[iOS 7 GM] Major lag on 4th gen iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by hammm, Sep 10, 2013.

1. hammm macrumors member

Just updated my iPad 4th gen to iOS 7 GM, and I find it to be really laggy.

Simple tasks like changing wallpaper, changing between tabs in settings is taking more than a few seconds. Beta 6 was much more smoother than the current GM build.

Is anyone else experiencing this on their iPad 4/3/2/mini running iOS 7 GM?

:(:(:(:(:(

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Erase all sertings and setup as new, that should fix it

3. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

my iPad 2 is running super smooth with iOS7 GM. Maybe try a clean install?

4. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Same issues here. We shouldn't have to completely wipe our devices to make the OS work right.

5. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Coming from BETA... I would.

6. hammm thread starter macrumors member

I have no songs, no videos and only a few productivity apps like Facebook, Flipboard on my iPad. It's practically as clean as a fresh install; I don't see how setting up as new will fix this lag issue.

Besides, I've never had any issues updating since b1 through b6. I'm guessing the lagginess might be a software issue.

Or maybe it's a 'feature' to get us to upgrade? :confused:

:(:(:(:(:(

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Really? Because my iPad 2 is miserably slow. Fresh, clean install as well. Even Betas 2-6 were faster than what the GM is doing for me now. I never experienced any major keyboard lag or screen lock up until I installed the GM. I was browsing MacRumors on my iPad and the page froze for literally 3 minutes. I'm just glad it doesn't cause a springboard crash when using a smart cover.

8. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I don't have lag as bad as you mentioned but there are some definite issues with the GM build on the iPad 4. I restored and set up as a new iPad, no update and no restoring of back ups.

There is still a little keyboard lag, like the last letter of words I'm typing just doesn't get recognised and I'm pretty damn near to a touch typist on iOS so I notice any little inconsistencies compared to the iOS 6 keyboard.

UI wise the usual issues still apply. The animation when using the four finger pinch to return home is still odd, it just ends so abruptly and looks incomplete. There is some slight choppiness when rotating the device between portrait and landscape mode and it's also choppy when you choose an app from the multitasking menu and the system zooms into the app you've chosen.

Other than that it is very quick and smooth, although the first time you launch the new spotlight search there is also a horrible stutter and delay between the bar coming down and the keyboard coming up, but thankfully after first launch it works flawlessly.

Definitely work to be done on the iPad build yet. I hope.

9. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Same here, and it's a complete DFU wipe AND Set as new without restoring a backup. Sad.

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I also just ran Geekbench on my iPad 4 and it gave a score of 1423 ... that's over 300 LOWER than iOS 6. :confused:

11. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Im coming from iOS 6

----------

Yes, lots of work to be done but thats not something that we should even be talking about since this is the GM. Sad Sad Sad.

12. hammm thread starter macrumors member

wow, that's a real bummer zzz

:(:(:(

13. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

the freeze while on MacRumors today may have actually been because the forum has been so busy, a couple times I tried to get on and couldn't, got a message the server was too busy.

But, the keyboard lag (and other lags) sounds similar to what I experience on iPad 1 w/iOS 5. I jailbroke it, got rid of a gazzillion extra language files and less lag, definitely improved, but it's still slow. But, did that garbage go through were tablets can no longer be jailbroken?

14. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

So far GM has been smooth on my ipad 4,I had some lag on beta 6 but so far everything is smooth on GM,and I did an icloud backup

15. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Do a rotation or 4-fingers Pinch to home gesture. Plenty of jerking there.

16. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I spoke to the guys behind Geekbench on Twitter. They said the scores between GB 2 and 3 are not comparable and the scores above are exactly that.

1700+ on iOS 6 and 1423 on iOS 7 but the guys insist that GB 3's score of 1423 is correct for that device taking into account the way it runs benchmarks versus GB 2.

17. bugout macrumors 6502a

epic lag here on ipad 4 and ios 7 GM as well.. annoying..

18. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

what? so... is the score lower on iOS 7?

19. CaptainFS macrumors newbie

On my iPad3 (wifi) it's major lag as well. Have seen the GM today on an iPad2 (wifi/gsm) performing really really smooth. Very strange.
    Rotating the ipad3 happens in like three steps, on the ipad2 the springboard rotates pretty smooth.

I've setup the iPad3 as new device, the ipad2 upgraded from beta6. Really annoying.

20. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I only know that on Geekbench 2 the iPad 4 got over 1700 running iOS 6. If someone has an iPad 4 and is still running iOS 6 they would be most helpful if they downloaded Geekbench 3 and ran the benchmark test again.

From what the guys at Geekbench said, the scores in GB 3 will be lower because it uses different benchmark tests to GB 2. I'd hazard a guess that iOS 6 on iPad 4 running iOS 6 won't get the same 1700+ score that it did on GB 2.

21. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Synthetic benchmarks have almost nothing to do with perceived OS performance.

22. AaronMT macrumors regular

AaronMT

I have the GM with a fresh install on my iPad 3 and the entire OS is sluggish and slow. It takes roughly ~12 seconds to pop a thumbnail up to set a wallpaper and ~8 to ~10 seconds to actually set it.

I'm not sure how this passed Apple performance testing and quality control.

23. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

When I first applied the upgrade from beta 6 to GM there was ungodly lag. Did the reset all settings thing and it helped smoothen it out some but there's still some lag and glitching here and there. It's not perfect by any means and I hope we see some fixes in an update soon.

24. kaiseryeahhh macrumors regular

kaiseryeahhh

iOS 7 for iPad it's a beta not a GM.
    I think iOS 7 for iPad run perfect with presentation of iPad 5

25. Jeff Chen macrumors member

Jeff Chen

My wife's iPad 4 is doing just fine, smooth and powerful, except when I drop down the spotlight bar. It will lag for a bit but then return to normal.

My son' iPad 2 (not Rev A) works unexpectedly smooth as well. Same lag happens on spotlight too.

None of these devices was wiped clean. I'm too lazy to do that.

I've also noticed that if you drag down the spotlight bar slowly, there would be no animation lag at all. It only happens when you throw it downwards. Maybe just an animation issue?

I'm now holding off on updating my wife's iPhone 4... Ppl have been saying it's laggy as hell. Still waiting for more feedbacks in order to decide.