iOS 7 on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by watchthisspace, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Purant macrumors 6502

Give the app devs some time! iOS 7 isn't even out yet (officially)

2. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

They have had 3 months during the beta period to get apps working on iOS 7 actually. Yes, they've only had the last few days to submit iOS 7 optimised apps, but over the beta period many apps were updated so they at least ran decently on iOS 7. That is one of the points of the beta period.

Surprised some have left it this late.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Maybe they had it fixed internally. Who knows?

As far as the public is concerned, if it's fixed before Wednesday, all is golden.

4. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

5. Purant macrumors 6502

So they worked on them in the last few months and they are about to/just submitted them. Apple takes a while to approve (especially with all the troubles itunes connect was having recently)

6. watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

The performance and animations are definitely a subjective matter, so it's good to hear people enjoying iOS:7 on their iPhone 4.

7. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

Since doing a Reset All settings and enabling High Contrast mode I have had a really smooth experience.

I actually prefer how iOS7 looks on the iPhone 4 :rolleyes: On newer devices it looks like Windows Vista;):apple:

8. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

no AirDrop, (this is a hardware limitation)
    no parallax, no dynamic wallpapers
    no live filters with camera
    no panorama
    iOS 7 "layers" is effectively lost on iPhone 4 as there is little or no translucent effect...windows are black instead of translucent gray (notifications and such).
    I would expect iOS 7 on iPhone 4 to be laggy or slow, and may drain battery faster.

Here are part of the notes from Apple's page on iOS 7 features:

"Not all features are available on all devices.
    Panorama format is available on iPhone 4s or later and iPod touch (5th generation). Square and video formats and swipe to capture are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
    Filters in Camera are available on iPhone 5 or later and iPod touch (5th generation). Filters in Photos are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
    AirDrop is available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires an iCloud account."

9. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

So ipad 2 users don't get square and video formats and filters in photos? I feel sorry for them.

10. aditya apple macrumors newbie

I will try ios 7 final version

I will try ios 7 final version on my iphone 4 and ipad 3. I hope it works well and smooth on my iphone 4. Can you tell me that does ios 7 eat up larger space of the phone's memory than the ios 6.?

11. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Interesting that above it says camera filters are on iPhone 5 and later.

The feature is on 4s too and has been since beta 5.

I'm assuming this refers to the 3 circle icon bottom right on the camera app that gives 9 live preview thumbnails of the filters as well as "none" in the centre?

12. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Yes they do. This somehow indicates Apple initially planned not to release it for iPad 2 at all because square, video and filters in photos are available.

13. !GS51! macrumors regular

It does and it kinda is slow on the iPhone 4, im not going to update the phone until a better version comes out the 7.0 release will be a buggy one.

14. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

"Filters in Camera are available on iPhone 5 or later and iPod touch (5th generation). Filters in Photos are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation)."

yes, the "Filters in Camera" is live filters you can select before you take the photo (kind of like photobooth on mac). "Filters in Photos" filters available in edit mode after the photo has been taken.

15. watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

How are people finding opening the camera from the lock screen? There are times where it doesn't register my swipe, or only goes so far then bounces back down for me. Might need to change my screen protector though.

16. JanZmus macrumors newbie

I can confirm that 100% and I do not use a screen protector! I am sure it is a side-effect of the "laggy" springboard. Reading all the comments here and experiencing a rather laggy iPhone 4 with iOS 7 GM I am pretty sure now that the lag comes from my backup i.e. from the way data is stored or something like that. I will set up my Phone once again and try to use it before restoring my backup and if it runs smooth I will have to customize it all over again manually. Keeping an eye on this thread.

17. danb77 macrumors 6502

This was one of the issues which made me switch back to 6.1.3. Camera swipe was very slow to respond for me.

18. seble macrumors 6502a

19. mRta03 macrumors newbie

I've been noticing some bugs here and there on iPhone 4 (don't know if it happens with the other devices) but sometimes, the touch it's just too damn sensible. For example, when I want to insert an emoji and I swipe to choose the icons, it's frequent that I end up adding the emoji icons without even want to. I end up deleting 15 to just add 1...
    That is very very annoying. Hope they will fix this.

What about "Frequent Locations" on the iPhone 4?

20. watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

In iOS:6.1.3, I found opening the Emoji panel would freeze the keyboard for a few seconds until the Emoji's would load. In iOS:7 it loads up almost instantly. But I can't comment on the sensitivity part.

I don't think the iPhone 4 for Frequent Locations.

21. danb77 macrumors 6502

22. watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

23. danb77 macrumors 6502

Watchthisspace: It might be worth changing the thread title to lose the GM. Equally valid.

24. ncvikingx97 macrumors member

So everyone else seems to be seeing this heavy stutter on entering and exiting apps too? Other than that everything else isn't terrible, but hopefully this is just the "slow springboard".

25. watchthisspace thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have asked a moderator to rename it :) Cheers for point thing that out.

Some apps have been as described, others not so bad. Hopefully when apps are updated to support iOS:7, these issues will mitigate.