All iPads iOS 7 for ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by daywiz, Aug 20, 2013.

1. daywiz macrumors regular

With iOS 7 for iPads supposedly running behind schedule, and with rumours telling that iPads launch will only happen in October, my question is will Apple have a few modifications to the actual operating features for the ipad's iOS version when it comes out
    i.e. like multi-tasking, a more computer like file system, more features with iWORK likely becoming free.. etc.

I'm haven't had a chance to get hold of the iOS 7 version for ipads, so it makes me wonder if they are going to introduce such features, to help strengthen its usability, and move into a 50-50 hybrid of content consumption and content creation, rather than just content consumption device, with minor creation options.

2. MandiMac macrumors 6502

...wut?

My guess there won't be any modifications, just the things that work on an iPhone will work on an iPad the same way. No file system (would defeat the purpose of an iPad, wouldn't it?), multi-tasking already has been presented (card-like), iWork becomes free in the cloud ... we already know all of that.

Besides, you already can create content on an iPad. Coda, Numbers, Pages, Keynote, iPhoto, Paper, Photoshop Touch - what do you want?

3. daywiz thread starter macrumors regular

1. That would mean you are accepting that iPad is jz an oversized iPhone. If there aren't much modifications, then why is the iPad supposedly lagging behind, because all it has to is resize, and few minor tweaks for gestures etc.

2. It doesn't have to be a full fledged file system. Something similar to what the FILES app brings to the table. Ability to open files with application of your choice, drag and drop files, sharing files between apps, etc. and it only helps makes the iPad better, not defeat its purpose.

3. Agreed that multi-tasking has been presented for the iPHONE version. My suggestion was that they may execute it slightly different for the iPad, along with PERHAPS the ability to simulatenous run two apps at a time ( may not happen, but its not like it can't)

4. iWork becomes free on the cloud. In many places, cloud computing hasn't picked up that much, internet is ridiculously expensive in even more places. Nothing replaces the freedom and comfort of the native app. iCloud natives apps should become free, then you see a considerable advantage and value.

5. I agree that all those apps you mentioned helped create content, but unless Apple steps up and starts promoting the device as mid-point between a phone and laptop, more developers won't step up. I do use Pages, Numbers and occasionally Keynote, but its not half as good as it should be. There is still alot they can do it with in terms of productivity, and usability. I have always loved working on my iPad but going back to the PC for various things beats the purpose.

4. MandiMac macrumors 6502

My guesses

1. Just an oversized iPhone? Loads of apps tell exactly the opposite :) Well, my money is on the following: They don't have problems with the OS itself, but with the animations on iPad because of so many more pixels to push. They need to kink out the last few itches with stuttering animations at 2048x1536 resolution.

2. Well, why wouldn't that work on iPhone as well? That point is about iOS in general, not the lag of iOS 7 for iPad. Sure it'd be great, but I think we're gonna get the same procedure as every time: Open your app of desire first and then try to open your document/photo.

3. If you're doing multitasking right, you could switch back to the 1024x768 app resolutions, meaning you could let run 4 apps side-by-side on your iPad screen. But would it do any good? Too much clutter, complicated, too little iPad.

4. We will see. If the price drops to zero, iWork will still save to the cloud, necessing you to have internet or wifi. But yeah, all the other apps out there (DJ Traktor and more) beg to differ - iPad is already for content creation, too. But then again: Is an iPad meant for doing heavy-duty work?

5. "More developers won't step up." Ehm, Apple has already got the most vibrant ecosystem on the planet, to put it in their own words. I still can't wrap around my head around FULL OFFICE!!1 on Surface and the likes, and iPad was never meant to replace a PC. iPads were Apples answer to netbooks, and that battle was decided in the first months of 2010.

But hey, let's get excited for October when we'll see the iPads, finally :)

5. rovex macrumors 65816

Split screen app multitasking, that's all you need.

6. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I've been using it since the first iPad beta came out and it's no further behind than the iPhone version. And no there are likely no special features just for the iPad.

Those rumors are probably BS. If they delay launching iOS 7 for the iPad it will probably be to avoid server overload issues. Nothing more

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

My guess is that they purposely delay iOS 7 for the iPad to coincide with the release for the iPad 5 which is slated for ...October? If I was running Apple I would do it that way.

8. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Makes sense.

Still think it will ship on time for iPads, can't be that hard.

9. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

^this, for sure.

10. VanillaCracker macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

Do they have any plans for the for iPad or ios in general? 4" screen is definitely way too small for that, but it's prime iPad material. I know Samsung introduced it with the Galaxy Note 2 over a year ago I think. Now it's a Samsung software thing, so I believe any touchwiz device has the feature

11. yegon, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

yegon macrumors 68020

Imo the Surface Pro pretty much vindicates the decision to keep iOS reasonably constrained. The iPad is an amazing consumption device, can be used (by some, not me) for creation to some extent, the end. For everything else there's laptops. The Surface Pro in its current form is a jumble of compromises.

I'm talking about NOW btw. I could concieve of MBA/iPad hybrid at some point, but until then, I don't want badly implemented extraneous desktop/laptop functions on the iPad.

There's myriad things I do on a laptop that're nigh impossible on tablets in their current form and I don't see the point in attempting to replicate those functions until they can be done almost exactly as well in tablet form.

I think some people vastly overestimate the processing capabilities of iOS devices next to other cpus. It's so slick and fast exactly because its so pared down. Anything truly processor intensive beyond gaming these soc's are utter garbage next to a "proper" CPU.

12. Mainsail macrumors 6502

I understand that many folks would like to have traditional multi-tasking on the iPad, but I am not sure it would be such a great experience given the touch UI. For discussion purposes, I am defining traditional multitasking as having multiple windows open simultaneously for rapid switching. The precise pointing and movement of a mouse is much better suited for handling multiple windows.

In general, people do not take full advantage of the multitasking gestures on the iPad. These really do help the user switch between apps in a pretty seamless manner.

Due to screen size and touch UI, Tablets are fundamentally one app at a time devices, so multitasking needs to be executed in a manner compatible with the device. This means discarding the familiar and comfortable laptop version of multitasking for a method that works better on a tablet.

13. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Don't think so which is a real shame.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I would like to have the Hulu app open next to what ever else I am doing. This has nothing to do with whether a touch UI works well with dual windows.

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

This would make the iPad a serious device.

I sold my iPad4 because it was not very useful for anything other than casual browsing, emailing, and the occasional game. Sure, it would be used for 100s of tasks, but it wasn't better than a laptop at many of them because it's limited to one app at a time.

What I really want is to be able to run two landscape apps side-by-side on a portrait ipad. For example, open a PDF on one side and Evernote on the other; so I can read the PDF and take notes on it at the same time.

If this happens, I would buy the iPad5 right away.

16. VanillaCracker macrumors 68020

VanillaCracker

Yeah, the new Note 3 is looking sick atm. Apple needs to add more tablet features to its tablets. Seriously, the note 2/3 is a must for anyone who is looking for productivity in a portable size.

17. rovex macrumors 65816

Exactly right.

The software currently on the ipad is software that's fit for a smartphone. These tablets should now be challenging notebooks, and this feature would go along way in doing that.

18. paulcdb macrumors regular

So buy 2 iPads! :p

*goes to fetch tinfoil hat*

19. Mainsail macrumors 6502

I see your point, but it just hasn't been a big issue for me. If I want to take notes and review a PDF, I simply swipe back and forth between apps using the multi-tasking gestures. If I want to copy something verbatim, I use copy and paste functionality. The screen is pretty small on a full sized iPad, so split screen would not work well for me.

Everybody is different, so your mileage may vary.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

The gesture to switch apps is nice, and so are copy+paste, no debate there. However, it's not multitasking; it's just switching between single tasks more rapidly. I also agree with the "for me" part, as this is a pretty subjective topic.

Still, I think 10" is enough to run two apps side by side when the screen is landscape and the two apps are portrait. Each app would be only a tad smaller than an iPad mini screen (the regular iPad screen is 148mm on it's shortest side, the iPad mini screen is 161mm on it's longest side). Given most people think using an iPad mini in portrait is fine, then using two apps side by side on a regular iPad would be pretty much the same.

Also, the PDF/Evernote is just one example when it's crucial to have proper multitasking. Writing an email while looking at and about a schematic, typing an IM while on a video conference, managing a calendar while speaking on facetime, filling in a spreadsheet while looking at an online reference, etc. Really, this seemingly simple multitasking is what revolutionized personal computing back in the 80s and turned them into what we have today. The iPad is closer to DOS in function than to OSX with it's single app limitation.

... or I could just get two iPads I suppose; or just keep using a laptop.

21. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

it is semi-surprising to me that we haven't heard any rumors about apple playing with a splitscreen mode or anything like that. All the surface ads keep reminding me that even though the surface has its drawbacks as a tablet, that is a feature that can be really useful, and if the windows app store starts to catch up, or android can present the feature in a good way, it could be a big differentiating feature for a lot of users

22. mattburley7 macrumors 68020

i really hope they dont delay iOS 7 for iPad till end of october it will be strange going from using iOS 7 on my iPhone everyday till then to using iOS 6 on my iPad :(

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

While split screen may be useful to *some* tablet users, my guess is that Apple thinks that the number of such users isn't that large. Apple is sort of going the other way by building full-screen mode into OS X -- it wants to encourage users to use apps one at a time, rather than use multiple windows on a single screen.

Personally, on my 13 inch MBA, I find myself using most apps in full screen mode. Multiple windows are nice on the iMac monitors, but on the 13 inch screen, most apps feel too small unless I go full screen. So I know *I* don't wnt multiple windows on the even smaller iPad screen. Apple is just betting that more people feel like me than otherwise. And while there are many other reasons why the Surface isn't selling well, surely one of the reasons is that split screen apps aren't as desirable a feature as Microsoft hoped.

24. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

This is true based on the resolution of the 13" air's screen. On a retina 13" mbp though, it doesn't feel too small to run 2 windows side by side. Seeing as the ipad has a retina resolution, it may be slightly more usable?

The real point though is, as you mentioned, a tiny percentage of users would actually need/benefit from split screen functionality. Still, when doing things like writing, budgeting, editing it could be useful.

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

How hard is it to swipe left / right? Or didn't you figure that one out?