iOS 7 is a risk the company project

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iOSOS, Jun 26, 2013.

1. iOSOS macrumors member

The iPhone have been an incredible success story for Apple but Android has been gaining ground for a couple of years. The Samsung Galaxy S3 was the first android phone that really swept the market. I have equally the number of friends that have the S3 as friends with iPhones.

My friends that uses iPhones prefers this phone because the software is easy to understand and the applications is visually appealing. The iPhone has also always had great hardware with good cameras. Hipstamatic and Instagram is two successful photo applications and the iPhone is the number one camera on Flickr.

But Instagram is also available on Android now and I bet Hipstamatic will also be on Android soon. Hipstamatic released the Oogl app last month and its a product similar to Instagram where you curate photos among your friends. iOS 7 is a flatter look that is very similar to Android. iOS system and default applications has lost the rich ui that many Apple users loved. I have heard for years many Apple users make fun of Androids flat interface and bits of ugly design elements.

So my reasoning is. Why buy an iPhone if you can buy an Android phone that has a similar ui, the same applications, better services (maps and voice search) and equally good cameras?

I am very disappointed of iOS 7. Apple should instead have refined the old ui and just removed the skeuomorphic design. iOS 7 looks childish and more like a game than a modern operating system. Not all of iOS 7 design elements are bad. i like how the popup notification menus look and how the notification drop down menu also look crisp but folders and control center has an over the top gaussian blur look. Icons is also poorly designed, buttons has been removed and menus look more plain. The feel of using iOS 7 is great but the design does not match the features.

Apple have recently been critiqued on maps and voice search where Google has a huge lead. Could Apple recover from a bad iOS 7 release? It's hard to review iOS 7 because its a visual mixed bag and the old ui had some very ugly skeuomorphic design elements. Some says that Apple still have time and that iOS 7 is still a beta release but if Apple wanted to improve some design elements they would have done it by now.

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

[/subjectiveopinion]

3. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

Also at half the price... so why would people spend on an iphone really... Only stupid/ignorant people with fanboy/sheep mentality would... Like me... :)

You should stay away... Definitely...

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. You are a sample size of one, and irrelevant.

2. instagram and hipstamatic availability is not important.

3. If you are dissappointed, go join androidrumors.com and have fun. Free market.

4. There are a lot of driving reason to buy an iPhone other than services/apps/camera. If that is your sole criteria, go buy your android that gives you the best there. You are not in the majority, Apple is not at risk.

5. Apple Maps are critiqued in the tech blog world by people digging through with a fine tooth comb. In the real world, casual users love it.

5. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Anecdotal.

6. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Wait until the final version is released and you have had time to go hands on with it yourself before passing final judgment, not on a beta product that you have only seen with screenshots.

7. atlatnesiti macrumors 6502a

Oh no, please don't encourage him to stay, we have enough ignorance and trolling on this board as it is...
    So my answer to OP is, buy S3 or S4, Samsung and Android are the best :D

8. oaktree macrumors regular

Apple markets to affluent, intelligent, forward thinking buyers.

Android markets to ...others.

9. iOSOS thread starter macrumors member

I don't think Facebook regard Instagram availability as not important since they bought Instagram for one billion dollars. If you think Apple maps is only critique in tech blogs and that casual users love it you are not well informed. Driving directions are fantastic but poi locations, valid addresses, roads are lacking. I bet you only use maps once in a while and when you do it's in a large city.

Your nr 3 it's the typical head in the sand respond and immature mentality. Do you break up with your girlfriend if she says something negative about you?

Nr 4. Tell me why you would buy an iPhone if you don't count services, the camera or applications. If you remove all these things you have a very pretty and expensive feature phone.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Very strange that you are confused by the relationship with a real person, to that with an inanimate object and a technology corporation. Let me urge you to seek professional counseling and therapy.

11. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Which "Android" are you referring to? AOSP? Touchwiz? Sense? Xperia? There is no "Android" experience; there's the Google experience, the Samsung, experience, etc. Personally I think Touchwiz looks like crap; even the more colorful iOS 7 icons look ten times more professional than the Touchwiz icons, in my opinion.

iOS 7 is a bit of a risk, but it's hardly a "risk the company" level risk. People are either going to like it or they won't, but I have an incredibly hard time buying that someone could look at iOS 7 and then decide they want to move to Samsung because of the look of the icons or the menu structure. But that's just the thing: it's all so subjective that trying to make a case for X being better than Y is fruitless. Most people who have Apple phones will keep buying Apple, and most people who have their flavor of Android will keep buying that. I don't believe for a second that anyone who truly likes their iPhone is going to leave because of the graphical changes in iOS 7, and everything else has been an improvement in my experience.

Besides, this kind of thing always happens when an OS goes through a revision in the way it looks: there's an uproar, people feel weird about it, then they get used to it, then they either like it or they don't even think about it anymore.

12. Campbellot macrumors member

Campbellot

Because its an iPhone. Many of us geeky folks seem to be quite hung up on torturing Cupertino for its choice of icons and other minor points. The reality is we want a phone that has an excellent build quality, a rich ecosystem and simplistic functionality. iOS 7 is not going to please everyone but Cupertino is making strides. They are evolving this OS into a more complicated, feature rich software while walking the fine line of not making it too complicated so that the 3 year old or the 80 year old doesn't struggle to use it.

iOS 7 is an excellent step forward and future installments will likely improve our experiences with what I would consider the best built phone and best built tablet on the market today.

13. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm rural and Maps works perfectly for me. After comparing the accuracy of multiple Maps apps, I can say Apple Maps is not as bad NOW as it was at launch and is about on par with Gmaps.

Also, one thing that really shows your character is that you're posting something negative on an Apple Forum, and then you go and get offended when some breaks down your post. Of course you're going to have people disagree on an Apple forum. Also, I don't see the "immature mentality" that he was using. He offered his counterpoints. I only see immaturity in your replies

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Two words for you: HTC First. Facebook has made a lot of desperate moves trying to invigorate their mobile business, and many have proven to be missteps. I don't know a single person who uses Instagram anymore.

15. iOSOS thread starter macrumors member

Haha, is it ignorance to post critique about Apple products in a forum about Apple products? I am not trolling. Trolling is only posting bad stuff about a company and not be open to debate. You can't see the forest for all the trees.

16. Campbellot macrumors member

Campbellot

This line is not necessary. Lets play nice. :)

17. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

I've never understood this, not a single time have I go to and Android forum and talk trash, or to a PC forum to talk Windows trash (also I'm a PlayStation fan and never go to Xbox forums), is trolling that cool?

Why people feel the need to come here and talk trash, I just don't get it, it only tells me that this is the higher standard and want to compare what they have with the best.

Still, I don't get it.

18. iOSOS thread starter macrumors member

I agree with you that the build quality of the iPhone and iPad is great.

----------

I don't come here to talk trash but to discuss my opinions. I love Apple products and I have a iPhone, Mac, 2 iPads. I think this forum is big enough to discuss these things. Don't answer if you don't want to. I am not forcing you to read my post. I just think iOS 7 design is poor.

19. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

Ok, this doesn't really say anything. You have friends who have various phones and there are similar apps on both phones. Got it.

Its a beta and not polished yet, but any discussion on what looks better is purely opinion, so this isn't much to argue over.

What is your point here? You are saying there are two similar products (in your opinion) and you want us to tell you what to buy?

Its a beta and not polished yet, but any discussion on what looks better is purely opinion, so this isn't much to argue over.

iPhone has both google maps and google voice search. There are other apps that do this too. Use the apps you like.

A lot more opinion here. Does your post have any real facts?

20. iOSOS thread starter macrumors member

You didn't understand my reply. I didn't compare an iPhone to a human being.

----------

The last part was all my own opinion. What facts do you want?

21. konicky macrumors member

I might if she said something negative about my iPhone!! :D

OP Is there a point to this thread or were you just bored ?!

22. Northernist macrumors member

Yes, I'm sure a bunch of Apple geeks (myself included) are more knowledgeable in design and the future direction of Apple than Apple themselves...

/s

23. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Taken out of context, my post looks bad.

But it was in reference to the bold/underline first paragraph of the OP

In the US alone, roughly 140million smartphone users. His sole experience of the S3 vs. iPhone among his circle of friends is only 1 of 140 million possible difference experiences. It is subjective, and irrelevant.

24. iOSOS thread starter macrumors member

Let me explain myself. I love Apple and love their products. I just tried to put myself in the mind of the general customer.

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is one behavior I have not quite understood.

Why is it that iPhone users just use their phone and are happy and Android users go out of their way to trash talk Apple and the iPhone?

It's like breaking up with your girlfriend and telling people how bad she was even though you're not with her anymore. Meanwhile, she's already moved on.