Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vodka

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Apple should have better close ios7 for older iphones, just so people could finally understand what it was created with new hardware in mind...gosh

MartyBeez

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
The Hague, NL
True, I'm just wondering how some of these guys are having "smooth" experiences . Pretty bizarre

I don't have a smooth experience. I use Whatsapp regularly, and typing is laggy. I am considering trying a DFU restore and then still 'delete all settings' after iCloud backup is restored. I read some tips about it. Never done it before and I'm a bit scared of breaking something.

When i finished i'll let you know how it turns out.

By the way, to all people here with a smooth experience: did you only do an OTA update or did you also perform some restoring/other tinkering tricks?

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I don't have a smooth experience. I use Whatsapp regularly, and typing is laggy. I am considering trying a DFU restore and then still 'delete all settings' after iCloud backup is restored. I read some tips about it. Never done it before and I'm a bit scared of breaking something.

By the way, to all people here with a smooth experience: did you only do an OTA update or did you also perform some restoring/other tinkering tricks?

I just restored through iTunes and set it up as a new phone.

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
... By the way, to all people here with a smooth experience: did you only do an OTA update or did you also perform some restoring/other tinkering tricks?

I just connected to iTunes and updated. No tinkering. I did not set it up as a new phone. There must be some reason why it works so well on an iPhone 4 for me and others but not for everyone. Unfortunately I don't know what that reason is.

twoehr

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
East Coast US
...The only thibg that bothers me is the old keyboard in 3d party apps. But i guess that's gonna be fixed by app updates as they come.

Is it me, or does the keyboard take up more real estate in iOS7? I noticed this in Messages, I don't think I see as much of the thread as I used to. (Did us 3.5" screen people take a hit?) I was hoping to compare, using what you noticed, but that "old keyboard" is the same size as the new one. If I compare to an iPod Touch I do see a difference, but it is awfully small. It actually looks like the keyboard is the same, but the bar you type in is taller.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Updated my iPhone4 to iOS7 today. I hardly notice any speed difference between iOS7 and iOS6.

Direct after the update I noticed some keyboard lag, but that disappeared after a few hours. Apps start quickly also.

ncvikingx97

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Ok guys, I found a "fix" for a lot of the animation lag I was experiencing, although it isn't that great. Basically, I put only 4 apps(I don't have many right now) on each page, and the animations are near perfect. Just something to try if you guys are as fed up as me. Also to the guy above, I'm sure most people know this is intended for newer devices , just wondering why it runs so poorly for some people.

MartyBeez

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
The Hague, NL

Ok as promised the result: performance has improved. Typing is better, if not good, and more snappiness all around, a smoother experience.

I did as some suggested:
1. Backup to iCloud (took hours..)
2. DFU restore to wipe the thing clean
3. Restore backup (also took very long)
And personally I also did:
4. Reset to factory settings
5. Disable: background refresh, indexing, auto app updates..

This DFU restore option feels like formatting your old PC HD and install windows freshly: all junk is gone from previous versions and updates. I had always updated my iPhone from the iOS it came with, so I guess it needed proper cleaning up.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
My dad's iPhone 4 was nearly unusable after the update. I have used Android phones for 4 years before I got my iPhone 5, so I know what "unusable" means.

I started downloading the IPSW to restore it but meanwhile tried doing a "Erase All Settings".

About a 100 iMessages came through after the reset (yeah Dad is Mr Popular). I think these were getting clogged up before.

Worked like a charm. Phone is damn smooth now. Not iPhone 5 fast but iPhone 5 smooth.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I have an iPhone 4 with 7.0.2 on it and here's my battery life, for those of you that complain that iOS 7 battery life sucks.

Attachments

• 2013-09-29 06.51.08.png
    2013-09-29 06.51.08.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 137

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
7.0.2 did a lot of good for mine, though I still think iOS 7 was a mistake. The 4G reached its EOL with iOS 6. Trying to "port" iOS 7 to it was a stupid idea. They'll never managed to run it well, it just doesn't have the oomph for it. Sure it works, but its so far on the brink of unusable, that it will never be a good experience.

Btw, I mave a MK1.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I installed it on my iphone 4 development device and set it up as new. It took 10 seconds to launch the phone app for the first time. It should never have been released for the iPhone 4.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
According to this article:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Guide-Fix-iOS-7-Keyboard-Lag-on-iPhone-4-385447.shtml

Turning off iCloud documents and data fixes the keyboard lag! Sounds promising! Can anyone here verify? (My i4 is back on 6.1.3)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
My girlfriends iPhone 4 on iOS7 is borderline unusable for me. I don't know how she puts up with it. Unlocking stutters and lags, apps take forever to load and you can forget about taking pictures unless you want to wait an eternity. I've never seen a phone take that long to snap and take a picture. What's worse is she still has a year and a half left on her contract.

I'm considering paying up front for a 4S or 5 and giving it to her for christmas.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 with 7.0.2 on it and here's my battery life, for those of you that complain that iOS 7 battery life sucks.

It's been plugged in since last full charge, and you don't have a battery percentage.

I refuse to believe the above poster that the 4 can be as smooth as the 5 after you reset all settings. I'll try that on my 4, but there's just no way it can get to the 5's fluidity (which isn't even perfect).

Altered3

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
iOS 7 working great on my AT&T iPhone 4

No complaints here, and the single biggest improvement for me is Bluetooth reliability. With iOS 6 I needed to completely shut down and restart the phone nearly every day, because Bluetooth would stop connecting to my car and headset.

With iOS 7, rock solid Bluetooth connections. Also love the control center for the fast access to wifi/bluetooth/airplane/torch. I'm thinking this iPhone 4 should last long enough for me to get the iPhone 6 next year.

jmontana

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010

OTA for me. After using it for a while, I have a couple of issues, but nothing major. I was having trouble accessing the camera from the lock screen. Every time I would try to pull up on the camera, it would go about halfway, and then fall back down. I finally realized I have to pull it all the way up to the top, and then it works.

I'm not a huge fan of the lock screen on the 4. It's just too much stuff packed into too small a space. I think on the 5, it might work better because you have more real estate. But being able to swipe right, down, and up (in two difference places!) is confusing, and it doesn't always respond as you would expect.

That said, I never used the built-in Clock app for the timer function before, opting to use Due instead. With the new control center, I use the timer a lot now. I love that it shows the time remaining right on the lock screen. Good stuff.

For the person's girlfriend with the very slow camera problem, I don't know what to say. I feel like my 4 takes pictures faster than it did with iOS 6. Whereas in 6, you would click the shutter button, and then have to wait for it to suck the picture into the preview pane in the lower left, now it takes the picture, and you can take another picture before that animation occurs. It's really nice.

My other issue is that I have had some spontaneous reboots. No clue what that's about, but I'm hoping that'll get worked out with 7.0.3 or 7.1 or whatever is next.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I am impressed how ios 7 work, battery life is good, it runs animations quite well, yes it is a bit laggy but it is usuable :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.