times (they all do - all software is based on copying), but are they trying to look like Android? Would you want to learn how to cook a burger like MacDonalds do, when you own a family run steak house?
Android and iOS couldn't be more different. iOS is adding more Android functionality than Android is adding iOS functionality. Google and Apple are more than content with their differences.